Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What changes are needed to go from also rans to a contender?

What changes are needed to go from also rans to a contender?

We get exposed by teams willing to play with the same intensity as us. Our decision making and skills drop away dramatically under pressure. Our pace is generally slow.
    This is what separates the top teams from the also rans. In 05/06 we handled the pressure, now we don't.
    Changes:
    Playfair.....ordinary at best, disposal is lamentable.
    LRT....Getting found out way too often
    Ablett/J Bolton....only room for one
    Everitt.....He should retire soon, can't run, or bend over, anymore

Close to retirement.....Leaper
    Please no going back.....ie Mathews, Crouch

I'd like to see more of Smith(he's quick), Schmidt, White, O'Dwyer, Vespremi
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Tsunami instinctive run on football, there is nothing to lose. The Swans are in danger of missing the finals altogether if they keep playing constipated footy and BATS IN THE BELFREY reactions to free kicks against.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to come out and admit it- after watching the last 2 games I honestly don't know what's wrong and what can be done.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

To tell the truth, I don't think we have the cattle (talent) to -really- compete with Geelong and the Bulldogs.

Our shutdown style game plan used to cover for our lack of class a few years ago but sides know how to beat us at our own game now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    To tell the truth, I don't think we have the cattle (talent) to -really- compete with Geelong and the Bulldogs.

Our shutdown style game plan used to cover for our lack of class a few years ago but sides know how to beat us at our own game now.
    Yep. New style is needed unless we just want to be a goodish top 8 side. The bad news is Longmire will probably take over after Roos and nothing will change. God I hope not!

Blog Entries
    Excitement machine Paul Roos has the answer:

http://news.smh.com.au/sport/back-to...0714-3eyi.html

It's more than personel - I think our game plan needs to be looked at.

If you watch Geelong, Hawthorn and the Dogs play, the first thing you notice - apart from the skill level - is how they play on at all costs and generally kick long.

It contrasts significantly to the Swans' slow build-up, stop-start, chip down the wings to the pockets approach. The good teams have worked out how to beat us.

Unfortunately I don't think we have the players to play any other way.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Excitement machine Paul Roos has the answer:

http://news.smh.com.au/sport/back-to...0714-3eyi.html
    Yup, blame the defenders but praise a forward line that can kick only 10 goals
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

It's the midfielders. A lot of people talk about not being able to win a flag without a gun full foward, but West Coast managed to win one on the back of an elite midfield.

I can't remember a premier (other than Sydney) than didn't have a star studded engine room, or atleast two game breakers in there. We have one and that's Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

It seems either that or our game plan needs changing. Our midfielders are poor and our forward line has no structure. We rely too heavily on rebound from the half back line and that is either being countered effectively by the opposition or being undone through injury.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Yes, more defensive is the answer! Hell, we let our opponents kick a whole 26 goals in two weeks!! Let's ignore the fact that we kicked only 16 goals in two weeks and are only the 10th highest goal scoring team in the comp!

"Our forward line was probably the least of our worries on the weekend, it was actually really one of the few positives.
    La la land!
    Last edited by NMWBloods; 14th July 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    It's more than personel - I think our game plan needs to be looked at.

If you watch Geelong, Hawthorn and the Dogs play, the first thing you notice - apart from the skill level - is how they play on at all costs and generally kick long.
    It contrasts significantly to the Swans' slow build-up, stop-start, chip down the wings to the pockets approach. The good teams have worked out how to beat us.

Unfortunately I don't think we have the players to play any other way.
    The running teams generally DON'T kick that long it's more like 30 - 35 metres to a lead 2 metres ahead of their opponent. Then there are always support players streaming past. When the Swans players take a mark, there are rarely support players running past, SO THEY ACTUALLY RUN BACKWARDS 20 METRES!! The trouble is the skill level just to hit a target from 30 metres is really dreadful, going over heads OR too short, and if you can't kick thru the ball and get goals, it's all over, because 10 goals in four quarters is about all The Swans are capable of ATM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast