Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A post for any stupid AFL people who read this forum....

I've had a few arguments with Foxtel about their packages for their service.

I have the premium Fox package($105pm) of which i am happy with and am glad to be able to afford.

One question for Fox was,why cant we choose which channels to lease?and pay per channel so that we can tailor a package to suit our selves.

Of the x number of channels i have i only watch about 7/8,my kids about 5 and the missues about 7/8.So out of al the channels we watch about 20 of them and the rest are a waste of money.

Hence my argument with them to pay per channel to make it affordable to others.Out of all their packages not 1 suited all my familys needs which pisses me off so there fore i had to get the premium package.

I agree CTS the AFL have to do some thing about it with channel 7/10 and Foxtel.
    Last edited by swantastic; 29th March 2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

By the end of the season, I will have all the games stored on my new 400gb DVD recorder.
    If you're really good, I may arrange to send you the odd game you particularly wanted to watch, but missed.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    In previous years (before the current deal) we usually had about 16 games on FTA a season, I can cope with that. But now that is down to 6. All because 7 won't televise 2 games on a Sunday.
    Regardless of who got the current deal, there would of only been the ONE game on FTA on a Sunday. Channel 9 and Foxtel are the ones who worked out this deal NOT 7 and 10. So blame Channel 9 for the lack of FTA matches and the lack of Swans games on FTA.

What we need, in Melbourne is fir 9 to win the rights again and reinstate 5 games on FTA a weekend again, but now that more games are on pay tv, that seems unlikely.
    Of course it is unlikely because 7 and 10 matched the bid the 9 and Foxtel made with the AFL and hence the current TV deal is only 7 and 10 following the contract 9 and Foxtel set out for them. But of course they don't get any of the blame and everyone hopes that 9 getting the FTA rights back would mean 5 FTA matches again. It won't because they are the ones who made the agreement with Foxtel in the first place to go down the path of a 4/4 split of games per week.

Plus in the move we were never promised FTA coverage of our home games forever. 5 non-Victorian teams have entered the competiton, we don't play on Fridays, there are now 16 clubs instead of 12, plus Pay TV has enter the game. You can't expect a promise from 1981 to still be valid in 2008 when the picture of TV, the game and the League HAS CHANGED across the board.

Plus ratings help the TV networks decide which games are shown on FTA in Victoria, NOT the AFL (they just set the fixture and dates and times). Ratings weren't as important in 1982 as they are now, hence the reason games played in Victoria are shown into Victoria when on Foxtel there is a game interstate with the Swans playing Port (or even Freo playing North). The FTA networks want to show games in Victoria that rate, not games that don't. They paid millions for the ratings in Victoria alone.

So hence we get few games on FTA in Victoria these days. Sad but true.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I am in the same boat as CTS in that I can't afford Foxtel, so don't have access to those games.

The problem really got bad with this tv rights deal. Only 4 games (it has been 5 for as long as I can remember) on FTA each weekend in Melbourne meant that some teams coverage in Melb would be dimished. We are the main club to suffer this.

In previous years (before the current deal) we usually had about 16 games on FTA a season, I can cope with that. But now that is down to 6. All because 7 won't televise 2 games on a Sunday. What we need, in Melbourne is fir 9 to win the rights again and reinstate 5 games on FTA a weekend again, but now that more games are on pay tv, that seems unlikely.
    Huh?

Channel 9 and Foxtel caused all this. Their agreement was a 4-4 split.

When 10/7 matched the deal, they wanted 5 games (2 for Ten and 3 for Seven), but Foxtel would only offer 17 million for it, hence one of the major reasons why the deal took so long to sign.

The only way 10/7 could get any money out of Foxtel was to basically agree to the same deal that Nine had made with them.

So anyway, it will forever be a 50-50 split between FTA and Subscription TV. I actually think it will get worse for people without Foxtel or Austar in the next round of rights, Nine and Foxtel are already working on a joint deal which I think will pretty much evenly divide blockbuster games.

Living in 2005
    FWIW I think the best bet to get the Swans on TV more often would be to lobby the AFL for more 2pm Sunday games. Those games are guaranteed Free To Air and there is no reason why we can't have 2pm games in Sydney all the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234