Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend #9 - Tony "Plugger" Lockett

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Legend #9 - Tony "Plugger" Lockett

Plugger only rates at Number 9 for the All Time AFL Legends Top 50. I am surprised that the greatest goal kicker the game has ever seen just snuck in to the Top 10.

A good read nevertheless.

I realise that these things are subjective but the non-inclusion of our greatest pre- war footballer is disgraceful. The best footballer produced by Tasmania Laurie Nash was by all reports, particularly my Mum and Dad the greatest of the "golden generation" of 33. Nash although small could play centre half back or forward. He kicked 18 goals for Victoria against the Croweaters (still a record) and was dominant whenever he played. Two things went against him in the Legends selection. He left the VFL for the Association at the height of his career and the Great Depression with the Bloods to play for Camberwell for more money. Nash was the son of a blacklisted policeman who had been active in the Victorian police strike. He stood up for himself in an era when that attitude made him extremely unpopular with the VFL heirarchy. He volunteered and fought in New Guinea. He returned to the Bloods in 45 and played in the Grand Final against Carlton. He knocked unconscious the serial thug Bob Chitty in the last quarter of the match and brought the curtain down on a distinguished career. Is it any wonder that Nash didn't make into the Legends with Ken "Solvol" Hands on the selection panel. Hands played in that match and was decked by the great "Basher"Williams. No doubt the pain still lingers. Nash was a fearsome fast bowler for South Melbourne and Keith Miller reckoned he was the best cricketer never to be selected for Australia. Thet kept him out of the Bodyline series as part of the weak response to the Poms. Nash didn't endear himself to the powers that were in Victorian and Austyralian cricket by hitting Bill Woodfull in fierce spell of bowling in District grand Final. Laurie Nash is a legend of Australian sport.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Senior Player

Nash

Great piece on Laurie Nash- my late dad said he was the greatest of all time- thoughts echoed by Jack Dyer. He did play at least one test for Australia v Sth Africa- I think he took 6 wkts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Plugger only rates at Number 9 for the All Time AFL Legends Top 50. I am surprised that the greatest goal kicker the game has ever seen just snuck in to the Top 10.

A good read nevertheless.
    Perhaps the comeback cost him a few spots

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    The best part of the yarn . . .

"Plugger had four opponents that day, including Danny Hughes, Nigel Smart and a recruit, Rodney Maynard. I saw Maynard after the game and asked him what was it like playing on Plugger. He said that coach Graham Cornes had told him to try to rough up Lockett. He had grabbed Plugger's jumper early and recounted that the big fella had quickly replied: "Grab my jumper again and you can collect your head after the game four rows back."

'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Great piece on Laurie Nash- my late dad said he was the greatest of all time- thoughts echoed by Jack Dyer. He did play at least one test for Australia v Sth Africa- I think he took 6 wkts
    Thanks for the correction mate and apologies. Keith Miller may have been referring to playing Nash not playing in the Ashes. My Dad also spoke of him as the best he saw.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

"Plugger had four opponents that day, including Danny Hughes, Nigel Smart and a recruit, Rodney Maynard. I saw Maynard after the game and asked him what was it like playing on Plugger. He said that coach Graham Cornes had told him to try to rough up Lockett. He had grabbed Plugger's jumper early and recounted that the big fella had quickly replied: "Grab my jumper again and you can collect your head after the game four rows back."

Bless. Such a sweet and demure type isn't he??
    Geez I miss Plugger.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Absolute freak.

In his first 3 games of '91 he kicked 12,10,12. Ended up with 127 from 17 games @ 7.47 per game - that is just phenomenal.

One game that always sticks out in my mind is the 1998 clash against Port Adelaide at the SCG. Kelly did his knee in the opening quarter, we trailed by about a goal at half-time and looked in real trouble. Lockett had 3 to half-time and had been pretty good, given that we had only kicked 6. He absolutely dominated the 2nd half, kicking 6 in the 3rd quarter and 3 in the last. He was kicking them from everywhere in that 3rd quarter.

A fully fit Plugger in '97 and we go close to winning the flag, but that's another story
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    A fully fit Plugger in '97 and we go close to winning the flag, but that's another story
    Ah yes - injuries cost us the chance for a flag in '96, '97 and '98!

He was a freak - and imagine how many goals he could kick now without backmen able to scrag him (what SOS was able to get away with was ridiculous even then).
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post

He was a freak - and imagine how many goals he could kick now without backmen able to scrag him (what SOS was able to get away with was ridiculous even then).

This reminded me of my favourite quote about Plugger from Martin Flanagan in his article "Chernobyl in shorts"

"The first time the ball went forward for St.Kilda, Geelong defenders hung off big Tony's arms like washing off a Hill's hoist"

I think of that image whenever forwards are given a free for chopping of the arms or hands in the back now. Plugger would have kick a gizillion with the present rules.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

He is also reported to have said to Mick Martyn, who he had in a headlock and whose exceedingly plain mug was turning blue "How does it feel to die in front of 40,000 people"
    Bevo bandwagon driver

On the Rookie List
    Hahahaha.

@@@@, I miss Plugger. I remember being in tears as an 8 year old when he both destroyed Caven's face and then the Swans in one game. Now, I love the guy. He did so much for the Swannies, so I've come to forgive him for that day.
    Grandson of South Melbourne legend Keith Schaefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast