Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 15 Teams: v Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    Leo to take Williams then?
    Probably and given that Williams is a very disinterested chaser Leo could be like the Energizer battery bunny and just run and run. Jack hopefully will be given Sam Mitchell. Interesting to see how the little man with the short fuse handles Cracker's pressure. It seems like we match up on them really well across the ground. Franklin rates B2 as his toughest opponent.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Interesting stat on Bevo - no opponent has picked up more that 10 touches in a match and no opponent has kicked more than 2 goals on him.
    3 goals at least last weekend.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Interesting stat on Bevo - no opponent has picked up more that 10 touches in a match and no opponent has kicked more than 2 goals on him. All this and he can can go forward and score goals.
    So why was he moved off Thomas? As a defender he makes a good step ladder.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

I think Kirk will get Mitchell and Ablett on Hodge. I think Jack will go to Bateman. Will Hawthorn put Sewell on Goodes.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sewell is unlikely to play. Will be interesting to see who they play on Goodes if Sewell doesn't play.

Bevan is better played forward right now. As I think we've all come to realise in 2008, confidence is an even bigger issue for him than most footballers. You don't want someone down on confidence mixing it with the Hawthorn attack; but it only takes a couple of marks and kicks up forward and you have your confidence back. As Jarrad McVeigh discovered earlier in the year.

Jack can play BP as a first option on Williams, and if Luke Ablett must be in the starting 18 at all, he can go on the wing.

Even though I'm highly dubious whether Goodes will actually spend more than 2 seconds of the match at CHF, I like the look of him there on a bigger ground like the MCG.

I think starting Malceski on the bench is a good idea. Ask him to go flat-chat for 50-60 minutes and see if he's up to it, rather than looking proppy and uncertain for closer to 100 minutes.

Trusting that B2 will take Franklin, Roughead is I think our biggest individual match-up. (The 2 teams' midfield operate very much as groups, so the individual who's-on-who doesn't matter so much unless there's tagging going on.) Richards is in good form I think, and so give him a go with LRT as a back-up if we get desperate. Whenever we have the choice, Leo is better taking the creative role down back rather than trying to wrastle some gorilla 15cm taller than him.

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    So why was he moved off Thomas? As a defender he makes a good step ladder.
    Thomas kicked two goals on our other form back flanker and used him as a step ladder as well - Mattner. Bevo was moved onto Thomas because Mattner was well beaten by him in the first quarter. He kicked one gaol on Bevo and his influence faded after the first quarter. He was moved back onto Medhurst after half time after Medhurst looked damgerous. Makes sense to put the best small defender on the oppositions most dangerous players.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Whenever we have the choice, Leo is better taking the creative role down back rather than trying to wrastle some gorilla 15cm taller than him.
    So leo on Williams then? Jack pressuring Mitchell and running off him would replicate the job he did on Kerr. Give him their best mid and lets see what happens. Bevo on Guerra - he better have some extra stength glue under the wig as the tackling will be fierce
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Bird played on Mitchell in the pre season and towelled him up. Has also been named on the wing to start so maybe he will go to him in rotation with ablett
    The edge is not the limit, It's just the starting point...

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    3 goals at least last weekend.
    No one opponent. So if a defender is played on three forwards during a match and they all snag one goal against him whilst he keeps them quiet he's had a shocker?
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Thomas kicked two goals on our other form back flanker and used him as a step ladder as well - Mattner. Bevo was moved onto Thomas because Mattner was well beaten by him in the first quarter. He kicked one gaol on Bevo and his influence faded after the first quarter. He was moved back onto Medhurst after half time after Medhurst looked damgerous. Makes sense to put the best small defender on the oppositions most dangerous players.
    Yes, Roos chose to move his premier defender - Bevan - onto Medhurst and then as an afterthought decided he should do something about Thomas, so moved that hack C Bolton onto him. I guess Bolton just got lucky by totally shutting Thomas out of the game - obviously Thomas was shellshocked from Bevan's treatment and was so excited that Bevan had been moved off him that he lost concentration. Meanwhile Medhurst racked up a lazy 21 possessions and kicked 2 goals.

So leo on Williams then? Jack pressuring Mitchell and running off him would replicate the job he did on Kerr. Give him their best mid and lets see what happens. Bevo on Guerra - he better have some extra stength glue under the wig as the tackling will be fierce
    Realistically, I think Barry will go on Williams if they don't give him the (over-dangerous) job on Roughead. However, I'd prefer to see Jack trialled on Williams (who is hot & cold and might do nothing all game) at first.
    I'd generally like to see Leo put on the opposition's least-credentialled and/or slowest forward (this week as the teams are named, that's Michael Osborne) and play as an attacking defender with license to create. Much as that pains Swans supporters who can't bear the heart-in-mouth style, good sides won't just gift Sydney run from the backlines. We have to take risks to create run.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast