Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Davis asks for second chance

Blog Entries
    "I just wanted to have a chat to him about where he was at this time of the year. You always try to encourage players to go as good as they can. It's one of those things, of being conscious about reassuring those players who are not playing in the seniors.''
    As one of the "negative" posters here, I do not see how that article generates many, if any, of the responses above. The journalist has made up a story, about Davis asking for a second chance. Davis was not quoted, not was his mangager. What Roos said was from last week's news. All that was quoted was Ireland's comment above, which sounds pretty positive to me. But I guess peorple here (and at the Tele) hear what they want to hear. It seems to me that Ireland took Nick out to tell him he is still loved, and that without his efforts in the 1995 semi final Roos' record would be remarkably similar to Eade's.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    As one of the "negative" posters here, I do not see how that article generates many, if any, of the responses above. The journalist has made up a story, about Davis asking for a second chance. Davis was not quoted, not was his mangager. What Roos said was from last week's news. All that was quoted was Ireland's comment above, which sounds pretty positive to me. But I guess peorple here (and at the Tele) hear what they want to hear. It seems to me that Ireland took Nick out to tell him he is still loved, and that without his efforts in the 1995 semi final Roos' record would be remarkably similar to Eade's.
    Yep, agree with all of that.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Blog Entries
    Oops.

Quite correct, It's just a photo with a long caption.

Veterans List
    I find this thread and most of the responses really sad. Nick is a talented football player but he may never play for us again unless he gets his act together. It'd be brilliant if he does as he has more natural talent than most of our best 22 - but all of them are better than he is right now.

He's not stupid so I hope he turns it around. Meanwhile I think it's bad form to make jokes about what was probably one of the most important meetings in his life. We owe him - and Crouch, Ball, Schneider, Mathews, etc some respect and gratitude for 2005 - we just don't owe him a spot on the 2008 or 2009 team until he's earned it.

Those saying they'd take Davis over Playfair don't accept that Playfair is our future and right now Davis is our past. How many of our recent wins would you be prepared to trade for the joy of seeing No 2 out on the field again? Personally, I wouldn't trade one - I like winning six in a row (and would love to see it become 7 . . then 8 . . .etc) but seeing a firing Davis producing magic for us again would be pure joy.

Do what it takes Nick - we want you back (even if we may not need you).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with all apart from Davis' 1995 semi final effort, although I'm sure he was solid for Sutho

Wouldn't it be more of a concern if Ireland didn't take time through the season to meet with players?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I have to agree with all apart from Davis' 1995 semi final effort, although I'm sure he was solid for Sutho

Wouldn't it be more of a concern if Ireland didn't take time through the season to meet with players?
    I had a big week end (and 1995 only feels like 3 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    i dont know what to make of it all, would be easier if i actually saw the reserves play first hand

but id pick him this week ahead of playfair
    He (Davis) didn't do particularly well the last time we played the pies.
    If the coaching staff (who really have the last say) say that he's not ready, well, he's not ready.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Without Shane Ellen, Malcolm Blight might have been just another coach who could take sides to the grand final but could never secure the ultimate prize. Didn't give him a guarantee of a game for the next 5 years.

Apart from Davis' unwillingness to move from Sydney, and many other clubs' unwillingness to take the chance, a further impediment to a Davis trade would be whether Sydney would get lumbered with paying part of his salary at the new club (as happened in, for example, the Nick Daffy trade as I understand it).

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

Apart from Davis' unwillingness to move from Sydney, and many other clubs' unwillingness to take the chance, a further impediment to a Davis trade would be whether Sydney would get lumbered with paying part of his salary at the new club (as happened in, for example, the Nick Daffy trade as I understand it).
    Melbourne is paying a fair chunk of Travis Johnstone's salary at the moment as well.

Agree with Lobster's post. I can't see how Ireland's comments can possibly be construed as negative for Nick's future.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Without Shane Ellen, Malcolm Blight might have been just another coach who could take sides to the grand final but could never secure the ultimate prize. Didn't give him a guarantee of a game for the next 5 years.
    Just to clarify for everyone, my comment re the 2005 semi was tongue in cheek.

Why Playfair over Davis...

1. He's big and very hard to out mark. Even if he doesn't mark the ball, he grounds the ball for our rovers.
    2. the guy can tackle and hustles and he also chases

Playfair needs to work on his kicking and I think he'll be more of an assett to us. Right now we have a very well rounded forward line, let's leave it the way it is.

I wonder how Playfair will improve his kicking now if it looks like this after five seasons with Geelong?
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast