Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate the new & newish 1st grade Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Was Grundys goal on the run?
    Remember being impressed when he popped up for that one.

Loving seeing Jack going about it.
    Yep it was. It was great cos he took the initiative to go for goal - we were a bit stagnant during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Was Grundys goal on the run?
    Remember being impressed when he popped up for that one.
    He had just come off the bench, hence why he seemed to come from nowhere and was unmarked.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I'm glad Bird is in and like everyone else i have high hopes for him as a ball getting midfielder but in the first two games his disposal has been pretty awful. I didn't see anything of him last year so i don't know if this could be credited to nerves early on or something but i'm praying thats all it is! Lord knows the last thing we need is another midfielder who cant hit a teammate from 10 yards away! I hope Vespremi can get his fitness up to scratch cos from everything i've read on him he has brilliant skills and an actual footy brain! which is something a lot of our new guys haven't had in recent years! (excluding Malceski obviously)
    I think he is still finding his feet as his disposal in the Ressies and also at the U/18 national carnival was very good. He is a very quiet kid and his dad told me on the thursday night before his first game at training after he got off the phone to him that he said he was S######G himself. From watching especially last week he was very accountable for his man even when we had the ball and still picked up 14 possessions. I think once he feels more apart of it and gets more confidence everyone will see what the hype about him is from inside the club. If you look at his stats at the carnival he reguarly got high numbers and also is pretty handy at chimeing in with a few goals.
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Just on Grundy, I will be the first to admit that in the past (and very recent past, as well), I have written him off as a backup utility at best. A good Canberra player. But I was thinking, weren't some of the same criticisms, currently being levelled at Grundy, being levelled at O'Keefe about 5 or 6 years ago? Now, I don't remember much of that time, as I was twelve and only just beginning to follow the Swans with any sort of seriousness, but wasn't O'Keefe considered a promising player with an excellent mark and kick, but who was just too damn slow and couldn't find enough of the ball? Now look at him. Probably our second best player, after Kirk. He worked hard, and developed excellent stamina, which somewhat cancelled out his lack of speed. Is there any reason Reg couldn't do something similar? He also is too slow and doesn't find enough of the ball, but if he can work really hard on his stamina, and maybe work on his running technique a bit to try to squeeze out an extra yard of pace, perhaps he could cross that threshold that O'Keefe crossed in 2004, and become a vital cog in our structure across half forward. Thoughts?
    I think O'Keefe kicked 4 goals on debut.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I think O'Keefe kicked 4 goals on debut.
    Hmmm, I remember that match vaguely. Wasn't it against the Roos? But it wasn't on debut, was it? Wasn't it his fifth or sixth match or something?

Anyway, what was your point?
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Two cents....

Bird.... Bit off the pace but if he makes the step up from VFL to AFL, we could have a real gun on our hands here... Think Simon Black or Luke Power...

Jack.... Has reall come on this year. Those few games last year gave him the a taste and he wants more. Should be a permanent player from now on.

Mattner... Going OK but not sensational. But seriously, can't wait for the day that our back line includes Mattner, Kenelly, B2 and Malceski.....

Moore... Haven't seen enough to comment.

Grundy.... Same as above... But sounds like he's finally found his spot in the team. The talent's there, but is the determination?

After round 3.........
    Mattner : Forget Schneider (went missing when it mattered for the Saints,same old same old!), Mattner, with another lively performance, could well be the pick of the trades.
    Moore: Gets better by the round, lock him in Eddy, he's long term value.
    Jack : Did the job on Lappin plus some Flashes of brillance.
    Barlow : A little quieter tonight but also showed flashes of brillance.
    Bird : Did an excellent job on Johnson, got plenty of the ball, still a bit off the pace, but looking good.
    Grundy ; Still worried about his lack of pace and agility.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'll say only this: Go young guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Grundy ; Still worried about his lack of pace and agility.
    His kicking and vision is terrific, but yes that is worrying -sometimes isn't aware of how slow he is either :S
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

I like Grundy.IMO he will develop into a good,steady player for us.They must settle him at forward or back.He was alone and calling for the ball tonight and was just ignored.He needs to stamp is authority on the game.Also the established players are in the process of finding out the newer players strengths and weaknesses.

after round 4

Jack..deserves a rising star nomination..shut down Kerr and set up plenty of play. He really looks good.
    Bird..Getting better week by week.
    Barlow...again showed class and athleticism....will only improve with more games under his belt.
    Moore..Little quieter tonight but he again showed plenty of class.
    Brennan...attack on the footy and run was excellent, disposal lamentable, but I think he's worth another look.
    Mattner...another lively performance, that's 4 from 4..trade of the year so far. Schnieder who?
    All in all could not of hoped for more from them, so far..
    Last edited by ernie koala; 13th April 2008 at 12:18 AM.

Moore also played a defensive role last night against Nicoski and I thought he stuck to his guns pretty well as Nicoski had no impact.It seems Roosy is going to teach these newer players to play various roles.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast