Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse White

Jesse White

Hey guys,

I was just thinking with the introduction of the new Gold Coast team gathering momentum by the day, we have one recruit who i can see would be identified and highly sort after. Although he has not really shown much @ afl (only played one game) i can see him making it.

How hard do you think the new franchise will go after Jesse White? and what are the chances he will leave us?

IMO he would be very sought after due to his size, mobility and by the time they are introduced he will be ready made.

I hope Sydney keeps him. He'll be a gun, I'm sure of it.

And his leadership qualities are already in evidence. He has taken to directing play, like Mal did when he was pre seniors.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

i think he will be a star, have loved watching his game & he's got the build to be a barry hall type player!

Would love to keep him, but of course if he goes, we'd want one of their top-10 draft picks in compensation
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

I know the GC will get some concessions, but are they allowed to have 19 players on the field??
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I know the GC will get some concessions, but are they allowed to have 19 players on the field??
    If they get 20 of the top 24 draft picks, there's always the chance they can field 19 players or at least get favouritism from the umps.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post

Post of the day
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Why is it so hard for a thread to stay on topic?

Does anyone think he will go? since he was drafted from southport is this a danger, also he has been starved of a opportunities with such a successful team since he has been drafted. Surely if he was at a lesser club he would have more than one senior game next to his name.

I wonder if this will play a part in his decision? Also wonder what they are going to decide with the GC as the draft concessions are not set in stone. Hopefully if he does decide to go we at least get something in return. Although, it would really strain out young KP stocks that we quite obviously don't have the depth that a Hawthorn have.

Which reminds me, as we have done most recently who will our big name KPF recruit be in the post O'Loughlin/Hall era. I would be hoping young Mitch Thorp has had enough on the limited oppotunities at Hawthorn and decides to forge his career with another team. He is highly rated though so would take some trading, can't see too much we could offer, but always worth dreaming. Possibly 1st rounder & a quality youngster. As much as I hate to say it at the moment the only one i can think of that is dispensable and quality is J.Moore, know it will never happen but something we will need to address sooner rather than later.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Does anyone think he will go? since he was drafted from southport is this a danger, also he has been starved of a opportunities with such a successful team since he has been drafted. Surely if he was at a lesser club he would have more than one senior game next to his name.
    Has he really be starved of opportunities? Or is in he in the same boat as all but the very best U18 players who would really be better off being given time to develop physically and skill-wise at his own pace, rather than being thrown in the deep end into AFL footy before he is really ready.

A combination of much smaller lists than 10 or 15 years ago and the (predominantly Melbourne based) crap clubs who are obsessed with getting the youngest lists they can (with the expectation of being further rewarded for fielding teams that physically aren't up to it) means that far too many players are blooded at senior level before they are ready. For every Judd or Selwood, there would be a dozen or so players who would be better off not playing AFL footy straight away - not least so that they learn to earn a spot, rather than being gifted one.

But even those crap clubs tend not to throw their 196cm players into the fray straight away. How many games has the number 3 player from White's draft - Hansen - played, for example. OK, more than 1, but not by much.

Add on to that the fact that White wasn't really an elite level junior, and the club commented when he was drafted that he had a lot to learn about AFL, I think they are doing the right thing by not rushing him. If you've seen much of him at reserves level you will know that he shows promise and some exciting athletic attributes but is far from dominating even at that level.
    Last edited by liz; 18th June 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Why is it so hard for a thread to stay on topic?

Sorry....just having a bit of a laugh! Helps me get through a tough and demoralising day.

What Liz says is accurate and of course they will have tossed his name about just as they have looked at people like whats his face the ex- lions capt for their coach. Any Qld connection would be a point of contact just like a Tassie team would look at ex-Tasmanians(except Cresswell)
    Last edited by goswannie14; 19th June 2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

its awfully hard for anyone to have an informed opinion about it when it is still a couple of years away from being a possibility. Who knows what opportunities he will get between now and then?
    And stuff giving our quality youngster up to get another unproven youngster! And especially not Jarred Moore- you have to remember we have a lot of older players and a lot that will exit the stage about the same time. We should hang on for dear life. Sure give some draft picks away if necessary, but not players that we need to form the group that will become the next 'experienced' brigade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast