Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A post for any stupid AFL people who read this forum....

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    You're not a member anymore and you couldn't be arsed going to watch the games when they are in Melbourne. Explain again how you keep THEM in profit?
    I have been a member for many years.
    I GO TO the games when I can.
    I love going to the football, but it isn't always possible when you are running a business and have a family.

My POINT is that the games played in Victoria should not be televised.
    The should NOT be televised because I can go and see them.
    If I can't then I miss out. That is what I am saying.

If I have exposure to mare than a handful of the games that AREN'T player in Victoria, then I will happily pay for a membership.
    Where the hell is the benefit for me when I moss MOST of the games unless I have Foxtel or venture to some pub?

Seriously, twist the words any way you want.
    Go one your "if you don't buy a membership then you don't care about the Swans as much as me" tangent as much as you like.
    It's unconvincing and aged.

Come live in Melbourne as a Swans fan for a while and see how YOU like it....
    Last edited by CureTheSane; 28th March 2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: checked to see where BBB lived and added the last line :)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I think you should get FOX.

I agree with you CTS about the lack of FTA games for the Sydney Swans.

I also don't go to many games as I have 2 kids under 2.

With 6 kids your best bet would be the local footy on weekends.

I take my kids to the local footy. Beer and food is cheaper and action on the ground is better than most AFL games in that there are not as many short backwards/sideways kicks and mostly long kicks to the forwards in one out marking contests. Also, you can sit where you bloody want and not have some pimply faced juvenile in a coat telling you where you can and can't go.

I can't complain in any case as I have Foxtel, but even if I didn't it would give me a good excuse to sneak off for a couple of hours to the local for a few frothies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cure the Sane
    ....but I really don't mind if I miss a game that is played in Melbourne.
    That statement would suggest, well, you don't really care if you miss a game that is played in Melbourne.

That's not twisting any words.

But if you don't really care if you go when they're playing in your own backyard, why be so indignant because you cannot sit in your loungeroom and watch them live on free to air when they play interstate?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Just saw your edit.

If I lived in Melbourne as a Swans fan I'd have have Foxtel connected before I worried about anything else.

No brainer.

Originally Posted by Cure the Sane
    ....but I really don't mind if I miss a game that is played in Melbourne.

That statement would suggest, well, you don't really care if you miss a game that is played in Melbourne.

That's not twisting any words.

But if you don't really care if you go when they're playing in your own backyard, why be so indignant because you cannot sit in your loungeroom and watch them live on free to air when they play interstate?
    You've misinterpreted what I MEAN'T

I don't mind if I miss out on seeing a live game, because it's MY FAULT.
    I chose (or had no choice) to miss it, and it was being played in my backyard, so there is only one person to inevitably blame for missing it - me!

Hence my post is about the games that are not played in Melbourne.
    The ones I cannot go and see.
    That's what pisses me off, because they aren't readily accessible top me like a live game being played in Melbourne is.

Just saw your edit.

If I lived in Melbourne as a Swans fan I'd have have Foxtel connected before I worried about anything else.

No brainer.
    I had Foxtel last year,and for a whole plethora of reasons I had it disconnected.
    They ranged from value for money, overall cost, but mostly due to the zombie like state that it turned my kids into.

and I understand that they are a big player in the TV rights, but what I am suggesting is that for people like me, who refuse Foxtel (for whatever reason) allow us to shun all forms of media for the 12 hours following the game and watch it in the middle of the night when ratings mean zip.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    That's what pisses me off, because they aren't readily accessible to me like a live game being played in Melbourne is.
    But they ARE readily accessible, which brings us back to the old chestnut of Foxtel.

You have stated many times before that you don't want Foxtel, from memory it had something to do with the kids, but I fail to see why your refusal to get Foxtel is the fault of the Swans or the AFL.

On the Rookie List
    Well guys I'm an AFL member (Sydney Swans) and was at the game on Saturday night.

CTS is right in saying that we in Melbourne were promised all kinds of things by the pro Sydney group and VFL (at the time) when we were contemplating/fighting the move to Sydney.

Unfortunately, many a sweet thing is said until they get you into bed!!!

It's quite perplexing though how the Swans free to air coverage, in proportion to Foxtel has diminished since Demetriou came into office. Are the AFL perhaps deliberately trying to dissuade Melbournians (indirectly through lack of coverage) from the Swans and to other Melbourne based clubs?

Anyway I know that I never get my full monies worth with an AFL membership and that getting foxtel as CTS has said would be almost as futile as my small kids would also ensure that I didn't have the chance to utilise the service.

So therein lies the problem; we are not a priority in Melbourne (supporters of the Swans). The media moguls currently pull the strings. What do you expect though when they inject hundreds of millions into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'll get out when I can.
    My wife is working on Sunday, and I really don't ant to be dragging 6 kids to a pub.

Stuff that.
    I can do without the 'support your club' rhetoric
    The club doesn't seem to be really giving two @@@@s about me.
    I've emailed them my concerns season after season and I get the same old generic replies.
    he Swans a couple of seasons ago were trying to build the base in Melbourne.
    I see it diminishing if there is not change.

I'll look after the Swans if they look after me and the rest of the Victorian supporters.
    That sounds like a fair deal.

I understand supporting your team financially even if you don't get to many games.
    But what people forget is that 'giving' money to your team is something people are happy to do IF they get something in return.
    I find it hard to throw away my money like that.

The more people that just give the Swans their money to feel good about themselves will culminate in one thing - missing out on more.

I refuse to give them my money until they start to at least seem interested in looking after my interests.

And one other thing, I'd feel really bad about contributing financially to SSI if I had.
    You'd think they would be out and about trying to do something for their 'kin'
    With all that pulling power they had to get Roos the job (lol)
    I'm taking the missus so she can look after my kids.

It serves your self right for having bloody 6 kids,you must be catholic or you dont have a TV

I wouldn't say that the club doesnt care about its Melbourne supporters,but it could do a lot more to help us out i agree with that.

When i got stooged over a 2005 premership gurnsey the media manager got the 3 sigs that wernt on it which i thought was very good of him.

So if some one asks you for help on the side of the road before you help them you say,whats in it for me?

Maybe your right on the diminishing supporter base in Melbourne,after all we struggle to get 10000 members in Melbourne.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    I'm taking the missus so she can look after my kids.

It serves your self right for having bloody 6 kids,you must be catholic or you dont have a TV

I wouldn't say that the club doesnt care about its Melbourne supporters,but it could do a lot more to help us out i agree with that.

When i got stooged over a 2005 premership gurnsey the media manager got the 3 sigs that wernt on it which i thought was very good of him.

So if some one asks you for help on the side of the road before you help them you say,whats in it for me?

Maybe your right on the diminishing supporter base in Melbourne,after all we struggle to get 10000 members in Melbourne.
    Funny you say that as I had a guernsey that required a few signatures and the lady I spoke to at the Swans basically said "sorry can't help you". That's when it hit me that I really am a small miniscule member (at the time Premiership memebership) that has no hope of truly feeling part of the "Swans family".

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by originalswan View Post
    Funny you say that as I had a guernsey that required a few signatures and the lady I spoke to at the Swans basically said "sorry can't help you". That's when it hit me that I really am a small miniscule member (at the time Premiership memebership) that has no hope of truly feeling part of the "Swans family".
    Look at it from the club's point of view, though. There are 25,000+ members. Imagine if they all wanted the club to co-ordinate getting a few signatures for them.

They do provide opportunities to get signatures. In Melbourne you have the family days, while if you're in Sydney and pop along to a training session any time, the players usually seem more than happy to sign a few things as they are leaving the ground. Alternatively you have access to them at aftermatch functions or one of the numerous shopping centre visits they do just before the start of each season.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast