Thread: Numbers required for delisting

Regular in the Side

Numbers required for delisting

My calculation is that the Swans will need to delist at least 5 and probably 6 existing players on its current list.

The calculation is based on the following:

-There was an original 2007 List of 38 players

-Three rookies later joined that main list, namely Ed Barlow, Luke Brennan and Keiran Jack. That meant a List of 41 players

-Martin Mattner from Adelaide in joining the list means 42 players.

-The club must draft at least three player in the Draft. That means 45 players.

-The base maximum numbers for a List per club is 38 players.

-Michael O'Loughlan and Leo Barry are both eligible "veterans", adding to the base maximum List of 38 players.

-I am not sure if you are entitled to only one added "veteran" or more.

-If you are only allowed one veteran, the Swans will have to cut 6 players. If you are allowed two veteran, the Swans will have to cut 5 players.

And my tips for delisting, (in no particular order for the first five):

1. Jared Crouch. Too slow, too many injuries. He's speed was his greatest strength as witnessed by his Grand Final sprint victory in 2003.

2. Ben Matthew. Again too slow. He was never a superstar. At 29 it's time to go.

3. Peter Faulks. Rumours of problems. Doesn't appear to have shined in the reserves.

4. Luke Brennan. Tried hard in defence late in the season, but simply no great future. He's not as good as say, David Spriggs who was delisted last year.

5. Stephen Doyle. Far too many injuries. There might be a need to draft a young ruckman in the Draft. But there is also Daniel Currie, and Sam Rowe and Earl Shaw who are still on the rookie list

6. Luke Vogels. He's my 6th choice. If he can stay, that should try him out as a tall defender.

It seems highly unlikely that Mathews or Crouch would be delisted at this stage. The most dignified way for these "favourites" would've been an "unexpected" retirement announcement at the Club Champion Dinner. Also Luke Brennan might've just done enough to convince them that he is worth pursuing for at least one more year. Peter Faulks, from the rumours might be one shown the door and Doyle and Vogels seem the other likely pair.

Others that haven't been mentioned such Matthew Davis should be the first on this list. From most of the reserve reports, he is hardly on the "best" list and this "smokey" might be passed his used-by date. Also players like Earl Shaw, Sam Rowe, Jon Simpkin, Simon Phillips, Nicholas Smith or Matt O'Dwyer might be shown the door. The club might seem it appropriate to redraft one of these players in a supposedly weaker draft.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun.. View Post
    Others that haven't been mentioned such Matthew Davis should be the first on this list. From most of the reserve reports, he is hardly on the "best" list and this "smokey" might be passed his used-by date. Also players like Earl Shaw, Sam Rowe, Jon Simpkin, Simon Phillips, Nicholas Smith or Matt O'Dwyer might be shown the door. The club might seem it appropriate to redraft one of these players in a supposedly weaker draft.

Some of those players (Shaw, Davis, Rowe, Smith and O'Dwyer) are rookie listed and won't count towards the senior cull quota - if indeed they do get cut (likely for some but hopefully a couple will survive).

On the Rookie List
    Brennan is a rookie - he does not count as a de-list.

Try Grundy, Phillips or Simpkin

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    My calculation is that the Swans will need to delist at least 5 and probably 6 existing players on its current list.

Good effort Top 40.

This subject was covered in a previous thread.

You're right, about 7 will go.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    -Michael O'Loughlan and Leo Barry are both eligible "veterans", adding to the base maximum List of 38 players.

-I am not sure if you are entitled to only one added "veteran" or more.
    Excellent point, actually. Sydney (somewhat strangely) listed MOL and Leo as 'inside veterans' at the end of 2006, meaning they still counted towards the 38-man senior squad. Move them both to become 'outside veterans' (any club can have two), and we effectively have 40 senior players, at the expense of having fewer rookies (but if we take our full complement of local rookies, we'll still have 7, which isn't too shabby). It'll, as Mark Latham would have said, ease the squeeze. The problem is working it all into the salary cap.

Oh, and you've counted Luke Brennan both as a promotion and a delisting! Rookie promotions are only temporary while a senior player is on the long-term injury list; they carry no presumption of permanency at the end of the year. If as I suspect Sydney just promote one of Jack and Brennan (Jack, please) and the 'outside veterans' plan is a goer, then we could maybe get away with trading/delisting 4 blokes. Which is a lot more manageable.

But is they lose J Bolton and Schneider and Buchanan then there are 3 less players to delist

Is that correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    But is they lose J Bolton and Schneider and Buchanan then there are 3 less players to delist

Is that correct ?
    Only if they are traded for draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post

Is that correct ?
    Yes and No.

You have to draft a minimum of three however list management determines how many go or stay. Usually there is a 6 to 7 turnover each year.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.