Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans are just making up the finals numbers for '07

On the Rookie List
    I know the season isn't over yet, but I think there are a few lessons that can be learnt from our journey thus far:

1. We can't just expect the late-season surge to happen every year.

2. There's no substitute for consistent, four-quarter efforts. For a few years we have relied much too heavily on our ability to finish games well. Last year we got away with it, this year we weren't quite as good or as lucky.

3. Our game plan only works when the playing intensity is high and most (if not all) players on the ground pull their weight. This year there have been far too many passengers.

4. Opposition coaches have worked out how to beat us. Ironically, to beat the Swans it seems that you need to use a similar game plan - put pressure on the ball carrier and push numbers back into the Swans F50. It might be time for Roos to be more flexible with his game-day tactics.

5. We have some decent young players, but they're either being wasted, or not being played. We found out in the second half of the season that Jarrad McVeigh can actually play football. Perhaps Roos should think about giving him more freedom to do his thing.

6. We need a new key forward. Hall is probably past his best, hopefully he can get himself right for next year. O'Laughlin will not play much longer. IMO O'Keefe should be our next FF or CHF. We saw how damaging he can be against West Coast when played up forward.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    You have some positive messages...???

I went to see WC v. StK last night, and we are so far behind WC it's not funny.
    Hmmm...Drunks versus druggies....who won?
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    Question:

If we smack Hawthorn by 10 goals next week and get barry/kennelly/LRT back for the first game of the finals is our season still over?
    And if we beat Hawthorn by 200 points and every other side loses their top 5 players and all our injured players suddenly get better, then our season's also back on track...
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Regular in the Side
    mcs - I disagree about Thomas, he's a future star. Add Pendlebury, H. Shaw, Goldsack, Rusling and Collingwood are looking good. I'm not saying they're favourites for the Premiership but there's a lot to like.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    And if we beat Hawthorn by 200 points and every other side loses their top 5 players and all our injured players suddenly get better, then our season's also back on track...
    Sarcastic..but true
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by swan_song View Post
    Hmmm...Drunks versus druggies....who won?
    Blow > Booze

Great effort by WC given their injuries and that StKilda was on fire in the first quarter.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Unfortunate choice of words.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
    5. We have some decent young players, but they're either being wasted, or not being played. We found out in the second half of the season that Jarrad McVeigh can actually play football. Perhaps Roos should think about giving him more freedom to do his thing.
    Seriously???
    Do his thing? Consistently pass the ball back to the opposition?
    McVeigh had two outstanding games this whole season - is this round 21? Too little, too late.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    We can beat any team, anywhere.
    I thought we'd win tonight and last week and be in the top 4. I also thought we'd beat Essendon a few weeks ago and we'd be second. In past years we could beat anyone. That isn't an axiom. Eventually things change.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
    6. We need a new key forward. Hall is probably past his best, hopefully he can get himself right for next year. O'Laughlin will not play much longer. IMO O'Keefe should be our next FF or CHF. We saw how damaging he can be against West Coast when played up forward.
    Our forward set-up hasn't worked so well this year. Opposition teams "put numbers behind the ball" and force us out wide. Too many times we're Hall-centric and minus a crumber at the drop of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Collingwood is a conundrum to me. I thought they went in hard tonight but that was it- a lot of their kicking was poor in my opinion and a lot of their options werent good either. They do have some good decent young players but some like Thomas are massively overhyped and will never be much more then solid footballers imo.
    I thought Collingwood was just average tonight (which shows how bad we were). However, I do think they have some decent young players, who I think will get better over time.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Haddad View Post
    Seriously???
    Do his thing? Consistently pass the ball back to the opposition?
    McVeigh had two outstanding games this whole season - is this round 21? Too little, too late.
    Granted, he hasn't had a great season. My point is, I think he would be a lot more valuable if he was given freedom to run. In the games where he has been allowed to do that, he has at least shown some promise. But Roos only seems interested in using him as a tagger.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast