Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barry Mitchell back to Swans

Barry Mitchell back to Swans

Barry Mitchell has had his contract terminated at Carlton as Ratten brings in his own coaches.

I think Barry Mitchell would be great fit for Swannies as he has a great reputation with coaching the youngsters at the Blues and is highly regarded.

As he was good for Swannies in his playing days, Roos could do himself a favour by adding Mitchell to his staff.

That would allow Longmire to look after forwards, Mitchell the midfield and Blakey the backs - where their respective strengths lie.

Also Mitchell a great addition to fitness team as well.

Go for it Roosy

He has coached the Northen Bullants to 2nd, then 7th then 9th over the past three years. Heading in the wrong direction.

We don't need Mitchell's cancerous presence at the club.

The guy backstabbed Pagan for the best part of 2 years and wouldn't speak to him despite working at the same club. An ordinary piece of work.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    We don't need Mitchell's cancerous presence at the club.

The guy backstabbed Pagan for the best part of 2 years and wouldn't speak to him despite working at the same club. An ordinary piece of work.
    I think thats a very one-sided view of the situation at Carlton.
    Mitchell was encouraged by people at the club to apply for the coaching position, with the belief that Pagan was on the way out...which in the slightly longer run proved to be correct.

The "not-talking" issue was very much two-sided. His office at Princes Park (or whatever its called this week) was moved to a completely different part of the ground from Pagans...and Pagan didnt talk to Mitchell. One of the first things Rattan did when he was appointed was to move Mitchell back into the fold

Obviously the situation became untenable at Carlton...it was amazing that he lasted there as long as he did after the "break-up". And if Carlton are going to go stand-alone next year in the VFL the Bullants Coaching position was no longer a 'Carlton' position. Both Mitchell and Carlton need a clean start

My thoughts on Mitchell was that he was one of the most professional footballers to ever play for us. Paul Kelly speaks highly of him as someone who took him under his wing and provided him with the support and additional training etc he needed when he was new at the club.

He should be considered for any position at Sydney IF there is one available and IF there is no-one MORE appropriate available. I do think we got things wrong this year when Longmire became the onballers coach, but somehow I dont see this being reversed.

Perhaps Mitchell as the Reserves Coach if we have a team in the VFL is a logical fit?
    Red and white till I die

Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGoodes View Post
    I think thats a very one-sided view of the situation at Carlton.
    Mitchell was encouraged by people at the club to apply for the coaching position, with the belief that Pagan was on the way out...which in the slightly longer run proved to be correct.

The "not-talking" issue was very much two-sided. His office at Princes Park (or whatever its called this week) was moved to a completely different part of the ground from Pagans...and Pagan didnt talk to Mitchell. One of the first things Rattan did when he was appointed was to move Mitchell back into the fold

Obviously the situation became untenable at Carlton...it was amazing that he lasted there as long as he did after the "break-up". And if Carlton are going to go stand-alone next year in the VFL the Bullants Coaching position was no longer a 'Carlton' position. Both Mitchell and Carlton need a clean start

My thoughts on Mitchell was that he was one of the most professional footballers to ever play for us. Paul Kelly speaks highly of him as someone who took him under his wing and provided him with the support and additional training etc he needed when he was new at the club.

He should be considered for any position at Sydney IF there is one available and IF there is no-one MORE appropriate available. I do think we got things wrong this year when Longmire became the onballers coach, but somehow I dont see this being reversed.

Perhaps Mitchell as the Reserves Coach if we have a team in the VFL is a logical fit?

Hear Hear, I agree and glad you brought up the issues which plagued him over the last 2 years.

As with the Carlton Reserves going backwards, there is only so much you can do with the cattle you have.

Think about the injuries and turnover Carlton had over the last 3 years, he did a good job with what he had.

I agree with him looking after our Reserves if (and I hope it happens) we have a stand alone team in the VFL next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Push The Limits View Post
    As with the Carlton Reserves going backwards, there is only so much you can do with the cattle you have.
    Yeah I guess it's been a struggle to get good young players with the terrible picks they've had in the draft for the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanecow View Post
    Yeah I guess it's been a struggle to get good young players with the terrible picks they've had in the draft for the past few seasons.
    They've gotten the pick of the bunch ... are they being developed properly though? Are they using them to lift themselves off the bottom of the ladder?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Ponders how long it will be before someone mentions Jason Saddington
    Red and white till I die

He will struggle bigtime to get past the no dckheads policy, unless he has matured greatly since his playing days.

Besides that, didn't he desert us at a time we cried out for experience to stay around at the end of '92? The ship was sinking and he scurried onto the first available life raft and left his teammates for dead.

I like Barry Mitchell and IMO he could be good for the club,but as BBB said he did jump ship so maybe the club dont want him back.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanecow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Haddad View Post
    They've gotten the pick of the bunch ... are they being developed properly though? Are they using them to lift themselves off the bottom of the ladder?
    Think you'll find thaey've had a few of the draft picks that they were eligible for removed after their salary cap breaches. Whilst they have been consistently at the bottom of the ladder for the last 5 years, they haven't been able to take the draft picks the would of ordinarily been eligible for. I think last year was their first year back into the PSD?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    He will struggle bigtime to get past the no dckheads policy, unless he has matured greatly since his playing days.

Besides that, didn't he desert us at a time we cried out for experience to stay around at the end of '92? The ship was sinking and he scurried onto the first available life raft and left his teammates for dead.
    Everything I've read about the Club from those days suggests you cannot blame players for 'jumping ship'. The club was having very little onfield success, had lousy facilities, very little money and was in danger of falling over. Players are professionals who, yes, should show some allegiance to their club, but do have to make as much out of a short playing career as possible.

I have never heard that he was a dhead when he played...he was the fittest player at the club and the hardest trainer
    Red and white till I die

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast