Thread: Time on Ground #1.

Time on Ground #1.

I have been looking at the TOG statistics as shown in the Stats Home Page of this site. I am not knowledgeable enough to really understand the implications of my analysis, but I am taken by the following oddities:

1/ How hard is rucking:

In 14 games, the combination of Jolly plus one of LRT (7 games), White (1 ) and Spida (6) have had a combined TOG % averaging 1.27. ie there is one of them off the ground for near as damn it ? of the game. Mostly Jolly is on the ground for some 75% ot the time and the other for some 50%.

For the 7 games where LRT played as relief ruckman, he averaged 56.6% time on ground. For the other 7 games he averaged 91.6% time on ground.

So, is it that Rucking is that hard; or does our 2nd ruckman come on to match the opponent 2nd man; or does our coach prefer not to have 2 big men about and prefers rotating smalls; or all of the above.

I notice some posters want Spida to fill BBBBH tall role at Full Forward ? is that in addition to rucking?

I notice some posters some times criticise LRT without reference to his dual role this year.

I have further oddities, but will save them for now. Can I get some more education from R&W fans?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So, is it that Rucking is that hard; or does our 2nd ruckman come on to match the opponent 2nd man; or does our coach prefer not to have 2 big men about and prefers rotating smalls; or all of the above.
    I think it depends on the situation. A lot of the time we'll match the ruckmen up, and will have our 2nd when their 2nd is on the ground.

It will also depend on matchups, and how tall the forward line will go. It also weakens our forward line defensive capacity. We really on a lot of defensive presssure. A ruckman can be a forward defensive liability.

A ruckman will go forward only when we can see a competitive advantage.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Can I get some more education from R&W fans?
    lol
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.