Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate the new & newish 1st grade Bloods

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Jack did a good job on Stanton who hardly had a sniff, but what I notice about him is his passes drop metres short of his target because he doesn't seem to kick through the footy. He needs some oomph into his kicks to make his target.
    Eh? Sorry, I thought Stanton, to be honest, owned Jack. I'm a big fan of Jack, but he was often caught a metre or two off the pace today, especially in the first half. The second half saw an improvement, with the two players probably breaking even, but in the first half, Stanton dominated. Well, that's how it appeared at the ground.

Anyway, to be honest, I thought Bird was better than Moore today, although there wasn't much separating them. Bird was simply fantastic in the packs. This wasn't a lucky good game, where he got a lot of cheap possessions and found himself in a lot of space; this was the game of a bloke who, now that he is relaxed at the top level, knows his way around packs, never shirks physicality, and never lets himself out of the contest, always putting in second efforts. Some of his touches at the bottom of the packs were simply outstanding.

Having said that, Moore was fantastic too, especially his work across half-forward. He has been a major difference in our side this year. Last year, a lot of the time if the ball came loose in our forward 50, the opposition would pick it up and rebound; this year, we have Moore charging in with his head over the ball, and either picking it up and spotting up a teammate, or at least squeezing the ball out to a teammate's advantage.

I couldn't be happier with our kids at the moment. Jack hasn't had a bad game yet (only indifferent, like today, and good), Moore has been similar, and Bird has gotten better and better with each passing week. You can clearly see how each week his decision making gets better. It's actually uncanny. Barlow has shown flashes, and is definitely a player for the future, McVeigh and Bevan are playing career best footy, and Grundy is out of the side. I couldn't be happier with where our young guys are at the moment!
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Blog Entries
    The big difference with Bird today, was crashing through traffic to get or with the ball, and still getting it away, where as previously he seemed to struggle with this aspect of his game.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The big difference with Bird today, was crashing through traffic to get or with the ball, and still getting it away, where as previously he seemed to struggle with this aspect of his game.
    Absolutely. Sitting up high (oh these horrid Telstra games where I have to pay for tickets), you could see him setting himself from 10m off the pack, leaving his man and ploughing in at full speed, gather the ball purely by presence and good judgement, and clear it out again with nice hands.

A real hard nut in the making and for an 18yo, a pleasing confidence to back himself.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Absolutely. Sitting up high (oh these horrid Telstra games where I have to pay for tickets), you could see him setting himself from 10m off the pack, leaving his man and ploughing in at full speed, gather the ball purely by presence and good judgement, and clear it out again with nice hands...
    Ala Goodsie on song, only Bird seemed to get the ball more often. Probably because he is around the pack more often.
    I think we have finally got a midfield we can boast about occassionally.
    Mattner seemed to have a good game too. He was reading the play quite well, intercepting a few kicks, then again he could probably afford to leave his man yesterday, their forwards weren't really damaging.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    That might reflect largely on the composition of the opposition midfield though. It must have been like being back in underage footy for him. He's still not going to be able to rely on crashing through tackles as a major weapon against most teams because those that don't resemble an U18 side aren't going to let him get away with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That might reflect largely on the composition of the opposition midfield though. It must have been like being back in underage footy for him. He's still not going to be able to rely on crashing through tackles as a major weapon against most teams because those that don't resemble an U18 side aren't going to let him get away with it.
    Fair call. The Commentators mentioned the size of the Bombers kids compared to ours, Skinny v Solid.

But it still has to be good for him to know he can do it.

And Moore made Rama look second rate.

Moore- Poor tonight, missed a simple shot at a pivotal moment.
    Barlow - Disgraceful, questions will be asked...very disappointing
    Jack - Only good new boy. Stood up when it mattered.
    Mattner - patchy tonight.
    Playfair - Ordinary as usual.

Ramifications :
    Barlow definately to Canberra, Playfair should go to Canberra.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I reckon we should give Barlow a run in Playfair's position.

I thought Playfair was fine by his standards. Took at least one very tough mark in the 3rd.

The problem is that his standards are not terribly high.

It wasn't the missed shots by Moore that meant he played a poor game. (You'd hardly say Malceski played a poor one even though, but for Delta's mate's skills at milking frees, he could have cost us the points.) It was the lack of clean hands, inability to get to the contest, and failure to inject himself into the game. Strange and unexpected; hopefully a one-off.

In a quarter of 'we would have lost without it' moments, Jack deserves particular credit for his titanic one-on-one with Kerr on the wing at a crucial moment. He fought Kerr to a draw at first, and then when teammates came to assist, got the takeaway. Still a very young kid but obviously not overawed by occasions or opponents.

I thought Ryan Davis played well...

Wrong team, sorry.

Must agree about that moment of Jack that was absolutely brilliant for a young bloke when he was playing on a top quality opponent to not only draw it originally but be good enough to get the takeaway. He is going to be very very very good imo.

Really pleased with the progress of Moore, Jack and Bird. They look more accomplished each week.

I think Barlow needs a position to play and not be a mini-Goodes. Key position forward instead of Playfair would be worthwhile trial, alternatively key position defence.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast