Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans announce $1.5 million net profit

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs up Swans announce $1.5 million net profit

Swans announce $1.5 million net profit - Breaking News - Sport - Breaking News

And to think that in 1991 the then-VFL directors only voted to keep the club alive because Collingwood president Allan McAllister got wind of a plan for Carlton to play away games at the SCG. Shocked

If only Sydney Fc had the administrational professionalism the Swans have these days, thanks to Myles Baron-Hay. Seriously the job the Red Baron has done in turning this club around so quickly is nigh on a miracle. As far as I'm concerning Myles Baron-Hay is THE architect of our 2005 Premiership. The level of professionalism both on & off the field since he got hold of things has risen 1000%. Problem areas that nobody ever really dealt with before (official clubhouse, club member voting rights, club constitution, admin with slack attitudes, admin who didn't understand footy culture) were dealt with quickly intelligently & with a great deal of attention to detail.

The proof in the pudding from my perspective is that I have not been on here criticising the hell out of the club staff on here as I used to do all the time.The club now is a far far far cry from the one we had when Myles Baron Hay started. We were a rudderless @@@@ under Kelvin Templeton, with things getting even worse under Colin Seery, who nice guy that he was, was not suited to the position given to him. I hear the club finances were NOT in a good state during this period, which led to the AFL sending people up to get things in order.

Naturally as the sporting market in Sydney changes, demands on the club change. But to think the club that was sold to the VFL for $1 would get 3 crowds over over 60000 & make the profit it has in the market it has is testament to the people in charge.

Ok, I bitch about the atmosphere being not a patch on the old days. But that is my slanted view point. The fact that in a city as fickle as Sydney can embrace the club in the way it has (without anyone feeling alienated from the club or code) is again proof as to how the club understands the Sydney marketplace & has a strategy than not only has been thought out but works.

To all involved not only a heartfelt well done, but thank you!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Does nobody consider this news not worth discussing or something?

It just goes to show that we have the RIGHT people running our club.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"

Blog Entries
    Well it is great to know that the off field part of the club had great success last year, but most people care about the on field success.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Well it is great to know that the off field part of the club had great success last year, but most people care about the on field success.
    I think it's pretty clear that if you don't get the off field stuff right you are never going to win a premiership.

So yes, it is very important that the club continues to grow it's revenue base and develop revenue streams outside of football (ie the Sydney Football Trust) that will allow us to consistently make finals and then be in a position to take advantage of that by pumping as much money and expertise into the football department as possible.

Gone are the days when you could sneak a finals series and win the thing. It's all about consistent finals football and being ready to take your chance when it presents itself ala 2005.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Bay22_SCG View Post

JF
    Profits are good JF. They are the mortar that holds the house together, and yes a good sizeable profit is a must these days for a club to survive. But lets not be like Collingwood fans who will continually point to how successful they are because of the yearly profits they make.

We are a footy club. To borrow a line from the Creed of the Port Adelaide Football club. "We exist to win premierships".

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that if you don't get the off field stuff right you are never going to win a premiership.

So yes, it is very important that the club continues to grow it's revenue base and develop revenue streams outside of football (ie the Sydney Football Trust) that will allow us to consistently make finals and then be in a position to take advantage of that by pumping as much money and expertise into the football department as possible.

Gone are the days when you could sneak a finals series and win the thing. It's all about consistent finals football and being ready to take your chance when it presents itself ala 2005.

DST
    Dont know about that DST,what about North of 999999996 its so hard to say and dont forget 99.

I'm not sure about that either DST the Lions were good during seasons 2001/2/3 but they turned it on in the finals when it really matterd.In 2004 they were ok but they nearly won the big one again, Port just had the better of them on the day thats all.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    1000% is a lot.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post

JF
    Profits are good JF. They are the mortar that holds the house together, and yes a good sizeable profit is a must these days for a club to survive. But lets not be like Collingwood fans who will continually point to how successful they are because of the yearly profits they make.

We are a footy club. To borrow a line from the Creed of the Port Adelaide Football club. "We exist to win premierships".
    I know what you are saying, but coming from where the club was only 3-4 seasons ago, you can see how we can at least concentrate fully on the footballing side of things when we know we everything else under control and lucrative for us.

Still with a dip possible over the next couple of seasons it will be interesting how corporate and spectator support holds up.

The thing I fear is that we will be scared of re-building too heavy for fear of having a couple of seasons in the duldrums when in the long term it may well prove beneficial for us to blood as many youngsters as possible & run with them. This is where the sport vs business model differs in its hoped-for outcome. We could lose sponsors after a bad season. But could lose them after 3-5 of not culling our dead wood & rebuilding properly.

JF

[QUOTE=JF_Bay22_SCG;353225]
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post

Still with a dip possible over the next couple of seasons it will be interesting how corporate and spectator support holds up.

JF
    I think Sydney are very mindful of this compared to Victorian Clubs.

When Plugger, Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell, Schwass, Luffy, Roos retired everyone said it would be the end of the Swans for years. Didn't happen.

Sydney needs a key ape like full forward to dominate the opposition and a few other celeb players and we're up there win or lose.

I would be happier if we could breed our own ape though. However the other alternative is strong running defence play like Kennelly and Barry and as long as they hit their targets in the forward 50, who cares who kicks the goals.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Suspended by the MRP
    Well done to the Swans.

If only they can anounce the guernsey numbers for season 2008 instead of announcing them one by one.

Good on them for making a profit ... it's what business is all about.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

[QUOTE=Bas;353283]

When Plugger, Kelly, Dunkley, Cresswell, Schwass, Luffy, Roos retired everyone said it would be the end of the Swans for years. Didn't happen.
    Luff being included in this group gave me a good laugh
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast