Thread: Is LRT our missing link?

Is LRT our missing link?

This comment from Malcolm Blight regarding Geelong's Matthew Egan is interesting. Does the same apply to LRT? Did his presence make the difference last Sunday?

"I hate putting it on one player, but their defence now is complete. We have always thought their forward line has been good and we have always known that Ablett and Bartel and Corey and those blokes can play. But there is a kid called Matthew Egan who is the extra tall who frees up Harley and Scarlett to do their thing.

"In defence of the Geelong defenders that I coached, we could never find that extra tall. He is almost the missing link. Fancy finding a late draft pick who is 6'4" (193cm) and can play centre half-back? All of a sudden you have this balance in the back so you can afford to be attacking."
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012432,00.html

That's very similar to LRT's role with Sydney. I don't think he's ever going to be the cornerstone of our defence, but in his own goofy, lanky way, he provides that extra option, to free up Dempster, Kennelly, Barry etc. and that's very important.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    That's very similar to LRT's role with Sydney. I don't think he's ever going to be the cornerstone of our defence, but in his own goofy, lanky way, he provides that extra option, to free up Dempster, Kennelly, Barry etc. and that's very important.
    Exactly the point Blight was making about Egan. He's not a star himself but he provides the balance that allows the others to create the attack.

You could almost just substitute names etc and Blight could have been writing about Sydney and LRT.

Quote Originally Posted by j s View Post
    Exactly the point Blight was making about Egan. He's not a star himself but he provides the balance that allows the others to create the attack.

You could almost just substitute names etc and Blight could have been writing about Sydney and LRT.
    Totally agree. He is not the best player but makes the back structure function well.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Lrt is the missing link - without a doubt . . . .
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Lrt is the missing link - without a doubt . . . .
    I wondered how long before someone made that observation.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd question Blight's comment that "we've always known the forward line has been good".

I thought one of the criticisms of the Cats was that their forward line was pretty ordinary, especially as far as tall options are concerned. That's why the father son gifts of Hawkins and Ablett got them all excited, why they traded aggressively for Ottens, why Bomber came out early last season and proclaimed that Kent Kingsley was on the brink of establishing himself as a quality key position forward, why players like Playfair and Gardiner got so many games...

Of course it's not been Hawkins whose made a difference this year and even Ablett's only been handy. Probably the emergence of Blake as a quality ruckman plus Ottens remaining injury free has been key, as it's enabled Mooney to concentrate on being a key forward rather than having to ruck. And their small forward options have been classy for a while but have really stepped up a notch this year to take advantage of their midfield dominance.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    It's a team game, so the structure is crucial. Even Gary Ablett senior couldn't get a premiership by himself. And down the other end of the field I recall people saying on this board that the loss of O'Brien cost us a premiership in '96 for the same reason. Our defence is more than the sum of its parts but it's nice to have your first preferences for all the parts.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    You could substitute the name Kenelly into that article quite nicely as well.

But yes, have to agree. When we have our full complimet of 1st choice backs, we do look a whole lot more stronger. Not only in the back line, but across the midfiedl and in turn, the fwds.

Welcome back LRT & Kenelly this week....

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    Welcome back LRT & Kenelly this week....
    I doubt Kennelly will play against the Pies.

LRT on the other hand has fit himself back into the Swans' defence quite well and glimpses of our trademark run from the backline were well accompanied with LRT. I hope he can shut down either Rocca or Cloke and limit the Pies' influence in the forward line.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

He will certainly be all over Cloke like a missing link on saturday