Thread: 2008 - Positives and Negatives, so far

Suspended by the MRP

2008 - Positives and Negatives, so far

Negatives and Positives from our season so far:

Positives:
    Jarred Moore: He is one player, that ever since he was drafted, I was a fan straight away. "Bulldog" as he is affectionately known, is far becoming a cult figure at the Swans, with his tenacious appetite for hard work. I hope he continues on his improvement, and plays all 22 games, including finals which will earmark his breakthrough season.

Jarrad McVeigh: has been a maligned player for the Swans over his short career, but so far this year, he is finally showing his talent. He has averaged 21 disposals a game, kicked 8 goals, and would have to be an early favourite alongside Craig Bolton to win the clubs Best and Fairest Award.

Kieran Jack: Another youngster stepping up this year He stopped Daniel Kerr in Round 4 and earning himself a Rising Star Nomination, which was the first time since 2004. He is one of the beneficial?s of Paul Roos' youth movement at the club. He will be at the club a very long time I am predicting, he has that Bloods' ethos about him.

The recruitment of Martin Mattner: He has been in great form this year, since he crossed over from the Adelaide Crows. He has tried to give us run from the backline in the absence of Nick Malceski, and wouldn't it be great to watch all 3 in the one side, Mattner, Malceski and Kennelly giving us plenty of drive, run and carry from defence.

Negatives:
    Controversy after controversy: So far this season, we have had, match fixing allegations thrown at us by Andrew Demetriou during the NAB Cup, Barry Hall's 7 week suspension which has threatened to derail our season, and the 19th man controversy. It seems, after every game we played, there is someone out there, ready to take pot shots at the Swans. I get the feeling that they want us to fail. But with all these controversies, I hope this galvanises the playing group, and plays above their weight and hit top form soon.

Nick Davis: With Barry Hall being out, we needed Davis to finally stand up when it is counted and win us games of Football, like the 2005 finals series. He hasn't done that and for that he has been dropped a couple of times. He has had chances to win games for us against St. Kilda in Round 1 and North Melbourne in Round 6. It is now or never for the once favourite son, and if he doesn't perform, he could be one big name player that could be on the trading table after the season.

Ben Mathews: Seriously, I do not know why Roos brought him back in for the game against the Western Bulldogs. I know the reasoning behind it, which was to replace an injured Luke Ablett, but to be frank, he is past it. He turned the ball over, time and time again on Sunday and was caught a couple of times being too slow. He has been a fine servant for the club over the years, but your time has come Benny to move on, and give a younger player like Nick Smith a chance.

Summary:
    After a promising start to the season after 4 rounds, where we were sitting 4th with 3 wins and 1 loss, we have hit a snag and are now at the crossroads. I believe the Barry Hall suspension has hurt the club, and we need to re-group for the round 8 game against Essendon at ANZ Stadium, or our top 4 chances will be shot to pieces. Also losing closes games hurts. Losing games by 2 points to St. Kilda and the draw against North Melbourne are both games that we should have won. It has hindered our chances greatly for a top 4 berth.

We need the younger players like Jarred Moore, Kieran Jack, Eddie Barlow and Craig Bird to keep on improving and need players such as Henry Playfair and Nick Davis to stand up in our forward line in the absence of Barry Hall. On a positive note however, Nick Malceski who ruptured his ACL in the NAB Cup game against Hawthorn could be back in the senior line-up within a month after having radical surgery which no doubt will be a boost for the Swans. We also have Peter Everitt back in the side, to give us another tall option in the forward line if needed.

I think we are still a top 4 chance, if we beat Essendon. The Bombers game is a must win game for the Swans, and we need to take advantage of an injury hit team at home at ANZ Stadium. But, please Paul Roos, do us Swans supporters a favour and keep to your word about weeding players out that cannot kick the ball such as Ben Mathews. Play more kids if need be, such as Patrick Veszpremi, Brett Meredith and Daniel O'Keefe, but do not bring in Ben Mathews, I cannot stress that enough.

Signed: One frustrated Swannie.

Regular in the Side
    I have wanted Moore to succeed & was thrilled by his early form this year...but frankly he has regressed very obviously in the last several weeks. WHY?
    McVeigh was finally proving the skeptics wrong but is also off the boil.
    Unless both rediscover their best we are in for a hard ride home.