Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McVeigh - has he finally nailed his spot?

On the Rookie List

McVeigh - has he finally nailed his spot?

Quite frankly i have never been a fan but i have to change my tune now. Just checked his contested possesion stats and he is fourth or fifth, which is pretty good. I think i have to reset my expectations of him, as a top 5 draft pick i expected him to be a real game breaker ... (which he never will be) but instead solid contributor.

So mea culpa mcveigh....

Using the number of RWOers selecting him in the Goal kicking comp as a criteria then he seems to now have "made it"

I read; 'McVeigh - has he finally nailed his sport'

MMM works out what game he is meant to be playing. At last!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanner View Post
    Quite frankly i have never been a fan but i have to change my tune now. Just checked his contested possesion stats and he is fourth or fifth, which is pretty good. I think i have to reset my expectations of him, as a top 5 draft pick i expected him to be a real game breaker ... (which he never will be) but instead solid contributor.

So mea culpa mcveigh....
    The interesting thing about that is he was injured the year leading up to that draft, and had been tipped to go even higher than he did!

We need to keep in mind that when Jarrad was coming up for draft eligibility he was viewed as an elite middle (in particular) and long distance runner who had good skills and was the brother of someone who had recently been a top 10 draft pick. He was very good as a junior, and I think deserving of the pick at the time; obviously that he was a NSW boy helped the Swans make the decision, but I've spoken to folks who were involved with making the call to take him and they said whilst that was a factor it certainly wasn't a determining one.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

forward coach
    has improved and lifted his intensity,but still prone to the panic handball to no one just like a u/10 getting tackled.
    still great to see him finally earn his spot

On the Rookie List
    Perhaps like so many other Swans ,including Kirk, he has learnt so much from tagging really good opposition players. Now he has been released from a purely defensive role he knows where to position himself and how the play is likely to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Perhaps like so many other Swans ,including Kirk, he has learnt so much from tagging really good opposition players. Now he has been released from a purely defensive role he knows where to position himself and how the play is likely to go.
    That's a good point. And if other youngsters can improve as much as McVeigh....Yes even I, an enthusiastic McVeigh critic, think he's become a pretty good player. Hopefully Jack will be next cab off the rank, because he already looks a star in the making.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Jack has done a great job tagging hence why Macca is now thriving in the Fosdike role.

Still reckon there is room for both.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I reckon he has nailed his spot as well as an awesome goal from the boundary.

Lucky he made it though, Magic would've been spewin'.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Genuine goalkicking midfielder.

Guy is a gun. Never lost faith in Macca
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Living in 2005
    I think Macca has had his spot well and truly nailed for a fair while.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yup 59 games straight (and counting) would pretty much confirm it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast