Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Interchange rule.

IMO, AFL also tries to slow down the whole interchange. There were complaints in the past that there are too many changes during the game.

Blog Entries
    Simple fix. No change to inter change system. If a side is later found to have had more than 18 on the field (as in our game v North) the side loses any points they earned for the match and the other side gets 4. No team would make the error - at least not twice.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    There were complaints in the past that there are too many changes during the game.
    That's because there are too many changes during the game! Coaches these days seem to be obsessed with midfield rotations. 100+ interchanges a match is ridiculous. I don't agree with the AFL's handling of this, but it's completely understandable that they would want to slow down the whole interchange process.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Simple fix. No change to inter change system. If a side is later found to have had more than 18 on the field (as in our game v North) the side loses any points they earned for the match and the other side gets 4. No team would make the error - at least not twice.
    Happened a few years ago in the NRL IIRC - the Cowboys (?) lost their premiership points for briefly fielding an extra man in a game they won, but in that case I think the result of the game was allowed to stand, and the other team wasn't awarded the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    That's because there are too many changes during the game! Coaches these days seem to be obsessed with midfield rotations. 100+ interchanges a match is ridiculous. I don't agree with the AFL's handling of this, but it's completely understandable that they would want to slow down the whole interchange process.
    Why?

I mean, how many interchanges should there be? And why should it be limited??

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chow-Chicker View Post
    Why?

I mean, how many interchanges should there be? And why should it be limited??
    I don't think it should be limited, but I can understand why the AFL might want to, if that makes sense. It just seems more in keeping with how the AFL "wants" the game to be played (at least IMHO). If they limit the number of interchanges, teams that rely on their fitness to get numbers around the ball and wear other sides down with their pressure and tackling (i.e. us) would (in the AFL's eyes) probably be less successful as players would get tired more quickly and start falling off tackles, etc...favouring the more skilful/"talented" teams.

I have no idea if this is actually the AFL's intention - while the number of interchanges does seem pretty high at the moment I think they should just let the game evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Tonight on the winners they showed some footage of the Crows/Dees game (IIRC) where a player stepped into the field of play. One of the commentators said "that'll be a free kick next week".
    Obviously I wasn't paying attention to the fine print in the rule - will they really pay a 50 and free kick agst the crows next week? At the start of the game? (I really hope I've misunderstood)
    GOLD

Thx LK, that gave me a great laugh. The fact it appears u were serious made it doubly funny.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    I went to the Geelong v Richmond game and there were a couple of things I noticed.
    In the first quarter a Geelong player was about to come off the ground but because the "paperwork" had not been lodged with the interchange steward he had to stand there and wait. The Geelong officials were absolutely going off at the steward.
    Then later in the game Ling and Harley collided so they both had to come off. At first they were kept on the field but then taken off and because there was no "paperwork" no Geelong players could go on so there were only 16 Geelong players on the field!

From listening to the swans game on the radio I heard of one occassion where Fletcher was buggered so he took himself off but because of no "paperwork" noone could come on so he had to run all the way back to our goal square to pick up a swans player.

I think this rule could have an affect on us due to the fact that some of our interchanges are as a result of players taking themselves off. The swans need to come up with a process to handle this.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    GOLD

Thx LK, that gave me a great laugh. The fact it appears u were serious made it doubly funny.
    Glad I could help! It was pretty good and I was sirius
    Last edited by goswannie14; 22nd May 2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I went to the Geelong v Richmond game and there were a couple of things I noticed.
    In the first quarter a Geelong player was about to come off the ground but because the "paperwork" had not been lodged with the interchange steward he had to stand there and wait. The Geelong officials were absolutely going off at the steward.
    Then later in the game Ling and Harley collided so they both had to come off. At first they were kept on the field but then taken off and because there was no "paperwork" no Geelong players could go on so there were only 16 Geelong players on the field!

From listening to the swans game on the radio I heard of one occassion where Fletcher was buggered so he took himself off but because of no "paperwork" noone could come on so he had to run all the way back to our goal square to pick up a swans player.

I think this rule could have an affect on us due to the fact that some of our interchanges are as a result of players taking themselves off. The swans need to come up with a process to handle this.
    This is the farcical situation Roos is concerned about. Sure, they will stop cases of 19 v 18, but instead you will have situations of 16 v 18.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

I still don't know why 5 clubs made 10+ breaches of the rule last week that were recorded and clubs warned and NO fines !!!

Why were they not punished while the old rule was in place?

These 5 clubs should all have donated at least $50,000 to theAFL
    How could we play a full round with neither the old or new rule applying??

Any ideas or maybe just tooooo hard for AFL heavyweights to start fining everyone.

It has been common practice every game I have ben at to see players metres onto the ground before their changeover player crossed.
    This was ignored.

I look forward to the first time a player steps on the line - according to Adrian Anderson - strictly enforced.

How long will it be before the rule / system is changed again?

Blog Entries
    Apparently the pies had 4 players queuing up to get off the ground last night, while the paper work was completed!!

Farcical!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast