Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The media is starting to take notice

Bottoming Out

I still think this need to "bottom out" theory while it is romantic and exciting (in seeing a whole heap of young low draft picks turning into a premiership team _) is still fairly unproven.

Of the recent premiers , you will always find some low draft picks but, many of geelong and west coasts talent were not the result of low draft picks, Brisbane were the recipient of some generous concessions in the merger with Fitzroy, Port havent ever really bottomed out and the Swans , well everyone seems to know our story.

The bottoming out theory hasnt worked for Richmond yet, St Kilda while seen to be loaded with talent from their consistent bottoming out but hasnt even made a grand final, melbourne are still at the bottom despite bottoming out a number of times and hawthorn while the most exciting but havent made the top four at this stage.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I still think this need to "bottom out" theory while it is romantic and exciting (in seeing a whole heap of young low draft picks turning into a premiership team _) is still fairly unproven.

Of the recent premiers , you will always find some low draft picks but, many of geelong and west coasts talent were not the result of low draft picks, Brisbane were the recipient of some generous concessions in the merger with Fitzroy, Port havent ever really bottomed out and the Swans , well everyone seems to know our story.

The bottoming out theory hasnt worked for Richmond yet, St Kilda while seen to be loaded with talent from their consistent bottoming out but hasnt even made a grand final, melbourne are still at the bottom despite bottoming out a number of times and hawthorn while the most exciting but havent made the top four at this stage.
    Maybe not low draft picks, but some damn fine father son selections, that may have otherwise been high draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Jake Niall's now got in on the act

Steadfast Swans - realfooty.com.au

Not sure about his last bit. For a start, I doubt any football fan really cares whether his team wins on that last Saturday in September with a bunch of suddenly matured youngsters or with a bunch of oldies.

And you don't need to see a dozen draftees emerge to get excited. Just reading this board over the last few months demonstrates how much enjoyment we're getting over Moore, Bird, Jack and Barlow. Plus we have plenty more in store over the next 12-24 months with Vezspremi, Murphy and Currie set to emerge at the very very least. And we can be confident that when they're brought in they'll be ready, and that they'll have the advantage of making their way alongside the mature bodies and experience of Goodes, Kirk, O'Keefe et al.

What's more, I take as much pleasure in seeing how Richards, Bolton and even Hall have blossomed under Roos as I do in watching the draftees develop.
    It was a crap article really. Watching Leo Barry Fosdike Goodes Kennelly Bolton Okeefe Ablett Buchanan Crouch come through is great. now McVeigh Malceski Jack Moore

I checked this out previously most clubs have 8-9 'recycled' players we actually usually have the same as most clubs we just do a little better with them -we have 8, St Kilda 9, Collingwood 7 (Buckley & Clement last year)

Lived through the 70s 80s and 90s been some very lean years, so amusing 3 finals searies in my lifetime until 96. Also thought the comment we are dependant on other sides falling over was frivolous
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

On the Rookie List
    I was reading the article and thinking that it was all good and then it turned very dark.

He is partly right though in that under Roos we have been spoilt for finals action. That is not against the law and if he thinks that Hawthorn is some top blueprint for success, then that is his flawed opinion. Though Footy isn't meant to be painful and the Swans footy department do it better than any other. Who says it's easier to top up skillfully than it is to bottom out and start again. Swans have done it tougher. Look at Knights and the Dons, they are in a hopeless position.

To me, following the Sydney Swans is an absolute pleasure and honour. When I look at some other clubs, we are blessed with a club culture that is at the top of the AFL...none better.

Even when our onfield success is at question, we still have a club culture that does not embarrass us, it's proud, it's hard working and it's respectful of all stakeholders (that's ?s' people).
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Living in 2005
    Am I missing something? 20% above the salary cap?

A) I thought it was never anymore than 10%
    B) I thought it was reduced to something more like 7% at the same time the Lions lost their Retention allowance.

Also, I love how Hawthorn was used for that article without a Premiership since 1991 because in 2003/2004/2005 St. Kilda was the 'young ' comparison that did all the painful things and drafted, drafted, drafted while ageing Sydney was boring and going nowhere. Hmmm, I wonder which club is still going strong and which club got so desperate they took the others Asst. Coach....

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Am I missing something? 20% above the salary cap?

A) I thought it was never anymore than 10%
    B) I thought it was reduced to something more like 7% at the same time the Lions lost their Retention allowance.

Also, I love how Hawthorn was used for that article without a Premiership since 1991 because in 2003/2004/2005 St. Kilda was the 'young ' comparison that did all the painful things and drafted, drafted, drafted while ageing Sydney was boring and going nowhere. Hmmm, I wonder which club is still going strong and which club got so desperate they took the others Asst. Coach....
    St Kilda is the most pathetic club in the AFL.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    St Kilda is the most pathetic club in the AFL.
    Give Freo time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Give Freo time.
    LOL. How long do we have to wait? Weeks, Years?

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    LOL. How long do we have to wait? Weeks, Years?
    Just until the last quarter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Just until the last quarter.
    Every one of them?

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I feel so dirty saying this, but I actually wouldn't mind a 'Pies flag, only because I like the way they play.
    I take this back. Sick of losing to them!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345