Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 06 Grand Final and our 07 first half disasters

Cool

It astonishes me that a critique like "Jude's no good" can come from a person who watches the game. He might not be up to his past sublime standard at the moment but he still "puts in" with all he's got. Really, you could pick absolutely anyone to pieces when does anyone play the perfect game every moment. Even our best player, which is a week by week opinion, get a few clangers and cringe worthy moments. If anyone has an injury and can't play at their usual level, do you think the club is going to let anyone know until there's no denying it? It only allows the opposition information and information regarding the players condition is and always will be a closely guarded secret.

Veterans List
    The fact is we have now played 56 quarters for the year and Bolton has played 1 very good quarter. Last week you could say his 4 quarter effort related to 1 good quarter.

He is a midfielder who has kicked a couple of goals this season and missed a poultice of set shots inside 30 metres. His glorious kick way out on the full against Collingwood while trying to pinpoint a 20 metre pass to a contest typifies his garbage season. Last week he had a quarter more time on the ground than Schmidt yet had only 4 more possessions. Schmidt found space and has penetration in his kicks, had key possessions that got us moving in the 3rd Q, gets clean possession, does not nausiatingly kick around corners and kicks the ball more than a metre off the ground.

Until Bolton turns it around and adds serious value to the team I will continue to label him.

Quote Originally Posted by floppinab View Post
    I don't think BMR was serious their NMW, settle down

This is a very interesting one. Funnily enough I asked Hall a question the week prior to the season start this year whether the club, as a club (i.e. Football management, coaching staff, players) had or would sit down and analyse what went wrong in the first half of the '06 GF, looking across the whole preceding week, preparation etc. as well as what happened on field with tactics, players, etc.

His response was very much, not interested in looking backward, no value in it, looking forward now, etc. etc. which I found a bit strange in that during the season proper a reasonable review of the previous game is path for the course.

It's easy to say in hindsight of course with regard as to our poor first halves this year but you would it might be a good idea to have a look at it. Even at this stage of the season, I'm no pyscho but it might be a way to fire them up.
    Very high risk player managment strategy there, it may work and fire them up or they could just drop their bundle.

Either way it would bring the horror story of the first half of the GF out into the open and that would be a good thing.

I say lets do it .... !!!

Anyone got one of those screening rooms that they have in "A Clockwork Orange" where criminals are forced to watch videos of the old Ultraviolence ??
    Last edited by general mac; 13th July 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    It astonishes me that a critique like "Jude's no good" can come from a person who watches the game. He might not be up to his past sublime standard at the moment but he still "puts in" with all he's got.
    Really LOL!! !!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Firstly, West Coast weren't doped up to the eyeballs so we should get over that once and for all.

Secondly, when West Coast lost a close grand final it motivated them to go one better the following year. In Sydney's case, they had won in 2005 so despite the disappointment when they went away on their end of season break they still had their 05 medal to look at.

The psychology of the club was laid bare with Roos' now infamous (for some of us here on RWO anyway) ying and yang post-match comments to the media when he said the team had a lot to be proud of, that he'd be more disappointed if they hadn't won in 2005, and that 1-1 was a fair result for both teams.

No wonder Sydney has responded differently - the hurt of losing in '06 is nulified by the euphoria of having won a year earlier.
    WCE in '06 were far and away the best team in the comp. 17-5 home and away record and we just scraped in the top 4. The big wake up call for them was the 1 point loss in the qualifying final to us, in the next week they belted the bulldogs by 74 and beat the crows by 10 in the prelim.

That form was carried over in the 1st half of the granny, which I felt @ half time was going to be a total blowout, little was I going to know that the closeness would contine into '07).

I reckon if the west coke eagles lost the grand final after being in front all day long they would have been absolutely shattered to bits and it would have killed them for 2-3 seasons.

Imagine losing in '05 by 4 points after leading by 10 point one stage in the 3rd qtr and then losing in '06 after leading by 5 goals in the 2nd qtr. I'd have found that hard to take if I was a player.

So let's just hope we belt em this weekend, they're supposedly getting 7 players back and if they lose then I hope they slide out of the 8 and have an early end of season trip to Ibiza or whereever they go....

most probably they go to Iceland!
    lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123