Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Swans are just making up the finals numbers for '07

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I thought Collingwood was just average tonight (which shows how bad we were). However, I do think they have some decent young players, who I think will get better over time.
    The best aspect of their game was their defensive pressure. They knew our game would fall apart if we didn't have time to pinpoint our passes. Never gave us and inch all night and it was the same earlier this year at Telstra Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    Our forward set-up hasn't worked so well this year. Opposition teams "put numbers behind the ball" and force us out wide. Too many times we're Hall-centric and minus a crumber at the drop of the ball.
    I often wonder why Davis doesn't get much of the ball - I got to see tonight. Many many times they ignore him and kick it over his head to Hall. A classic one was Kirk or O'Keefe trying to kick the ball over Wakelin's head to Hall running back, while Davis had beaten his man and was on a good lead 40m out on a 45 deg angle. We look to Hall far too much and now he is struggling it is a big problem - we kick far too few goals.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
    Granted, he hasn't had a great season. My point is, I think he would be a lot more valuable if he was given freedom to run. In the games where he has been allowed to do that, he has at least shown some promise. But Roos only seems interested in using him as a tagger.
    Yep - I want McVeigh to have a proper run of being a ball player to see what he can do.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Regular in the Side
    Just digressing, how many times did Quartermaine say "he's out-pointed" or "so-and-so out-points so-and-so"? Is that term used much normally?

If Hawthorn wins tomorrow (and therefore we're unable to have a home final), I would hope that Jared Crouch has some long hard thinking to do this week. If he is to jump or be pushed in the off-season, it would be good for him to bite the bullet this week, and be given a send-off worthy of his 10 years of performances for the Swans.

Similarly, if MOL is to give it away in the off-season (which is possible, and would be a decision I feel agnostic about), it would be tragic if he wasn't farewelled by a SCG crowd. Trusting that his injury comes up okay.

With the exception of Brennan (who might be the answer in defence for some mediocre Melboure-based side, but not Sydney) and Bevan (like, whatever), I don't think the flaw of this side is in our younger blokes. You are can argue back and forth about who should go, but to get the necessary improvement out of this group, the pressure has to be on the guys at or towards the upper end of the age range. But not Everitt, who's been great.

PS Collingwood played well tonight and match up well on Sydney, but they're about as much of a threat for the flag as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The best aspect of their game was their defensive pressure. They knew our game would fall apart if we didn't have time to pinpoint our passes. Never gave us and inch all night and it was the same earlier this year at Telstra Stadium.
    So true. Their disposal was average, and was a lot of their decision making, but their running and tackling was first rate.

Amazing how many times when we tackled they would push us off, we'd fall to the ground and they'd get away.

When they tackled, even if we pushed them off, they'd keep their feet and go back in again, thus giving us no space or time.

Just digressing, how many times did Quartermaine say "he's out-pointed" or "so-and-so out-points so-and-so"? Is that term used much normally?
    Yes.

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    The truth is we don't have the Indians... we have three or four A+ players, a few A players, a couple of Bs, but the rest of the team unfortunately fall into the C and D categories -- still "reasonable" players, but nothing out of the box! Oh yes, and a couple of F-minuses...(not mentioning any names here).
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

On the Rookie List
    I thought Collingwood was just average tonight (which shows how bad we were).
    I disagree. I thought Collingwood were excellent tonight, particulary with their tackling and precision passing. On the flipside, the Swan's disposal by foot was generally poor - too many kicks going over the heads of players, too many kicks to the advantage of the opposition. Collingwood were much cleaner around the stoppages as well.

Regular in the Side
    I often wonder why Davis doesn't get much of the ball - I got to see tonight. Many many times they ignore him and kick it over his head to Hall. A classic one was Kirk or O'Keefe trying to kick the ball over Wakelin's head to Hall running back, while Davis had beaten his man and was on a good lead 40m out on a 45 deg angle. We look to Hall far too much and now he is struggling it is a big problem - we kick far too few goals.
    Another one was when Jude was completely on his own front-on to the goal posts and they kicked it to Hall who had two defenders on him.
    Last edited by Margie; 26th August 2007 at 12:06 AM.

I think Collingwood did enough tonight- they had two excellent parts to their game in their defensive pressure and their tackling was good. Other then that I thought they did enough but didnt really impress me. They certainly plenty of times were helped by getting some dodgy calls go their way (And You cant tell me the umpires dont get influenced by the crowd because its bleedingly obvious that at times they d!). But generally they were a cut above us- but that is not saying much as a lot of our game tonight was very very poor.They do have some decent young players coming through who could go on to be very good but lol I just dont rate Thomas. He could very well prove me wrong but I think he is overrated and wont be half the player that the commentators think he will be.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Another one was when Jude was completely on his own front-on to the goal
    posts and they kicked it to Hall who had two defenders on him.
    Another was when Adam Goodes was lining up from the left boundary on an awkward angle and Davis drifted clear of his man a few metres further in and a very gettable distance. AG kicked a behind when a quick stab pass to Davis went begging.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast