Thread: The reason we won the 2005 GF and lost 2006.........

Senior Player

The reason we won the 2005 GF and lost 2006.........

is Jason Ball.

Plenty made of Jolly's efforts in 2006 (a chance to redeem himself this year, he's been outSTANDING thus far) but little of Ball's effect during the '05 finals series.

Can Spider step up in the second half of '08???

Those that continue to downplay the effectiveness of big men................

are wrong.

September Giants | Herald Sun

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Must agree. There is no substitute for big bodies at certain times and places. We are better off with Jolly and Spida than Jolly and LRT/Ted. And better in pairs than one-and-a-half.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

You are forgetting Doyle had a pretty handy finals series in 2006. I think in those 4 weeks he repaid all the faith we had put in him through all his injuries.

In the 2006 GF, it was Doyles ability to match it with Cox, that gave us a chance.

The only difference between 2005 and 2006 is one straight kick, one straight pass or even one straight handball. Both teams to win a flag by less than a kick is about as fair a result as you could get.

I'm not convinced Spida can stand up in finals yet. He has zero defensive skills, and near useless at ground level. A couple of weaknesses other teams may exploit in the hot bed of finals.

Don't agree at all. Jolly was shocking in '06 GF but it was only a 5 point turn around. I don't think that you can just put that down to the absence of Jason Ball.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Don't agree at all. Jolly was shocking in '06 GF but it was only a 5 point turn around. I don't think that you can just put that down to the absence of Jason Ball.
    Agreed.

I'm sure that many here would blame O'Loughlin if we lost the 05 GF.
    In the end it's the team as a whole who win or lose.
    Others make up for team mates deficiencies or mistakes.
    Those who crave an ideal world where everyone plays perfectly will always be let down.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I'm sure that many here would blame O'Loughlin if we lost the 05 GF.
    And how unfair would that have been.

He absolutely tore Chick a new one in the final quarter of the '05 GF, but his kicking boots just deserted him completely. If he kicked those goals, a big IF I acknowledge, his final quarter would have ranked beside another famous final quarter a fortnight previous.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    In the final minutes of the 06 GF, sorry, but I keep going back over Goodesy running around is man on the mark heading towards goal, spotting up Hall and kicking the floater to Embley. If he had bounced once more and gained 20m he could have gone for goal (and Swans win), or even get a point (and back next week). Have never seen a wide enough view of it to see if that option was possible (or would he have been run down), notwithstanding he must have been exhausted, as they all were no doubt.