Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look beyond '05

Look beyond '05

Point all you want at the players for these lack-lustre performances...then ask yourself, do they look like they are playing the type of game that is natural to them? Oh hell no. Our santified coach, who is such a nice guy (if you remember they said the same about Buckenara..remember his record) refuses to imagine the game outside his one sided view...he has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found wanting.

But....you cannot take the 05 result out of the equation when you weigh up what he has achieved. It's always easy to be selective when you want to weight an argument in your favour.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Up the mighty swannies!!!
    Honestly wheat fire....what an absolute useless post.

Roosy has taken us to a premiership that I for one never thought I'd get to see. He has also taken us to a prelim and a gf....

Obviously he can't coach for crap.......

Also in any one team....you are going to get such a variety of players that a particular style of game will look natural to some and unnatural to others. It is a team game.... so the team has to play in one way. Not a group of individuals all playing the way they want to.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think I must have watched a different game of football last night to at least half the posters on this board.

Lacklustre? I thought it was a tremendous game of footy. Sure there were errors. Both teams let themselves down with kicking at goal. But the commitment and pressure for four quarters didn't let up.

It's a pisser that we lost the game. We should have won it. But at no time did I get the impression that the Swans weren't switched on or playing a style they are very comfortable with. Same as last week.

I was trying to say this in another thread. You have to look at Brisbanes form over the past 4-6 weeks to realise that we did not play that badly last night. Yes we should have won, but a draw with Brisbane in the form they are in is far from disgraceful.

EDIT: Liz, I see you have seen where I made this statement.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 19th August 2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    So far we have had four full seasons with Roos. Our worst season so far saw us eliminated in the second week of the finals. We have played a total of eleven finals for seven wins and four losses. Those finals include three preliminary finals, two Grand Finals, and one premiership.

I remember when finals appearances were rare and usually saw us losing whatever finals we played. I remember what it was like not to play finals for several years in a row. I remember what it was like to go for months without winning a game. I remember when the survival of the club itself came down to the outcome of an AFL board meeting.

We are really spoilt right now, so much so that a relatively average performance from an injury-depleted side is seen as doom and gloom. But is it really that bad? Being mindful of the past, I don't think so.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Just came on line to have a look for the first time since last night.

We need to close this forum down after a loss for a day.

Yes we could and should have won last night, but by no means did we play badly or lose to a team that is not playing well, far from it.

We will make the finals and will give any side one hell of a fight, it's just going to be real hard to win 4 in a row.

I am also quietly confident that once again next year with the injection of a couple these younger guys that look promising that we will again be in good position to challenge again as the bulk of the side will still be together.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

On the Rookie List

It does seem the Swans are on a downslide.

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Just came on line to have a look for the first time since last night.

We need to close this forum down after a loss for a day.

Yes we could and should have won last night, but by no means did we play badly or lose to a team that is not playing well, far from it.

We will make the finals and will give any side one hell of a fight, it's just going to be real hard to win 4 in a row.

I am also quietly confident that once again next year with the injection of a couple these younger guys that look promising that we will again be in good position to challenge again as the bulk of the side will still be together.
    The problem is that Hall, O'Loughlin, Barry and Kirk are on the wrong side of 30 (also Everitt). It currently seems that Hall is on a lond downward spiral, unless it is his injuries that have brought him back to an average player at best.

Our much vaunted forward line is only a shadow of its past and we all know the quality of the midfield.

I suspect unless the Swans pull off some big recruiting coup that we have seen the best of this group.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by originalswan View Post
    The problem is that Hall, O'Loughlin, Barry and Kirk are on the wrong side of 30 (also Everitt). It currently seems that Hall is on a lond downward spiral, unless it is his injuries that have brought him back to an average player at best.

Our much vaunted forward line is only a shadow of its past and we all know the quality of the midfield.

I suspect unless the Swans pull off some big recruiting coup that we have seen the best of this group.
    I think we can realistically hope for one more year of being ultra-competitive.

As always, it will need luck with injuries but I don't think we know yet whether Hall's injuries will mend or if it is just a sign of the age of his body. He's been so durable during his time with us that it's hard to guess.

Spida reckoned he'd got two good years left in him. Let's hope he was right.

And I don't think Kirk's age is a concern at all. He's not going to lose any pace because he never had any. He started top level footy at a fairly old age so won't have had much wear and tear. And many midfielders go on playing grand footy well into their mid thirties - think Harvey, Bradley etc

As well as Hall, Monty and Tiger have had very injury affected seasons. Yes, you can't assume that you'll go through a season without any but you can be optimistic that your most important players won't get them.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Malceski to keep on getting better. There's something about him that suggests this year was indicative of what is to come.

Leo and Magic I'm less confident about predicting how long their bodies will hold out.

Down back remains the biggest concern - a bit ironically since it's been the best performed unit of the team by a long long way. But the level of reliance on Bolton has to be a bit of a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Fire View Post
    Point all you want at the players for these lack-lustre performances...then ask yourself, do they look like they are playing the type of game that is natural to them? Oh hell no. Our santified coach, who is such a nice guy (if you remember they said the same about Buckenara..remember his record) refuses to imagine the game outside his one sided view...he has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found wanting.
    As a long term supporrter of South and then Sydney, I have been reading RWO for two years, but have only just registered, as the sort of comments from Wheatfire, should be put into perspective.
    After being through the Skilton era, when one of the true champions of VFL, played his entire career, for zero finals appearnaces, except his last game, we must put SFC performances into perspective. if we compare previous years, is our reference point "last year", the last "2 years", the last "10 years" or beyond.
    By any comparison, our performances in the last ten years, compare favourably with any other team in the competition: Ten years, three grandfinals, one premiership, above normal finals performances.
    We cant expect to win every game, every week, every flag, and as long as our team are in there having "a go" each and every week, we can ask for no more, but to be in there offering our support for our club and constructive criticism, but constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by originalswan View Post

I don't agree with you on that one originalswan, this year we have once again produced a year where the difference between our best and worst football is close and consistent.

At the start of the year you would have said both Hall and Kennelly are our two most important players and for reasons of injuries to both we have had to cope with both those players playing below their usual output.

Put both of those two back into the side with the rest performing at their current output and we are certainly very close to being able to produce another year where top 4 is likely.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think I must have watched a different game of football last night to at least half the posters on this board.

Lacklustre? I thought it was a tremendous game of footy. Sure there were errors. Both teams let themselves down with kicking at goal. But the commitment and pressure for four quarters didn't let up.

It's a pisser that we lost the game. We should have won it. But at no time did I get the impression that the Swans weren't switched on or playing a style they are very comfortable with. Same as last week.
    I agree Liz with 30 seconds to go my first post match post was going to be "one gutsy win". But as it turned out it was one gutsy draw.

At the end of the first Q I thought that inaccuracy aside, we played premiership football. We completely controlled the game but to Brisbane's credit they hung in there and we didn't press home our advantage in the second Q.

As far as the future goes with players of the calibre of Brennan and Barlow stepping up we look like we may have added a bit to our future nucleus. Lets not forget Brennan was a top 10 draftee and he improved quite a lot last night and indeed he hasn't played a lot of footy. I reckon he has huge a upside to his game and Barlow showed, without getting too carried away, that he has the endurance and build of Adam Goodes. To continue right to the end first up in a fierce contest like that, I thought was something special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast