Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quade retires from Sydney Swans board

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    Yep, congrats on shagging the wives of half the Swans players back in the day.

No great loss IMO.
    Come on Blood, surely this is the legendary leadership qualities that our Richard talked about.

Wayne Carey and a high profile coach reading the "Annals of VFL Football" clearly picked up on the quality of this leadership aspect.

On another point: we have discussed on here the merits of browny points for 2005 premiership players, well our Ricky clearly amassed maximum browny points for his role in "leading" the Swans to Sydney - 24 years of them, whew, breathtaking stuff. Not as good as his mate Graeme John though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What was wrong with that comment.

I am no great fan of Quade either. Obviously Richard Colless was not around when he coached. He had no idea. He was a battler of a player in my opinion, hardly that of a legend. Leader, hardly - refer to the previous posters comment.
    Nico, I normally don't question your knowledge of footy as you seem to know a bit, but if you are saying he was a "battler" of a player, well, that gets me upset.

If you are from Melbourne you would know that he was the first player to ever get 10/10 in the Sun Score.

In fact I think he was the only player to get it.

Please adjust your opinion accordingly.
    Last edited by Foreign Legion; 1st March 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Nico, I normally don't question your knowledge of footy as you seem to know a bit, but if you are saying he was a "battler" of a player, well, that gets me upset.

If you are from Melbourne you would know that he was the first player to ever get 10/10 in the Sun Score.

In fact I think he was the only player to get it.

Please adjust your opinion accordingly.
    Foreign, I can't change my opinion. He was slow and couldn't kick. Sure you could say he was strong courageous but that doesn't make him necessarily a good player. I'm not saying injury didn't contribute to my opinion, but he was no match winner. The 10/10 always gets brought up as if it is his only claim to fame.

I reckon I was at the 10/10 game and if I recall correctly he stood on the bowling green side of the Lake Oval with a howling gale going that side and the ball just kept coming to him. To think he was the only player to get 10/10 when there were so many outstanding players at the time, can only bring me to accept that it was a fluke, but yes he played a top game that day. A strategy that worked perhaps, fine player, hardly.

I respect your opinion and indeed we lovers of this great sport very often see things through different eyes as they say.

It is really interesting as opinions were very divided as to the merits of Ricky Quade in the outer at the Lake Oval. I can tell you though, it was unanimous that he was a pretty ordinary coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Foreign, I can't change my opinion. He was slow and couldn't kick. Sure you could say he was strong courageous but that doesn't make him necessarily a good player. I'm not saying injury didn't contribute to my opinion, but he was no match winner. The 10/10 always gets brought up as if it is his only claim to fame.

I reckon I was at the 10/10 game and if I recall correctly he stood on the bowling green side of the Lake Oval with a howling gale going that side and the ball just kept coming to him. To think he was the only player to get 10/10 when there were so many outstanding players at the time, can only bring me to accept that it was a fluke, but yes he played a top game that day. A strategy that worked perhaps, fine player, hardly.

I respect your opinion and indeed we lovers of this great sport very often see things through different eyes as they say.

It is really interesting as opinions were very divided as to the merits of Ricky Quade in the outer at the Lake Oval. I can tell you though, it was unanimous that he was a pretty ordinary coach.
    Your spot on Nico. Ricky was a very ordinary coach and he was just a battler ,no star a good ordinary player as Jack Dyer would say in what was pretty much as batting side at the time.
    Getting 10/10 in the Sun Score means Jack , Robert Klomp won a TV & didnt get a kick for Carlton in a Night game once.
    Though he was instrumental in Sydney becoming what it is today.We wouldnt have a club if it wasnt for blokes like him so his efforts warrant the accolades that people are giving him.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
    Your spot on Nico. Ricky was a very ordinary coach and he was just a battler ,no star a good ordinary player as Jack Dyer would say in what was pretty much as batting side at the time.
    Getting 10/10 in the Sun Score means Jack , Robert Klomp won a TV & didnt get a kick for Carlton in a Night game once.
    Though he was instrumental in Sydney becoming what it is today.We wouldnt have a club if it wasnt for blokes like him so his efforts warrant the accolades that people are giving him.
    Good ordinary battlers don't win club best & fairests. Good ordinary battlers don't captain their clubs.......

He was a very good footballer.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chow-Chicker View Post
    Good ordinary battlers don't win club best & fairests. Good ordinary battlers don't captain their clubs.......

He was a very good footballer.
    Richie Vandenberg springs to mind as does Tony Shaw as Captains. Davd Teague ( Carlton ) Darren Gasper ( Tigers ) & Andrew Schauble ( Syd ) as B/F to name a couple.
    Shaubs was a battler that got every bit out of himself.
    There has been numerous more as well.
    Rick as I said in my opinion was just a battler who got everything out of himself , which is why he ended up as captain.
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Veterans List
    Rick as I said in my opinion was just a battler who got everything out of himself , which is why he ended up as captain.
    Kirk?

Richie Vandenberg springs to mind as does Tony Shaw as Captains. Davd Teague ( Carlton ) Darren Gasper ( Tigers ) & Andrew Schauble ( Syd ) as B/F to name a couple.
    Shaubs was a battler that got every bit out of himself.
    There has been numerous more as well.
    You forgot the battler that won aBrownlow...Robert Dipierdomenico, the big Dipper.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12