Thread: 2008, Sydney v Brisbane Practice Match

2008, Sydney v Brisbane Practice Match

Moore Please.

I always look forward to a Canberra road trip. Over the years I have come to enjoy Manuka, possibly the only remaining venue that still has decent food and serves canned beer. The trip itself, not so good ? Mr Iemma?s constabulary were out in force today, keen for treasury donations from unwitting RWOers. One patriotic soul from our number was even good enough to oblige, the poor guy could have probably flown down and stayed in a five star hotel for what his day trip cost. 158kph ? that is expensive!

But the footy - I was keen to see how the Swans performed today, as the composition of the team indicated that the coaching staff were for once going to treat this game as critical in deciding who fills the last few starting possies in two weeks time.

The first surprise was to discover that three Swans missed the trip ? No Hall, no Ablett no Teddy Richards. For a horrible minute I thought no Tadhg as well, but I was fooled by his #2 crew cut ? I suspect we have another chrome dome on the way. Brabazon and Matty O?Dwyer made the trip, but frankly they wasted their time ? they went home with bad cases of posterior splintering, as did Jessie White. All had minimal game time. So while Brisbane played with an army on the bench, the Swans effectively, and it would seem deliberately made do with four and a half. .

A portent to Roos thinking ? Ben Mathews starts on the bench!! Is his position on the line? A fairly even first quarter ? Micky O?Loughlin was moving very well, presenting and accepting plenty of marks. The less said about his kicking the better ? woeful. The only good thing about Mick?s kicking was the one that fell short and allowed Dr Jolly to take a beauty in the goalsquare. Goodes was getting plenty, but wasting plenty too. The industry of the midfielders got the Swan?s nose in front, and early on Jack was the pick. It seems that he has done a lot of work on his fitness, because he continually bobbed up all over the field, and capped his quarter off with a booming bomb on the run. Bird was looking industrious and like he fitted in, but not dominating. Roos played him out of position - an in and under midfielder on the wing, what was he thinking there?? The Swans should have been far more in front that seven points at quarter time, the industry of the midfielders was largely spoilt by poor disposal by hand and foot.

As the game progressed, the Lions employed an uber flood whenever possible, Kennelly appeared to be easing his way back into things, and the kindest thing to say about Mattner is that he had a bad day. When the Swan did run and carry, it was Jack, Goodes, Bolton, Bird and Barlow who appeared to be the main instigators. Pebbles O?Keefe ventured midfield and did some nice things too. But the net result was that Brisbane worked their way back into the game, with a lot of their scores coming from Swan errors and free kicks. The third quarter was pretty ugly to be honest.

For the first half of the last quarter, thing started to open up again, the teams went goal for goal. Brisbane were getting more chances, but wasting them. It all changed when Brisbane won two consecutive centre bounces, they got goals from both of them and it was game over. Our crumbers at that time ? the old brigade of Kirk, Bolton and Buchanan ? and made to look old too!

The Swans best players in no particular order were Goodes, Barlow, Jack and Moore.
    Goodsey got and wasted plenty, but checking the match notes confirmed that he was influential in many of Sydneys more effective thrusts. He had one purple patch at the start of the last quarter when it appeared he might win the game by himself.

Any RWOers worried about the lack of a small crumbing forward with Schneider gone, would have been thrilled with Moores performance today. He kicked 3-1, crumbed well, presented well and worked hard without the ball. On this performance I have marked him down for round 1.

Cracker Jack has terrific speed and endurance, two characteristics shared with Crouch in his prime. He looks like a natural replacement. If he has a problem it is over confidence ? has a tendency to try for the near impossible pinpoint kick at times, nor is he afraid to take a defender on. But at least he is always trying to be creative; I much prefer that to the miasma of indecision that plagues others in our team.

Barlow got a heap of midfield ball and for the most part disposed of it well. He did appear to run out of puff rather badly in the last quarter, and if so, this will limit his effectiveness in the season proper. Nevertheless, he has probably done enough to earn a start.

Mick O?Loughlan spoilt an otherwise good game with poor goalkicking.
    Jude Bolton was industrious and disposal not too bad for a change.
    Bird looked competent, he seemed to be forever extracting himself from packs because he was the unfortunate recipient of a poor handpass. Not as dominant as at Lonnie, but still a pass mark.
    Kirk was industrious as always but still rusty. His clearance skills under pressure were not what we have come to expect.
    Davis looked good with his usual limited opportunity. Two very nice goals.
    O?Keefe, not too bad. Looks to be running into form.
    Reg Grundy clunked several strong marks and looks fit and strong. He did not get much of the ball though, I?m trying to work out if it is because he doesn?t work hard enough to get free, mistimes his leads or is ignored. Still a work in progress, but a worthwhile one.
    Kennelly got through the game in one piece, gained in confidence as the game progressed, but certainly did not push himself.
    Jolly and LRT were largely beaten in the tap outs. On the plus side, LRT appears to have his mobility back and to have improved his decision making and disposal accuracy.
    Mcveigh and Buchanan simply did not do enough.
    Mathews was his usual Mr Invisible.
    Up back, Craig Bolton was our best defender, coped well with J Brown (who looks to be set for a big year) One very bad kicking clanger spoilt an other wise good day for him.
    Brennen took a couple of sensational marks, but was badly outmarked a couple of times as well.
    Leo was ordinary, as he often is at the start of the year ? penalised for ITB and caught with the ball too often. Amazingly, Leo had a spell at full forward in the third quarter.
    Mattner was simply awful. Somebody should tell this guy that there is no point flying for big species in the last line of defence if you have hands of stone. He did it three times and hurt himself crashing to ground after the last one.
    And Bevan; well as usual he cancelled out every good thing he did with dumb disposal and dumb free kicks. .
    Jessie White?s card seemed to have been marked ?Canberra? before this game. He did not start, nor did he get much game time or do much when he was on.

Sydney Swans 4.3 7.5 9.9 13.9 (87)
    Brisbane3.2 8.4 9.8 14.13 (97)

GOALS
    Sydney Swans: Moore 3, Davis O?Loughlan Jolly 2, Grundy, Jack, O?Keefe, J Bolton.
    Brisbane: Nine-point goals: Birchall, Morton, Moss. Goals: Crawford, Morton

BEST
    Sydney Swans: Goodes, Moore, Jack, Barlow.
    Brisbane: Charman, Brown, Proud, Power (according to HS)

INJURIES
    Sydney Swans: Nil.
    Brisbane: Nil.

Reports: Nil.

Umpires: N/A

Crowd: Mauaka Oval, Canberra

Game notes:

First clearance to Brisbane, forward to Stiller, but he missed the shot. First decent Swans play initiated by Goodes; eventually Cheese paases to Moore who kicked a nice goal.
    Then we saw an interchange of short kicks ? Bevan to Reg to Micky to McVeigh. Unfortunately he is still following those Launceston instructions and missed. Then Kirk and Monty combined to get it to Mick for a set shot; this fell short but the good Dr took a hanger in the goal square and converted the easy shot. First time Leo gets the ball he tries his dancing with the stars routine and is duly caught HTB. Fortunately the shot missed. LRT and Davis set Mick up for another shot but he hit the post. From the kick in Brisbane took the ball smoothly downfield where Leo is pinged for ITB and 50 for dissent. Goal to Charman. Lions win the centre break; Jack was smashed in a contested ball situation on half back, unfairly pinged for HTB and Copelend goaled on the advantage play. Swnas win the next clearance, Jude sets Cracker free, good pass to Micky ? but another point. Next goal of the game (so far), the Swans midfield finally gets cohesive (started by Pebbles) and the hardworking Cracker kicks a 50m bomb on the run. Pebbles also involved in the next good Swans move ? he combines with Monty to set Reg up. Yep, he missed too. But the fullback tried to play on when restarting, hounded and eventually disposed by Moore, who goals. Great work. Soon after Bevan has all the time in the world, but blindly kicks to a one on two contest ? dumb!! Brisbane rebounds with precision and Copeland goals as a result.

? time Sydney 4-3-27 Brisbane 3-2-20

Wow ? we finally win a ruck contest ? Jolly, clean tap to Kirk for the break. Brisbane break away after Mathews sells Kirk a dump, luckily only one point. Then all the Swan defenders fly for a mark, Hooper crumbs the pack and snaps truly. Dumb!!!
    Finally Bird, Kirk and Barlow set Jude free and he delivers a nice pass to Mick; and he misses again. But soon after Moore beats the flood with a long cross pass to Nicky D, he makes no mistake with his long goal. Spoilt when ALL the Swans show an apparent lack of interest in chasing Corrie ? he gleefully strolls half the length of the field and goals. Soon after Cracker delivers a long handball to free up Goodes, he passes nicely to Pebbles for a goal. Mattner flies high but spills the chest mark ? Brisbane clean up with a goal. Brisbane replied with a terrific long goal from Brennan ? boy does he have talent! Then Charman gets a charity free and another goal. Mick?s play of the day ? terrific one on one tackle, ball spilt to the Dr, who outpaced his opposing ruckman and goals on the run.

? time Sydney 7-5-47 Brisbane 8-4-52

Brisbane get another mystery free kick, but only one point. Then Bolton and White beat the flood, setting up Mcveigh ? he misses too. Goodes marks and initiates a quick break, which ends with Nicky D goaling on the run, Cracker bites off too much, his attempted precision pass into a crowded midfield misses the target by inches, but Brisbane break away. Bevan arrives too late to stop things, gives away 50 and a goal. Then Goodes and Bird send the ball forward, where we get a mystery free -Moore away on the advantage for a nice running goal. A Bad handball from Brennan causes turnover, fortunately Brown does not make the Swans pay. Bevan bullocks his way through a tackle, on to Jude who passes to Moore. He misses. Pretty poor quarter of footy

? time Sydney 9-9-63 Brisbane 9-8 62

Swans scramble ball forward, scrubby kick from Cracker, but Moore wins the contested ball and gifts Mick a goal. (he couldn?t miss from 5 yards) Brisbane win the centre clearance ? Hooper outmarks Bevan who gives away another 50 ? goal. Goodes then sets up O?Keefe and Mick, then on to Reg. He goals courtesy of another 50. These umps are going mad! Half of these fifties have been incurred in the contest and I don?t think were there. Goodes brilliant at this time. Swans defender crashes the pack, but Leuenberger showed better judgement than all, marks and goals ? looks a prospect this kid.. Kirk wins the centre clearance, on to Goodes, then to Reg. He sets Mick up for an easy one. Then another promising move wrecked because Jude delivered a hospital handball. Moore breaks up promising Brisbane forward move with intelligent crumbing and then a goods pass. Mattner flies for another specie, but misses, then crashes. To add injury to insult Brisbane get a free and goal, plus Mattner departs with what looked like a sore shoulder. Game lost in the next few minutes. Brisbane get clean take aways from the next two centre bounces, one to Corrie when he roved the pack, the next after Bevan and Brennan were successively outpointed in one on one marking contests. Who were our centre break men at that time? Kirk, Bolton and Buchanon. Then Cheese gets caught with the ball- not looking good. Some hope when Davis and Kirk set Jude up for a long goal, but snuffed when Mathews, kicks into the man on the mark and time runs out.

Final Sydney 13-9-87 Brisbane 14-13-97.
    Last edited by ScottH; 9th March 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Formatted scores, etc
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Great report ORB. I always like the way you set the scene with a brief discussion about the type of food and beer available. It really sets the mood of the writer.

As a former Royboy myself, I have extremely fond memories of standing on the outer wing at the Junction Oval and steadily drinking through VB, MB, CD, Diet Ale and finally Fosters (as a last resort) as the Fitzroy fans would proceed to drink the bar dry to try and take the edge off another cracking defeat (though the drinking rate never change too much when we managed to strike it for a win). Similar stories abound from our nomadic days at Victoria Park, Princess Park and the Western Oval.

Great report. Better quality than in the mainstream media.Almost like standing in the outer talking with a mate. Thanks

Fabulous report.....Going by your appraisals Royboy, the 'fab trio' are struggling....suprise, suprise
    I Know I'm dreaming, but could we see:
    Out - Matthews.. In - Jack
    Out - McVeigh.. In - Moore
    Out - Bevan.. In - Bird
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks ORB - great work as usual.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Great to read about Moore being in great touch. The only player mentioned in the HS was Jack.
    Their best(HS) were Goodes, Jack, Barlow, and MOL. (The Age had the same)

Looks like both players can look forward to some senior gigs this year.

As always, an excellent report by ORB, thanks mate.

Please, we are still looking for contributors for the season reports. Let us know if you are keen or interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Their best(HS) were Goodes, Jack, Barlow, and MOL. (The Age had the same)

I can only assume their reporters spent the game in the bar. Moore was outstanding.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    I can only assume their reporters spent the game in the bar. Moore was outstanding.
    Most of them probably wouldn't have a clue who Moore is. Barlow and Jack both have had a bit of publicity and both stand-out on the ground - Barlow due to the hair and Jack because he runs twice as quickly as anyone else in red and white.

I reckon any reporters who were glad when the Swans traded Schneider so they'd stop getting him confused with Buchanan (even though the two don't really look similar) are going to start grimacing if they see Monty, Moore and Bird all running around in the same team. Same hair colour, same backsides, same chunky running style and also quite similar kicking styles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    Or maybe they weren't there at all.

Top report ORB.

Best thing about Canberra on Saturday ... the sun was hot and the beers were cold.

(Yes, I had one unleaded.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Nicely done, just the right amount of detail for me. Any more and I would have started to skim.
    I will more than likely be going to the Gabba match, rnd 3, so I hope the boys learn from their mistakes.
    Thanks again ORB.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017