Thread: Latest Sydney AFL poll

Latest Sydney AFL poll

The latest poll on the Sydney AFL website asks the question.

"How many field umpires should officiate in premier division senior matches"

I suggest we all vote 1 or none and save all of our clubs some money in fees, if they are not allowed to bring their labradors on the field as well, then the number of them is insignificant.
    Last edited by Norris Lurker; 24th July 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Almost Football Legend
    I was surprised to see that poll there - I wouldn't have thought reducing the number of senior umpires would even be a matter up for consideration.
    The only reason I can think of is that umpiring numbers must be short and they're looking for a reason to spread them around some divisions where they can't get umpires.

For all the @@@@ that we give to umpires (and believe me, I've seen some shocking calls this year), it's an incredibly tough job. Our game is unique in being the only one where the umpire has to actually perform an act of skill with the ball, and the level of running they have to do is equal to the players - sometimes I wonder how some of the older umpires, like Kalayzich and Lewis who must be well into their 40s, manage to keep up. And they cop so much @@@@ as well. Is it any wonder it's so hard to find umpires?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    I was surprised to see that poll there - I wouldn't have thought reducing the number of senior umpires would even be a matter up for consideration.
    The only reason I can think of is that umpiring numbers must be short and they're looking for a reason to spread them around some divisions where they can't get umpires.

For all the @@@@ that we give to umpires (and believe me, I've seen some shocking calls this year), it's an incredibly tough job. Our game is unique in being the only one where the umpire has to actually perform an act of skill with the ball, and the level of running they have to do is equal to the players - sometimes I wonder how some of the older umpires, like Kalayzich and Lewis who must be well into their 40s, manage to keep up. And they cop so much @@@@ as well. Is it any wonder it's so hard to find umpires?
    Sadly they are in serious decline.They do not have a good feel for the game, their communication is poor and they have nothing to do with the players at all.They bolt for the door once the game has finished.A bit different to when one or two since retired gents used to put a few quiet ones away with the players after every match.You mightn't have liked some of their decisions on the field but you respected them for having the courage to come back and mix. Massive amounts of money has gone into them of late and we are worse off.Several have left and many will at the end of the year.They are leaderless and confused.They hate training. Let's hope something can happen so they don't SPOIL the finals.We need good umpires in Sydney.You're right Norris! No one coming through so the 40 year olds are the best. Rumour has it a significant resignation is on the way.
    Spoiler

As a player i find the the young umpires get intimidated and lose the plot as soon as any niggle or crap starts. the umpiring in the balmain penno game on the weekend was the worst i've seen since being in sydney.

Suspended by the MRP

Angry No wonder they are in decline

Would you want to umpire when clubs allow this to happen like penno, 4 reports this season for Abusive and Threatening Conduct toward an umpire for a total of 16 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spoiler View Post
    Sadly they are in serious decline.They do not have a good feel for the game, their communication is poor and they have nothing to do with the players at all.They bolt for the door once the game has finished.A bit different to when one or two since retired gents used to put a few quiet ones away with the players after every match.You mightn't have liked some of their decisions on the field but you respected them for having the courage to come back and mix. Massive amounts of money has gone into them of late and we are worse off.Several have left and many will at the end of the year.They are leaderless and confused.They hate training. Let's hope something can happen so they don't SPOIL the finals.We need good umpires in Sydney.You're right Norris! No one coming through so the 40 year olds are the best. Rumour has it a significant resignation is on the way.

Warming the Bench
    i have to say the Umpires were crap in the Bombers game
    North Shore Bombers forever

Thumbs down 3 Umpire System

The reason for 3 umpires is to provide pathways for aspiring AFL umpires and attract aspiring AFL umpires to Sydney AFL.

If the 3 umpire system is not available in Sydney, those umpires who are seeking a pathway to the AFL will by-pass Sydney and take their umpiring elsewhere where such a pathway is offered.

As for all the comments on the standard, you are all entitled to your opinions but just remember that when an umpire blows his/her whistle, you are only ever going to please 18 people on the field and displease the other 18.

In saying that, constructive criticism is fantastic. It improves an umpire, just as constructive criticism improves a player. Criticism on its own though is pretty lame and will just drive umpires away.

Quote Originally Posted by Offal View Post
    The reason for 3 umpires is to provide pathways for aspiring AFL umpires and attract aspiring AFL umpires to Sydney AFL.

If the 3 umpire system is not available in Sydney, those umpires who are seeking a pathway to the AFL will by-pass Sydney and take their umpiring elsewhere where such a pathway is offered.

As for all the comments on the standard, you are all entitled to your opinions but just remember that when an umpire blows his/her whistle, you are only ever going to please 18 people on the field and displease the other 18.

In saying that, constructive criticism is fantastic. It improves an umpire, just as constructive criticism improves a player. Criticism on its own though is pretty lame and will just drive umpires away.
    That's my point! They drive away before having a drink! The concern is widespread and not confined to losers.Something needs to happen soon. Perhaps that can be the BP man's new job. Look after the umpires and they could wear green and gold! Umpires have been criticised since Abraham played ruck for The Ark.That is just an excuse.There are so few at SAFL games the criticism is minimal.Just compare it to what happens in the VFL and SANFL.There aren't any umpires here who are any where near AFL standard, so don't worry about using 3. 2 should be quite enough and it wont SPOIL the game.
    Spoiler