Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Lie of the Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    Advantages of the top 4 over bottom 4 as I see it:

5. Win or lose, you are guaranteed to play your second final at home - for positions 5&6, home ground advantage ends in week 1.
    I guess this is the real advantage. As I'd rather play in week 2 at rthe SCG than Footy Park or Subiaco.

No, the real advantage is that in 1 game in week one of the finals can pretty much set you up for a grand final.

The difference between 4th and 5th is huge.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Top 4 sets up a chance at a home prelim final. Being in the top 4 is absolutely gold if you want to be any chance of winning the whole thing. 5th is an empty feeling.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    The difference between 4th and 5th is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Top 4 sets up a chance at a home prelim final. Being in the top 4 is absolutely gold if you want to be any chance of winning the whole thing. 5th is an empty feeling.
    Yeah, I get this - not that stupid.

My original point was in relation to the *actual* teams we would play in week one (Cats-away vs whoever finishes 8th-at home) - not some theoretical or statistical outcome.

IMO, on current form, both games would have us play in week 2 of the finals.

So, Jeffers, perhaps you are going to have that empty feeling either way...

Therefore as I said in my last post, perhaps the only real advantage is that we get a home game in week 2.

On the veteran's list
    Geelong are vulnerable more to us than any other side. We nearly got them at SS without BBBB and Tadhg. While we probably won't have Tadhg next time, we won't be playing them at the skinny-gutted cattery on a wet windy home ground advantage type day either. And I still think there is a bit of knee shaking if they have to play us in a final after the Nicky D heist of 2005.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

On the veteran's list
    Geelong are vulnerable more to us than any other side. We nearly got them at SS without BBBB and Tadhg. While we probably won't have Tadhg next time, we won't be playing them at the skinny-gutted cattery on a wet windy home ground advantage type day either. And I still think there is a bit of knee shaking if they have to play us in a final after the Nicky D heist of 2005.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I don't think "we nearly got them" - they were comfortably in front for most of the game. Like the game last Sunday, a late comeback by the 'Roos against Geelong didn't mean it was close.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I for one certainly think Geelong are vulnerable to say the least- they have been the outstanding team all year but the last month they havent looked half as impressive for the 8-12 weeks before that. Get them away from SS and I think its a different proporsition come finals time. If they turn up and play to their potential I think they will win the whole thing hands down, but I still have questions come finals time.... Im not sure they can step it up the extra notches needed. Saying that, the way that there main competition is falling apart they might not need to. The Egos are struggling with injuries and will hurt plenty with the loss of Kerr, the Rooboys are pretenders imo, Hawthorn are great on their day but Im not sure they are ready yet and Port- well who knows? Then there is us and the rest in the bottom half of the eight who just have to get to the finals before thinking about anything else.

The competition is open though imo. If Geelong can kick it up a couple of gears come finals time I think they will win it, but I have serious doubts and if someone (eg WCE or us.) run into them and can play hardened finals footy and cut off their ability to run like they have all year, then they might not be half as formidable as they have been. The rate we are going it wont be us though, I think WCE are the only ones who potentially stand between the Cats and an elusive flag!

I never say never for our swans.... itll only take one upset and we could still make the 4- cant see it happening but if it did Id give us more then a shot if we brought our A game along come finals time!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789