Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL to launch 2nd team in Sydney

Living in 2005
    Worries me a little bit, but I think as long as the AFL are happy to fund it for years, then let's go for it, get a 2nd team in and let it grow naturally.

The AFL will have to be ridiculously aggressive in Western Sydney for this to work but if the money is around to support them through the first 5-10 years, then start now.

Going to take some work, especially in the Parra to Penrith area they seem to be targeting. I would have thought the South West area would have been a better initial target. (Mind you probably was the area they initially wanted until the Canterbury Stadium deal fell through thanks to the salary cap scandal)

Great news....It's about time! The swans should consolidate on the excellent supporter base, they already have, closer to town. The 2 games a season of cross town rivalry will be always much anticipated. And hopefully more games at our true home ground....The SCG.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Go Swans Always
    I have four children and three of them - live in the west area.
    They said they would be pleased to have a team in their area.
    They would support two teams and would find it good to have a team based in their area - they can follow as well
    Love those Swans

I just really think it would be a bad move currently to be honest but we will see what happens I guess. Not that I dont believe there isnt the room for two teams in Sydney but if I was the AFL i'd be being aggressive in the market but I wouldnt just plonk a team into Western Sydney just yet.

First and foremost I think the AFL needs to see the reaction to a downturn in the Swans results. Now you never know, we might just keep chugging along and never go through a real bad patch for a long while yet, as we have been one of the most consistent teams in the league for being in/around teh finals since '96, but its only 15 short years ago that we couldnt win a game and there was barely a soul at many a game. And the cyclical nature of AFL means that its more then likely that a leanish period is not far away. Im not saying it will get to the desperate position of the early 90's, but it would hardly be a good time in 2012 (I think it was 2012 wasnt it) when the second team is suppose to be going to start if we were in a bad trot and not getting the good crowds we have especially the last few years. We do have a far more secure fan base then back then I think, but it could still get fairly tight if we were to have 2 or 3 years of significantly lean times on the field. And if the AFL were to plonk a 2nd team in they could very well end up having to plough a lot of money not just into the new team but the established team. You only have to look at how long it took us to become even close to financially viable. It was a lot more then the 5 to 10 years that some people have suggested that a new western sydney team would need major support.

But as many have said, its already becoming a very crowded market place and if the AFL is going to move its got to move now. If it was me running the show, Id be looking for a 16 team long term comp, with the 2 qld sides, 2 wa, 2 sa, 1 Sydney, 1 Tasmania/Melbourne in the Hawks and 8 in Melbourne. This would ultimately mean the demise of a melbourne club but its going to happen sooner or later anyway I think.
    I really think 18 teams is also unworkable- look at how much for those that follow the NRL putting in the Gold Coast has weakened the overall comp. As good as the storm were last year, I think it was one of the most mediocre competitions for a long time. Adding two extra teams to the AFL will stretch the talent pool further, and I dont think that is necessarily a good thing. And gee I would hate it if you only played each team once a season as well that would really suck and be too short a season. Id like to see it at about 25 rounds in that case, get rid of the Nab cup and then play everyone once and then 8 of the 17 other teams you play again. Would be far better then only playing 17 matches in the regular season + finals.

Thats the negative side, I do also agree that there is a positive side to the argument and that if the AFL is going to make a move then it has to happen now. Id love to see a successful 2nd club in Sydney, and I think it is fairly obvious that the move will have to happen sooner rather then later. But no matter when they make the move there are going to be winners and losers int he overall picture of the sporting teams in Sydney, and Id hate to see the AFL make a big mistake which would put both teams in perilious positions. I think there would be the support out there for a second team- and it doesnt necessarily have to come directly from the main supporter base in the western suburbs. There are plenty of people in Sydney who do like the swans for lots of reasons, and Im sure a lot of them would be more then prepared to support a 'true' sydney based team as such (Ie not a transplanted team from Melbourne).
    But whether there is the overall levels currently or within the next 10 years to provide not only the fan support required but also the corporate backing it is excpetionally hard to say. And that of course is without taking into consideration the on field sucess or lack of of the new club They might be fine for the first few years while the novelty value is, but as any rugby league club in Sydney can show (it might be poorly run the NRL, but I dont think this is a symptom of that) if you arent getting the results on the field, fans can be very fickle. And with a stretched market already in major sporting teams in Sydney, there is only so far the $$$ in the fans pockets can go. If the second team can get going on the field fairly quickly by recruiting some big names and forming a good squad, then they might just make it work. But Iif they take anywhere near the time it took for the Swans to even grab a toehold in the sydney sports market then well it might be a gamble that doesnt pay off.

Wonder what the 2nd team will be called.... Western Sydney Wombats anybody?

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I live near Penrith and have mixed feelings about a second team being introduced in as early as four years time. No matter what, I will always support the swans, and can't imagine supporting any other AFL team. When i first read about the proposal, i immediately thought it would be too soon. But if the AFL are prepared to give prolonged support, I can't see why they would wait until the right time ( at least 10 years IMO ). Surely they know they are going to have to spend ( alot of ) money to make money, and if they are still keen then best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thejones,s View Post
    would like to know how you figure most come from the silvertail part of sydney...how about showing me the numbers that back up your ridiculous assertions,,,
    If I had access to the Swans' membership database I would show you. Over the years it has been widely reported where the core support base is located, from the club itself down. No-one is saying Swans supporters don't exist elsewhere, but the fact remains the majority of our support comes from the east and north shore.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I don't believe why people still whinge about the second team in Sydney. As somebody has already pointed our here it is the AFL decision not the Sydney Swans. If AFL decides to go ahead (and I strongly believe they will) they will also promote it and make sure it's not a financial failure. They've learned from the Swans troubles how difficult it is to crack the Sydney market. There are a few basic reasons to expand in Sydney:
    1. Not only it's a big market, but also there's a big inroad made in western suburbs by competing codes, especially soccer.
    2. City like Sydney should have at least one AFL game every weekend not every fortnight and I believe they could do it with proper planning.
    3. Local rivalry, it can potentially generate lots of money.

It makes no sense for us here to pass any judgement before the whole thing has even started to take shape. If AFL thinks it's OK and they are prepare to finance it than I'm more than happy to go ta a live AFL match every week even when the Swans are not playing at home. Would I abandon the Swans? No. The second team needs to develop its own following otherwise the whole exercise of a second team would be pointless.

I'm looking forward to it, actually, and since I live in Homebush area it would be fantastic to go to Olympic park to watch AFL games there (if that's where are they going to be played).
    Last edited by Zlatorog; 17th February 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Suspended by the MRP
    When it does come in, I hope we smash the buggas. By 2012, hopefully we're still a good side and making the top 4 again.

What would the name of the new team be called?

From my friends & colleges, alot more people who leave in the east support the swans than people in the west.

probably a 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ratio

In the long term this will surely be good for the sport and it will be fun to have a local derby.

As a lifelong supporter of the underdog in any contest, it will trouble me however if the Swans come to be portrayed as the elites and the new team as the battlers - an AFL version of the silvertails (Manly) versus the fibros (Wests).

I fear this sort of marketing is inevitable and will hurt the Swans - and it will be a kick in the face to be branded the rich elitist team with the 'north and east' fan-base given the years of struggle in Sydney and the history of struggle as South Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by airpoe View Post
    Front page was written by Caro.

Masters only had his photo on the front, his actual article was only on page 10.

Yes ready for a new team.

It would get more western suburbs fans to attend more games.

Also I live in the east & would not go to homebush for regular games & hence would presume its the same for the westies.

How would it grab the swans sponsors?
    It would probably grab multinational sponsors from other codes.

So would QBE say ditch the swans for the other team, when the swans would presume have a bigger base & appeal?
    I live in the southwestern suburbs and travel to all Swans games (SCG and ANZ(Telstra) Stadium).

I don't think Sydney is ready for a second team now or in four years time. I would never support it. SWANS FOREVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by thejones,s View Post
    Just to review some points...

Most of our supporters come from silver side of sydney..what a complete load of garbage...myself and hundreds of others travel from the SOUTH WEST
    for every home game..so before you shoot your mouth off get the facts,,

travel on a south bound trains after matches,,,
    HERE HERE!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast