Thread: Honour The Names

Honour The Names

Has anyone else got a copy of this book? (I know you have Robbie)... My dad brought it for me on Saturday night as an early birthday present... you can imagine my shock when he gave it to me!

Seriously though, while it is very pricey, it's a great book and here are a couple of things I've noticed...

- The Swans seemed to get a LOT of two-way traffic with Port Melbourne over the years... Skilton, Bedford, Lockett (he he he), Brice, Carter... the list goes on!

- So many of our recruitments were lucky breaks under the noses of other clubs.

- A lot of players retired early because of other opportunities, or had to go to other clubs... Hugh McLaughlin from the '30s went to Footscray because he got a job with a board member there... Jim Dorgan went to Moe to captain-coach. Bernie Evans (another Borough player) didn't move to Sydney and crossed to Carlton because he thought that his job on the wharves was more secure than his footy career.

- The first two decades, in which we won two flags and made several other GF's, are under represented in the TOTC... only ONE out of 25... Jim Caldwell's family could consider him unlucky. I reckon that Sydney's RESERVE team of the century would be pretty handy.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

So far it has been a good read and what Charlie pointed out has also jumped out at me.

It was very pricey, considering the money involved in the travel I have to make in the next few weeks, but better getting it now, instead of never and anyway all the money goes to the club
    Once was, now elsewhere

Bernie Evans was a great player used to wear No 15 .

He was my favourite player and was the reason why I wore 15 during all my footy career here in Tassie.

I didn't realise he never actually moved to Sydney.Broke my heart when I got told by one of my best friends as a kid that he was going to Carlton.What made it worse was my friend was a Carlton supporter

*sigh* Bernie Evans
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

What about Normie Goss? He was one of my favorites in the early 70's and then he went to Hawthorn.

It's a great read. I also got it as an early birthday present from my sister. It now has pride of place on my entertainment unit. It's the first thing you see as you walk in the lounge room door.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace