Thread: Cooky's Sad Exit

On the Rookie List

Cooky's Sad Exit

Before Des moves this on, I just thought I would check to see if anyone else thinks this is a tragedy for Freo and Troy Cook himself.

We have watched Cooky work very very hard this year and being an ex-Swan was sadened to see him miss the finals like this.

Cooky is as unconditional and as honest as they come. Hard Luck Cooky, we're thinking of you back here in Sydney!

Senior Player
    Looks like Brissy, Freo and ourselves are going in next weekend with a pretty rotten run of injuries.

Still looking to see Tarrant go up to the Tribunal for that cheap shot in Friday night.

This is more of a general AFL topic, but it's certainly a shame if he's out (I'm not sure what happened?). I always had a lot of time for cookie.

I'm pretty sure he played a final or two for us in 98/99 though?

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Originally posted by desredandwhite
    This is more of a general AFL topic, but it's certainly a shame if he's out (I'm not sure what happened?). I always had a lot of time for cookie.

I'm pretty sure he played a final or two for us in 98/99 though?
    If it turns out we play Freo in the next few weeks I'll be a bit more relaxed knowing none of our players will suffer one of his shirtfronts.

I always loved them when he was on our side though.

I'll never forget that hit on Rohan Smith at the SCG.

One of the all-time best, fair shirtfronts.

On the Rookie List
    I'll never forgive Eade for letting Cook go.You can work on a players disposals and teach him to kick better. But you can't teach a player to go in as hard as Cook and hip 'n' shoulder as good as Cooky.

Agree there brit - and the same thing has been mentioned many times on here about Jude Bolton, and to a lesser extent Paul Kelly. Both hard nuts at the ball, with skills that started off very ordinary, but improved as time passed.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Was just reading an article on realfooty - poor Cookie, has not missed a single match for Freo since he went over there in 2000, where the Dockers did not finish higher than 12th in his first 3 seasons. They finally make the finals, and he misses out.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Saw him take out Jess Sinclair (sp?) at Subi a few years ago. Sweet shirtfront! I guess we let him go to Freo because we still had Kel' at the time but I was disappointed.

Bad news for Cookie.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Sanecow
    Saw him take out Jess Sinclair (sp?) at Subi a few years ago.
    i thought it was mcmanus, all i remember is long blonde hair flying from the collision

Definately Sinclair.

Maybe he could have used delayed concussion as a defence at the tribunal 2 weeks ago!!

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Late post, however I travleled from Sydney to the first ever Swans v Port game at footy park and Cooky as it happens was sensational, I think he got possessions in the mid 20s and the Swannies got ahead early and held their nerve. This is the way for Saturday night.....this is a time for legends to be born!
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren