Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trading & Recruiting

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Goodes is an exception to the rule.

As are /were Pickett, Rioli, Headland, O'Loughlin, Franklin etc etc

Selecting a player on anything other than his individual characteristic is irrelevant.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As are /were Pickett, Rioli, Headland, O'Loughlin, Franklin etc etc

Selecting a player on anything other than his individual characteristic is irrelevant.

If you are talking Maurice Rioli then he is the only one of those named that have any proven on ball endurance like Goodes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Maurice was before my time. I was referring to Dean.

And I guess my comments were more addressed at your observation on build.

Andrew McLeod is another who has shown the endurance to play on-ball, though he's moved down back in recent years and probably never quite hit the endurance levels of Goodes. But Goodes is an endurance / pace freak, relative to his size, in comparison to ALL AFL players, not just those of aboriginal descent.

Franklin will probably never play as an onballer but I suspect he has the natural athleticism to develop similar levels of endurance to Goodes in time, if he has the same work ethic (still to be seen).

Shaun Burgoyne is another tallish player with the speed and a strong build, though I suspect his endurance is a long long way short of Goodes'. If he ever decided to (and was able to) get that fit he probably would start to rival Judd as the most potent midfielder in the comp.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Shaun Burgoyne is another tallish player with the speed and a strong build, though I suspect his endurance is a long long way short of Goodes'. If he ever decided to (and was able to) get that fit he probably would start to rival Judd as the most potent midfielder in the comp.
    I think the most potent midfielder in the comp is another indigenous player - Kerr.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think the most potent midfielder in the comp is another indigenous player - Kerr.

Eagles fans will tell you he is not of (Australian) indigenous extraction. I gather his racial background is part Indian or Sri Lankan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    No way, Freo and the Bummers have been stacked with them over recent years and look where they are. Choose the indigenous players with care, dont overload with them. Quick but not strong bodied most of them.
    I thought the main comment against indigenous players is that they're frequently not defensively minded.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I thought the main comment against indigenous players is that they're frequently not defensively minded.
    But they have silky skills though!

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    But they have silky skills though!
    Naturally!!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the veteran's list
    As Liz said, you recruit on individual capabilities. You can't generalise according to racial background.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Sounds like a quote from Captain Cook or Arthur Phillip
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    According to the HS, we're looking at Cameroon Wood. While Brisbane have a surplus of ruckmen (Jamie Charman, Matthew Leuenberger, Beau McDonald, Mitch Clark), he wouldn't come cheap and would cost us at least our 1st round pick.

In the same article, they said that Jolly looking to return to Melbourne. Maybe a three-way trade could take place?

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/foo...E19773,00.html

Eagles fans will tell you he is not of (Australian) indigenous extraction. I gather his racial background is part Indian or Sri Lankan.
    Either way, he has a touch of the tarbrush.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast