Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A post for any stupid AFL people who read this forum....

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There was a comment on getting the club to organize a signed jumper made by Spida in an interview last year, he said that all clubs are loathe to do it as if they did every free signed jumper request they receive it would detract from the value of the ones that are auctioned off for charity.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    It serves your self right for having bloody 6 kids,you must be catholic or you dont have a TV
    Nope and nope.
    Blended marriage.

I wouldn't say that the club doesnt care about its Melbourne supporters,but it could do a lot more to help us out i agree with that.
    We are not a priority for either the Swans or the AFL
    So if some one asks you for help on the side of the road before you help them you say,whats in it for me?
    Of course not.
    Let me put it this way.

1. The Swans ask you to pay $100 per year but they tell you that you won't get to see any game at all.
    Do you pay it? I don't think so.

2. The Swans ask you to pay $100 per year and in return they give you 11 live games and every game televised into Sydney on FTA.
    You'd pay that.

Somewhere between 1. and 2. everyone here would have a point where they'd say "no"
    For me, I am at the point of saying "no"
    What is on offer for me over the 22 rounds does not inspire me to pay for a membership, nor will it peak my interest in the team for the full 22 rounds.

In a way I am a casual supporter.
    I'll go to the games when I can, and I'll watch them in TV when I can.
    If I go to a pub I'll remember the first half of teh game and see who won in the morning

Maybe your right on the diminishing supporter base in Melbourne,after all we struggle to get 10000 members in Melbourne.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I really didn't want to be the one to point this out, but the Swans moved to Sydney 26 years ago! There would have been a lot of tv deals negotiated and signed over that time, so what the VFL and club said in 1982 would have no relevance now.

The other factor of course is that the free to air networks in Melbourne will always give precedence to Melbourne clubs to maximise ratings. Sydney vs Port is not going to attract the sort of audience that one or even two Melbourne clubs would.

Finally, you are mostly right about members not being important anymore. The money available through TV should easily be able to keep 16 clubs afloat, and those with strong corporate support (e.g the big Melbourne clubs and the interstate clubs) are on easy street. The "price" to pay is some games on Foxtel but overall it means financially the game is much better off.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    I really didn't want to be the one to point this out, but the Swans moved to Sydney 26 years ago! There would have been a lot of tv deals negotiated and signed over that time, so what the VFL and club said in 1982 would have no relevance now.
    *covers ears* "not listening, not listening....."
    to quote the Bangles (I think) "time time time, look what's become of me.....

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    The other factor of course is that the free to air networks in Melbourne will always give precedence to Melbourne clubs to maximise ratings. Sydney vs Port is not going to attract the sort of audience that one or even two Melbourne clubs would.

Finally, you are mostly right about members not being important anymore. The money available through TV should easily be able to keep 16 clubs afloat, and those with strong corporate support (e.g the big Melbourne clubs and the interstate clubs) are on easy street. The "price" to pay is some games on Foxtel but overall it means financially the game is much better off.
    So what is your take on the potential for pirate games being shown on the internet?
    I think it's a massive concern.
    Only 10 minutes ago I saw a link for a download to some new 2008 Monopoly game download.
    Constantly I come across links for CD's, DVD's and the like.
    it won't be long before the feed from a tuner card will be transmitted over the net much like live concerts and feeds are currently.

Kind of like that Underbelly show being banned in Melbourne.
    Right now probably 90% of people who wanted to see it,haven't
    I'd say that if the same thing happens a few years from now, that percentage will be massively reduced.
    I should pose all these Swans related and pirate related questions to someone in the AFL and see what they have to say about them.
    Or better yet, send this thread to one of the stupid current affairs shows and let them do all the work.

Finally. Some sense.

Ring up Anna Coren. She'll back ya.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Haddad View Post
    Finally. Some sense.

Ring up Anna Coren. She'll back ya.
    Anyone but that bitch Mia Greeves
    I handed her an exclusive story, she woke me up at like 6am to film it, told me they'd pay me for the story (which I didn't ask for) and then when I chased it up a month later her producer denied everything (like he'd know what she said) and said he'd have her call me back - she didn't.

Like I GAF about a couple of hundred dollars to chase it up further.
    I'll just keep it in the back of my mind and when a bigger better story comes my way I'll pass it on to 7 or 9 or both

The fact is you can't please everyone all of the time.
    CTS you have serious constraints - financial, marriage, kids, etc - yet expect everything to be suited to you by a billion dollar business.
    The AFL is doing a good job generally but not everyone can be catered for in exactly the way each individual wants.
    Try and find some positives.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Blog Entries
    I can handle the fact that the swans aren't on every week. (Disappointing as it may be)
    What disappoints me most is the first point CTS made. Why are games, such as StK v Swans on FTA TV when it is in Melb?

They used to want the buns on seats, but I guess now they don't care as they have already got their $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from the TV rights.

The other thing that makes it tuff, for Melb fans is the fact that up until 2006, nearly all Swans Sunday games were on FTA. We were spoilt, now that has gone and most of the Saturday night games as well.

As I said earlier, it's not just the swans. Other teams playing outside of Vic are effected.

I also think that the AFL is doing a good job overall.
    I've never used the term "fat controller" etc and I think a lot of the crap given to the AFL is unjustified.

However, I reserve the right to air the grievances I have with the AFL.

I am NOT complaining about not being able to get to the games played in Melbourne.

My only issue is the lack of access that Victorians have to the Swans if they do not have Foxtel, and I think it is a very valid point.

I don't expect everything to be suited to me, and I am not asking for every game played out of Victoria to be shown on FTA.

Simply, it could be fairer for Victorians - it is not fair right now.

every other state has more access to their team than Victorians who supported South Melbourne.

Live in WA and support Eagles or Freo - you get to be at or see almost all of their games.
    Live in Sydney and support the Swans - same.

Easy to say that the Swans are a Sydney based team, but unfortunately all of us who supported South Melbourne didn't relocate to Sydney with the Swans.
    There is a supporter base down here that is not being catered for adequately.

On the Rookie List swansrock4eva's Avatar
    I agree with you big time CTS! I think the AFL has pulled a big dodgy on us. I hate that I can't even get to watch the boys play this weekend - I'm working Sunday afternoon so can't go out to the hotel, and being a student I can't afford Fox so simply don't get to see my boys play. Since I moved to Melbourne in late 2006 I have felt so disconnected from the Swans. I feel I've become a better football fan in general due to exposure to other clubs via FTA, but I hate that it's at the expense of my Swans.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Snip

Live in Sydney and support the Swans - same.
    We are indeed spoilt in Sydney. We get 22 live games on FTA every year - 26 if we go all the way.

It does suck CTS, seeings that the AFL did promise FTA coverage, they should now at least show the games that aren't being played in Melbourne.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I am in the same boat as CTS in that I can't afford Foxtel, so don't have access to those games.

The problem really got bad with this tv rights deal. Only 4 games (it has been 5 for as long as I can remember) on FTA each weekend in Melbourne meant that some teams coverage in Melb would be dimished. We are the main club to suffer this.

In previous years (before the current deal) we usually had about 16 games on FTA a season, I can cope with that. But now that is down to 6. All because 7 won't televise 2 games on a Sunday. What we need, in Melbourne is fir 9 to win the rights again and reinstate 5 games on FTA a weekend again, but now that more games are on pay tv, that seems unlikely.

As an aside, we will be visiting the in-laws in Northern NSW during June, just when no games are due to be played or shown in Melb.

Plus I offered my wife two trips to see he relo's in Canberra this year, as long as I get to go to the footy (and sit with Big Al and Annie).
    Last edited by goswannie14; 29th March 2008 at 09:44 AM.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast