Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reserves Report - 14 June

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I was watching the seniors game again today and in the second quarter J Bolton missed a mark, made a weak attempt to tackle and then didn't chase which nearly led to a Saints goal. No comment was made. Yet if Davis did anything even remotely similar there would be a hundred posts about how weak he is. I'm not suggesting that J Bolton doesn't work harder than Davis, but certainly perception does make a difference even if not entirely accurate.
    That happened not far in front of me and I immediately thought of what the reaction would be if that was Davis.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
    I reckon Brother Davis will get a run in the ones again eventually this season, just needs to get the defensive pressure up, he definitely has it in him.
    If his defensive pressure was all that was keeping him out, surely he would simply put in a few highly defensive games against some Canberra nuff nuffs and get back in.

It must be more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    wouldnt put your hard earned on that happening.

Davis will struggle to get in while roosy is coaching from the bench, they would have to talk
    Perhaps they could have a peace pow wow over a bucket of KFC.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Roos spoke about Davis on SEN, saying that he rated him as a player but that football was about more than kicks, marks and handballs. Maybe he is judging him on hairstyle or boot colour. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Donners View Post
    Roos spoke about Davis on SEN, saying that he rated him as a player but that football was about more than kicks, marks and handballs. Maybe he is judging him on hairstyle or boot colour. :\
    He's right, though. There are plenty of blokes out there who accumulate stats that look very attractive for Dream Team players, but make very little difference to whether their team wins or loses.

The inference is that Roos thinks Davis is a bit of a Hollywood by inclination, and until and unless he shows that he's a real team player, he'll be on the outer. Whether a player chases an opponent to put on defensive pressure is just one manifestation of whether he's a team player. A lot of it is very hard to see if you're not inside the club.

Not saying Nick doesn't measure up-- I really hope he does and can. The problem is that in terms of natural talent, he's seemingly embarrassingly above Canberra level. That's not the best environment for someone who's no Kirk in terms of self-motivation, to push himself to his limits consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    That happened not far in front of me and I immediately thought of what the reaction would be if that was Davis.
    If you guys are recalling the time when he missed the mark near the players race in the second quarter, I think your being a bit harsh. Jude made that contest after running from basically the attacking side of the other wing (where he had lead to in the previous play).

His lead was honoured way too late and he ended up in a one on one with someone who followed him across from the centre. When the ball went to ground Jude was spent after making that gut busting run and at the same time he still chased (albeit in slow motion).

That is why all things are not as simplistic as they appear.

I think Jude has been very good for quite few weeks now. Prior to 4-5 weeks ago, I too would have said his spot in the side seems shakey, but in that period of time, he's been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    If you guys are recalling the time when he missed the mark near the players race in the second quarter, I think your being a bit harsh. Jude made that contest after running from basically the attacking side of the other wing (where he had lead to in the previous play).

His lead was honoured way too late and he ended up in a one on one with someone who followed him across from the centre. When the ball went to ground Jude was spent after making that gut busting run and at the same time he still chased (albeit in slow motion).

That is why all things are not as simplistic as they appear.
    Now that u mention it, I remember it clearly. He did sprint flat out for 150m before the ball got to him. I commented to my mate at the time I wasn't surprised he dropped it, he would have been absolutely buggered.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I think Jude has been very good for quite few weeks now. Prior to 4-5 weeks ago, I too would have said his spot in the side seems shakey, but in that period of time, he's been pretty good.
    you give a guy some time and dont drop him and he comes good.

if only the same rules applied to all
    Theres not much left to say

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ahhhh gotcha, so you're suggesting that at times there are mitigating circumstances that need to be factored in when considering perceived failed second efforts?

Sprinted 150m BBB? Quite a long distance to make from one side of a ground to the other.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Sprinted 150m BBB? Quite a long distance to make from one side of a ground to the other.
    Yep, started around the forward 50 near the O'Reilly, sprinted straight across towards the Ladies then straightened up leading down the line to finally spill the mark in front of the players race.

Maybe 140m then

Sorry it shows your pinup boy in a bad light, but if you didn't bring it up, I doubt anybody would have even linked it.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast