Thread: Luke Power reported

Senior Player

Luke Power reported

Since Luke Power was reported for charging Craig Bolton why wasn't Bolton awarded a 50 metre penalty? Umpires are crap!

Because it was in the actual play that Bolton was interfered with. He had not taken the mark.

Had Bolton taken the mark and then Power hit him, it would have 50m penalty. The umpire made the correct decision.
    Swannies for life!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Because it was in the actual play that Bolton was interfered with. He had not taken the mark.

Had Bolton taken the mark and then Power hit him, it would have 50m penalty. The umpire made the correct decision.
    Matt I disagree on that one. He wasn't in the contest. Bolton was setting himself to take the mark when Power simply charged him without an intent of a correct spoil, he didn't even disguise it. If he gets off it is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post

Watch it again Matt.

He took the mark.

Just a brain fade from the umpire, how could you report Power but not award 50?

Veteran Site Admin
    Was "amusing" to hear Lynch immediately state there was nothing in it and point out that Power and Bolton are great mates.

Power had no chance of competing for that ball and he left the ground and hit Bolton with force. I wonder if he was aware who he was hitting - not his mate Bolton but the Bolton who was doing a pretty decent job at keeping their obvious matchwinner under control.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Was "amusing" to hear Lynch immediately state there was nothing in it and point out that Power and Bolton are great mates.

Power had no chance of competing for that ball and he left the ground and hit Bolton with force. I wonder if he was aware who he was hitting - not his mate Bolton but the Bolton who was doing a pretty decent job at keeping their obvious matchwinner under control.
    I agree Liz it was "amusing",yeh great mates yeh right Power just lined him up for a hit and wasnt even looking at the ball.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Blog Entries
    MMM radio boys asked the same qn at the time. Should've been a 50.

Veteran Site Admin
    Just had a read of what the Brisbane fans on BF are saying about it.

Apparently it is the worst report so far this season, barely even a free kick even. Thought about responding but thought better of it. Would probably be accused of sour grapes because we "lost".

Given a choice, would rather Power got suspended than Roe. Roe's actions probably saved him injury and made little difference to Brennan's. Indeed, it may even have lessened the impact on Brennan compared to a head on head collision.

At best, Power's was a monumental lack of judgement and he had a choice not to contest a ball he was never going to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Just had a read of what the Brisbane fans on BF are saying about it.

Apparently it is the worst report so far this season, barely even a free kick even. Thought about responding but thought better of it. Would probably be accused of sour grapes because we "lost".

Given a choice, would rather Power got suspended than Roe. Roe's actions probably saved him injury and made little difference to Brennan's. Indeed, it may even have lessened the impact on Brennan compared to a head on head collision.

At best, Power's was a monumental lack of judgement and he had a choice not to contest a ball he was never going to get to.
    Umm and some were saying that Lions fans are ok
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Matt I disagree on that one. He wasn't in the contest. Bolton was setting himself to take the mark
    If Bolton was setting himself up to take "a mark" then he hadn't taken "a mark" and therefore it wasn't "a mark" but a free kick (which by the way was what the umpire paid) where the umpire under the rule can't give 50 unless something else took place (which didn't). So sadly for us the correct call was made because the umpire decided to pay a free kick and not a mark.

If a mark was paid then he should of (and most likely would of) paid 50.

when Power simply charged him without an intent of a correct spoil, he didn't even disguise it.
    Hence why the umpire paid the free kick and reported Power. The umpire clearly at no stage though Bolton had taken control of the ball to pay a mark (yes I know he would of if Power didn't charge him, but that's besides the point). It's a question of what came first the Chicken or the egg? Swans fans will say the mark and therefore a 50 should of been paid, but the umpire will say a free kick came first and hence he paid one and correctly handled the play as the rules state they should be.

If he gets off it is a joke.
    That will be up to Chook Lotto on Monday, I wouldn't be too surprised though because he didn't collect the head. Personally I would give him a week, but simular types of charges have seen player walk.
    Last edited by robbieando; 19th August 2007 at 10:48 PM.
    Once was, now elsewhere