Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Leo Barry Retirement Thread

From watching the game, half the team need to be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The clanger that led to the gift goal was at least as much Mattner's fault as Leo's. Mattner's only option was to rush it through for a behind. When he gave it to Leo, Leo had absolutely nowhere to go.
    I watched that back a few times - he had the space and time (not much but enough) to get the ball out of there and instead tried to go on a run and burst through. Mattner should have rushed a behind but Barry should have disposed of the ball quickly instead of taking an age like usual.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chow-Chicker View Post
    From watching the game, half the team need to be shot.
    only half? I reckon probably 18 or 19 need to face the firing squad...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    His disposal timespan is now way too slow for the modern game, what he could could get away with two seasons is no longer possible, the opposition must now lick their lips when he gets the pill. Yippee here's a turnover!!
    Just rifle the ball out ASAP Leo, they can catch you now.
    The propping and weaving looks really silly.
    He has always been a one sided player. A lot of the weaving is to get onto his kicking side. Some of the fault is players downfield who must make position on his left side. Collingwood blocked his kicking side. Goodsey was really missed as a link man for the defenders clearring it out. Our midfield simply failed to provide enough movement upfield.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Watching the game live from an elevated vantage point, we were disgraceful at providing options upfield. Whether Leo was clear is a moot point - or Tadgh etc when they were caught - if your team mates are not running and providing options upfield, you're stuffed. The defensive pressure and running from collingwood was outstanding. You don't just slam it on the boot due to team rules - evn though that makes more sense to the average suporter.

All of our defenders were under pressure and therefore (as always) the mistakes on the last line are magnified. The stoppage on the defensive 50m line before Leo got caught in front of goals is where we actually failed and put our last line under pressure.

I'd be looking at Bevan, Moore, Buchanan, Everrit, etc first... and Hall is a disgace to the jumper.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
    So true, we would have nobody playing next week .
    The same old lines come out : Drop Leo,Monty,LRT,Bevan,J Bolton so on
    Then the habitual bring back Davo line trots out.

FFS you cant retire everyone in 1 week and drop half a dozen blokes.
    Sure if someone can be replaced do it.
    I agree

Buchanon must be dropped. Offered nothing last night and hasn't been much better previous weeks. Culminating in last nights performance, must go!

I'm serious when I say this. I didn't even realise he was playing until about late in the third quarter when I noticed him miss an easy tackle.

Add to that, I didn't even know Melcho was playing either until very late in the game last night. But his pre form has been quite good so he should not be dropped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
    I agree

Buchanon must be dropped. Offered nothing last night and hasn't been much better previous weeks. Culminating in last nights performance, must go!

I'm serious when I say this. I didn't even realise he was playing until about late in the third quarter when I noticed him miss an easy tackle.

Add to that, I didn't even know Melcho was playing either until very late in the game last night. But his pre form has been quite good so he should not be dropped.
    Monty has offered nothing since Rnd 1. I agree with your "didn't know he was playing", same comment for a few others.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    It's time.

A great servant to the club over many years, but his game tonight shows he is past it as an AFL player.
    As Meatloaf sang - "You took the words right out of my mouth"
    (I'll not quote the next line , though :-) )

Hammo , I've been saying this quietly for a few weeks now , but reserved judgment.
    I was stunned that his name was on the afl.com.au "best" list.
    He has looked slower and increasingly vulnerable when he's rebounding.

He's already indicated he's considering whether he should play on next year.

Leo , you've been magnificent - playing on bigger blokes every week, leaving me amazed by your courage and determination , making me wonder "How the HELL did he spoil that mark??"
    And I'll remember forever my eyes got a bit damp only once at a football game - straight after you had just taken a mark yourself.

Thanks for everything , mate - but it's time to go.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it was tactical pressure the Pies exerted tonight, rather than physical pressure. That's not to say the Pies weren't tackling but it wasn't the maniacal tackling they applied against the Cats a few weeks back. And the Swans probably at least matched the Pies tonight in terms of tackling pressure. It's just that they didn't bother doing much else.
    The Pies were very very well coached. By flooding back into our forward line they clogged up the space for short passes. Thus we had to resort to bombing it over the flood, which never worked all night.

Like Geelong they have worked out how to stop our handball game out of defence. Both Leo Barry Eski & Tagdh had ordinary games BECAUSE of the pressure applied to them that meant they couldn't play on & couldn't handball like they normally like to.

I don't think Hawthorn & especially Carlton will be able to clog us down both out of defence as well as in our forward 50 like the Pies did last night.

11 points in 3 quarters of football=

JF
    Last edited by JF_Bay22_SCG; 6th July 2008 at 02:15 PM.
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    He has always been a one sided player. A lot of the weaving is to get onto his kicking side. Some of the fault is players downfield who must make position on his left side. Collingwood blocked his kicking side. Goodsey was really missed as a link man for the defenders clearring it out. Our midfield simply failed to provide enough movement upfield.
    This is an excellent point. Opposition players know Leo's ducking and weaving is to to get the ball onto his left foot.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Monty has offered nothing since Rnd 1. I agree with your "didn't know he was playing", same comment for a few others.
    Close to half time, I asked the question "Is Amon playing tonight"? Now reading RWO today, it's obvious others wondered the same.

After performances like this, heads need to roll. I don't think Leo deserves the cop though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast