Thread: Vale "Bloods" Club 2005 to 2007

Vale "Bloods" Club 2005 to 2007

Taking a slightly different point.

On the Couch tonight they said that over the last 3 to4 years, the Swans have played an additional half year more than the other teams by the fact that they have been in the finals.

Everyone including Roos have said that they looked tired and old and with the injuries to the older players this year, the year caught up with them.

I can't see how 4 more weeks rest this year is going to make the older tired players look any fresher or give them the motivation to climb the mountain again.

I'm sure Spida will have it (injury free year) because he's never won a premiership and that includes the younger Swans who missed out last time, but what about the rest.

The "Bloods" Club is finished. This year put an end to it. Probably only Goods, MOL, Kirky and possibly the Eski could say they still have the right to belong to the former group.

The Club needs a "Bloods transfusion". They need to get a winning spirit back.

How do they do this? I don't know.

I imagine a change of game plan is crucial. Their current game plan has to change to catch up with the changes in the game.

They need to recruit "spirit" to the Club. Pressure on players to keep their positions.

Rules for "Bloods MkII" need to be developed. Roos shouldn't wait till the end of next year to make changes, retirements via long term injury list should be done during the year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

A couple of points.

It's a fact we have played more football over the last 4 to 5 years than most teams because of a) finals and b) most of the team has remained on the park.

The extra three to four weeks will make a huge difference for the older players in that it allows guys like Hall and Kennelly to go under the knife earlier and thus be back to training earlier, giving them a decent run to the start of the year.

There is absolutelty nothing wrong with our game plan or spirit of the group.

What you saw on Saturday night was Collingwood applying exactly the type of game plan we use. The difference was their players were able to execute it better which in the end probably came down to younger bodies and freshness of their older players.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    The "Bloods" Club is finished. This year put an end to it. Probably only Goods, MOL, Kirky and possibly the Eski could say they still have the right to belong to the former group.
    And regardless of how down you are on the team, I don't think B2 can possibly be left out of that group, notwithstanding his worst game of the year on Saturday night.

Our defence hasn't been the problem this year. Indeed, it's been a rock given the lack of protection it's had from the midfield at times. They conceded more points than only the Geelong defence. And it has been at its most unsettled, with Kennelly and Barry missing for parts of the year, and former stalwarts LRT and Crouch almost completely missing. Bolton has been the one who has held it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    And regardless of how down you are on the team, I don't think B2 can possibly be left out of that group, notwithstanding his worst game of the year on Saturday night.

Our defence hasn't been the problem this year. Indeed, it's been a rock given the lack of protection it's had from the midfield at times. They conceded more points than only the Geelong defence. And it has been at its most unsettled, with Kennelly and Barry missing for parts of the year, and former stalwarts LRT and Crouch almost completely missing. Bolton has been the one who has held it all together.
    Would be bizarre if CBolt didn't get AA selection. He can and does beat almost anyone, and does it with a minimum of fuss.

And just to pick a fight with almost everyone, I don't think Malceski should. After a first half of the year where he was probably in the top 10 form players in the comp, after the turn he had too much responsibility in a team with no Leo, LRT and Kennelly, he lost a lot of his freedom to dash, he started to look hesitant, and some costly skill errors crept into his game. Malceski missing targets in the back 50 cost us on Saturday night, but the worst was that it wasn't unexpected. He doesn't need the pressure of '2007 AA player' hanging around his neck; he just needs to go out there in 2008 and start enjoying himself again.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    And just to pick a fight with almost everyone, I don't think Malceski should. After a first half of the year where he was probably in the top 10 form players in the comp, after the turn he had too much responsibility in a team with no Leo, LRT and Kennelly, he lost a lot of his freedom to dash, he started to look hesitant, and some costly skill errors crept into his game. Malceski missing targets in the back 50 cost us on Saturday night, but the worst was that it wasn't unexpected. He doesn't need the pressure of '2007 AA player' hanging around his neck; he just needs to go out there in 2008 and start enjoying himself again.
    I suspect you're picking a fight with fewer than you predict.

Even to make the top 40 squad is an amazing achievement for one so early in his career, games wise. Hopefully he'll continue to delight - and occasionally amaze - us over the next few years. But if his season as a whole warrants AA selection, the standard this year is pretty low.

That said, I did enjoy his goal late in the game on Saturday night. Even though the contest was over, it was a small highlight to brighten an otherwise dim night.

That said, I did enjoy his goal late in the game on Saturday night. Even though the contest was over, it was a small highlight to brighten an otherwise dim night.
    hehe when i was watching it, i thought of swantastic and wondered if his better half was in the same room to finish the job
    Roosy = LEGEND

Quote Originally Posted by punter257 View Post
    hehe when i was watching it, i thought of swantastic and wondered if his better half was in the same room to finish the job
    Nah we were at the game and by that time no matter what the Swans did wasn't going to make me happy.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well don't write us off because the Victorian journos do says Roos

Check out the classic photo of Ted Richards as Bjorn Borg via the gallery link.

Bolton has been the one who has held it all together.
    My mistake. I should have included him. He has had a great year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

What is the "bloods group"
    Is this a 'new' bloods group perhaps created around the 2005 GF time?
    People have been calling the Swans the bloods ever since they dropped the name and became the Swans.
    To me the bloods beat up in Sept 05 was to draw a 'home crowd' given that there were two interstate teams playing at the MCG. And it worked to an extent. Many people remembered that the Swans were once the Sth Melb Swans and befor ethat the Sth Melb Bloods.

I doubt the players really gave two @@@@s about that sort of history at the time, it was all about gaining more suport in the GF.

I'm surprised there hasn't ben a flood of posts such as "they will always be the bloods" etc etc
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Swan midfielder Brett Kirk stood on the Grand Final dais last year and proclaimed, "This is for the Bloods!" It was a nickname the Swan players adopted four years ago, harking back to the days of South Melbourne, when the team was known as The Bloods ... Coach Paul Roos brought in leadership consultant Ray McLean because of concerns about the future leadership of the club...

The ethos and ethic the players have adopted calls for hard, physical "Bloods footy" -uncompromising discipline, commitment to the team effort, and to play for each other and, sometimes literally, bleed for each other. They adopted the method which has become their trademark style of play: head over the football, creating contests, winning contests, one-on-one football, and suffocating the opposition. The blood-and-guts play was no more apparent than in last year's Grand Final when Kirk had to finish out the game in a protective helmet due to a hard knock he suffered, and Jude Bolton finished the game with his head swathed in bandages after receiving 12 stitches.
    Source

Which brings me to something I noticed on the weekend: The bandaged head which was seen almost every game at the end of 2005 was a lot rarer this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    What is the "bloods group"
    Is this a 'new' bloods group perhaps created around the 2005 GF time?
    People have been calling the Swans the bloods ever since they dropped the name and became the Swans.
    To me the bloods beat up in Sept 05 was to draw a 'home crowd' given that there were two interstate teams playing at the MCG. And it worked to an extent. Many people remembered that the Swans were once the Sth Melb Swans and befor ethat the Sth Melb Bloods.

I doubt the players really gave two @@@@s about that sort of history at the time, it was all about gaining more suport in the GF.

I'm surprised there hasn't ben a flood of posts such as "they will always be the bloods" etc etc
    Yep they will always be that to me and a lot of other people who grew up in the South days.I know it's hard for people from Sydney to think of them like that because they have only known them as the Sydney Swans.There is nothing wrong with that at all,but they have moved on and now they are the Sydney Swans which is alright too.It doesn't matter what you call them just as long as you support them and buy a membership.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits