Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROK on On the Couch next Monday...

ROK on On the Couch next Monday...

....my missus is beside herself.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    I love him as a player, and I met him once at a function and had a nice long chat and he was funny and charming. But as an interviewee on TV I'm not sure he's the most exciting Swan.

Mind you, he'll have his work cut out being duller than Chris Judd was this week!

I see that Walls and Mike still haven't seen the Swans play much this year, and in particular, haven't twigged onto just how well McVeigh is going this year. Healy led into his comments on the Swans by talking about just what a good season McVeigh was having, to which the other two immediately jumped in and said "yes well, Sydney have half a dozen McVeighs don't they, blokes who just go about their business with no drama. And aren't Moore and Jack fitting in nicely". Quickly change the subject to Essendon.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I love him as a player, and I met him once at a function and had a nice long chat and he was funny and charming. But as an interviewee on TV I'm not sure he's the most exciting Swan.

Mind you, he'll have his work cut out being duller than Chris Judd was this week!

I see that Walls and Mike still haven't seen the Swans play much this year, and in particular, haven't twigged onto just how well McVeigh is going this year. Healy led into his comments on the Swans by talking about just what a good season McVeigh was having, to which the other two immediately jumped in and said "yes well, Sydney have half a dozen McVeighs don't they, blokes who just go about their business with no drama. And aren't Moore and Jack fitting in nicely". Quickly change the subject to Essendon.
    I'm not sure they gave Judd much to work with, they seemed to want to ask him everything bar football!

Gerard Healy is one media commentator who actually knows the Swans so to hear him talk up our chances is very encouraging.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Suspended by the MRP
    Well I be @@@@@@, they finally choose a Swans player. How many years have they done that?

Yeah Healy rates us highly, wich is good to see, chris judd was so boring tonight on the couch...

The only guy on "on the couch" who knows ANYTHING about Sydney is Gerard Healy. After all, Mike Sheahan only watches most interstate games from home! If he actually got out there and saw a game live we might take his comments of our team seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by bloods2005 View Post
    Yeah Healy rates us highly, wich is good to see, chris judd was so boring tonight on the couch...
    if i could play like that i wouldnt feel the need to keep being entertaining
    Theres not much left to say

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    hang on a sec, Wallsey went overboard
    "The Swans have the smartest working forward line in the competition and has been for five years, the way that they make space, the way that they put the ball to advantage, the way that they chip pass into the forward 50m to blokes who can go back and kick a goal."

prior to that they talked more about the Aints woes after the intro by GH that they were going to talk about the Swans.

Judd wasn't much chop to listen to: fibbed INMHO about drug culture NOT being the reason he left, very flaky about his post relationships with Illeagles players - I read he doesn't have much to do with them.

Fancy not reading the article about his partner, find that a bit pathetic, as long as there was no detrimental stuff about him, he wasn't interested.

Oh well they are not paid to talk, he's sensational to watch.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    hang on a sec, Wallsey went overboard
    "The Swans have the smartest working forward line in the competition and has been for five years, the way that they make space, the way that they put the ball to advantage, the way that they chip pass into the forward 50m to blokes who can go back and kick a goal."

Which is further proof that he hasn't watched us much this year. If there is one thing that does seem to have evolved about the game style it is that we're far less reliant on getting the ball to 60m out and then finding a short lead. The short passes that have found a man not far out from goal seem to have been more from play-on situations (rather than static chips) like Jude's kick to Bevan against West Coast. And players like Goodes and O'Keefe seem to be playing on immediately from the middle of the ground and kicking long to the forward line.

On the Rookie List
    I don't know why we contstantly worry about what the Melbourne media think of Sydney. It's a waste of time. Those guys have to sell papers in Melbourne, no where else. Sydney is not traditional AFL, so we are a token thought.

Same when we go to SA or WA, of course they are bias when calling against the Swans.

IF and it's a BIG IF, Sydney ever produced a caller or commentator that was hired by FOX or 7 or 10 and called local games, then I suspect, that person might lean Sydney's way, we would hardly notice it and our Melbourne rivals would calling that person unbalanced, bias and a no-nothing! All true too ha

Anyhoo, Gerard is a brilliant facilitator, Mike does an okay job, they manage Walls as well as can be expected and truth be told, manipulate him to the shows advantage.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Which is further proof that he hasn't watched us much this year. If there is one thing that does seem to have evolved about the game style it is that we're far less reliant on getting the ball to 60m out and then finding a short lead. The short passes that have found a man not far out from goal seem to have been more from play-on situations (rather than static chips) like Jude's kick to Bevan against West Coast. And players like Goodes and O'Keefe seem to be playing on immediately from the middle of the ground and kicking long to the forward line.
    That's right, but maybe we had to. Without Hally we had a patch, where 8x out of 10, we couldn't kick a set shot 30m out. Even MickeyO, for a while there, would rather play on and snap rather than steady etc I like the new trend - using ALL options.

Love watching on the couch but got to agree that Judd was a bit of a dud. Looked like they were all a little on tenderhooks on what to ask him (as compared to harvey a few weeks ago).

I havent seen a lot of him in personal interviews but he didnt seem to be the deep thinker that everyone potrays him to be. Maybe someone can correct me on this but seemed more like the thinking light was out and nobody was home.

Claiming not to read the papers (even a feature article of his girlfriend) is a little less einstein and a little more Elle (I dont read anything I havent written myself) Macpherson to me.

Doesnt make him any less a footballer of course but have often found at any level of football it is the "non thinkers" that tend to be pretty good players.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast