Thread: Ladder falling into place again

Ladder falling into place again

I think most agree we needed to win our last 6 games straight and then hope results go our way to get into the top 4.

Collingwood's loss is an excellent result for us as they had the softest draw of all coming in. However now we will finish higher than them as long as we win all our remaining matches (which includes of course Collingwood in round 21).

So, IF we do win our next 5...

* We are guaranteed to finish equal to or higher than the Pies - superior % will see us finish higher.
    * We will finish equal to or higher than the Hawks if they lose to the Roos today
    * We then need Port to lose 1 or Kangas to lose 2 to secure a top 4 spot.

The Roos have a very tough run in: Hawthorn, Brisbane, West Coast & Geelong. If they lose 2 of those then we'll go higher.

Just as happened last year, the results are falling the way we need them to so it comes down to a question of whether the Swans are good enough this year to beat St Kilda, Brisbane, Collingwood and Hawthorn in our run home.

I fear we'll drop one but live in hope anyway.

It is a fantastic test for us. I don't like to say it, cos it sounds really generic, but our finals series starts now. If we are good enough to win all of our remaining games (all except one against quality opposition), then I will go in to the finals with belief that we can do it again. Bazz definitely played himself in to some good form last night and to be honest, it was nowhere near the best I have seen him play so hopefully he can keep getting better. I saw somebody write in to the Hun yesterday RE why we played Bazz and Tadgh against Carlton and then they were injured/rested for the WC game...well, hopefully this was a masterstroke by Roosy...if we win all of our remaining games then maybe it was the game we had to drop. Ooops, I am getting way too far ahead of myself...we only just beat Richmond.
    Go you mighty BLOODBOYS!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodboy View Post
    I saw somebody write in to the Hun yesterday RE why we played Bazz and Tadhg against Carlton and then they were injured/rested for the WC game...well, hopefully this was a masterstroke by Roosy...if we win all of our remaining games then maybe it was the game we had to drop. Ooops, I am getting way too far ahead of myself...we only just beat Richmond.
    It's funny how today, after a good but not great win, the strange selections of the last two weeks make more sense. It certainly appears that Roos had last weeks game penciled in as a loss.

Winning the next 5 will be a big big ask.

I'd love to see it but just can't. Our last four games are all against others in the same "must win" situation. The Saints game is the one that looms as the toughest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    The Saints game is the one that looms as the toughest to me.
    Interesting how we all think.

I see that as our easiest, clearly.

Not to say easy, just easiest of our last 4, although a young Hawthorn may have had enough come Round 22.

In my opinion there 2 very tough game coming up that might indicate where we finish in the end. Those two games are : vs. The Lions at the GABBA and the Pies at the MCG. If we' re not careful we'll have to fight the Hawks in R22 to stay in the 8.

Veteran Site Admin
    It's actually a pretty good sequence for a quality team making a late top 4 charge. Four tough games against decent opposition but avoiding the three absolute top form teams at the moment. None will be easy, all are winnable and all are loseable too.

I'm not convinced yet that we are of sufficient quality this season to be able to pull it off, but if we do, we will be set for a strong finals showing. I hate those late season games against no hopers - like Carlton and Brisbane last year and the Hawks the year before - because I reckon a soft win in rounds 21-22 can get a team into bad habits.

If we can't win three out of the four, we have no right to be competing with Geelong, the Roos and the Wiggles for the flag. It would be nice to have just one more win on the board right now, because I think dropping one game wouldn't be disasterous formwise - but in our current situation it will be positionwise.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon a soft win in rounds 21-22 can get a team into bad habits.
    I agree with everything you said Liz except this, given how we finished in 2005 and 2006.

On the veteran's list

Bucky's point

If Buchanan's snap had have bounced straight, we'd be top four now. But it didn't did it!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    I agree with everything you said Liz except this, given how we finished in 2005 and 2006.

I realised as I was typing that the evidence didn't back up my premise. But despite the excellent finals campaigns in those years, I'd still rather we didn't have soft games to end the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    If Buchanan's snap had have bounced straight, we'd be top four now. But it didn't did it!
    what about if everitt hadnt of punched the point through
    Theres not much left to say