Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What changes are needed to go from also rans to a contender?

What do we need to be contenders. Very simple.

About 5 years and some high draft picks. Our cycle is finishing and will take a time to go back up. It was good while it lasted. We are exposed against the top teams who have learned to counter our style of footy. The top teams have too much speed and skill. This was clearly shown last Sunday. God help us when we play the Cats.
    SYDNEY SWANS.....THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN LIVING MEMORY.

Veterans List
    Re my previous post. Get Ablett and Bolton out of the centre bounces. On the odd occasion they get the ball it is under extreme pressure because they are as slow as treacle, and they are scrappy clearances, and besides they always play a defensive role. Hawthorn clearances from centre bounces were quick, clean, crisp and targeted.

We really have to start using a different midfield rotation mix. Our is past its use by date and predictable. Why is it that Kirk and Goodes can cover ground and find the footy but the rest of them can't. Roos is right but will he do anything about?

I don't include Craig Bird because he is playing mainly off the wing and is genuinely showing up our more experienced smalls. Moore might do something if he is played in the midfield and has a chance to shake his inevitable tag.

On the Rookie List
    Cant believe what Iam reading 2005 lost rounds 14 15 we were the not best team but as it turned out a bit of luck we won the flag we must finish top 4where are we now 2 points ahead of coll and we play them again 12 teams are below us Iam sure they would like to be 4th (go eagles ha ha ) or would you

fly on the wall carltons dressing room before sundays game

Juddy walks in and starts to get ready feels a little strange looks in the mirror and sees his ears are big and starts to hop around sees fevola and notices he is doing the same thing and asks what happening

" we are playing the swans we are thier bunnies "11 straight come on
    remember its not the early 90s living in melbourne barracking for the sth melb/ sydney or the late 70s

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    No way! By some miracle, MOL is playing better (and looking less pained) than he did in the 2003-06 period. He's doing things that he could most recently do in the early 2000s and before. The guy's found the fountain of youth. He would be mad not to go on in 2009.
    MOL WILL CERTAINLY BE PLAYING IN 09.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Which may even be the case (or not).

Either way, I will be on board and believing in everything they do until if/when we are eliminated.
    Call it blind faith if you like, but that's me and always will be me.

My religion is Red and White. My Pope is Paul Roos. My Disciples are the players. We are the Pilgrims.
    The Pope wears red (shoes) and white (robes) God bless 'im, now if he could just get the boys kicking straight.

Quote Originally Posted by NTH DENI SWAN View Post
    fly on the wall carltons dressing room before sundays game

Juddy walks in and starts to get ready feels a little strange looks in the mirror and sees his ears are big and starts to hop around sees fevola and notices he is doing the same thing and asks what happening

" we are playing the swans we are thier bunnies "11 straight come on
    remember its not the early 90s living in melbourne barracking for the sth melb/ sydney or the late 70s
    Lol wtf?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Re my previous post. Get Ablett and Bolton out of the centre bounces. On the odd occasion they get the ball it is under extreme pressure because they are as slow as treacle, and they are scrappy clearances, and besides they always play a defensive role. Hawthorn clearances from centre bounces were quick, clean, crisp and targeted.

We really have to start using a different midfield rotation mix. Our is past its use by date and predictable. Why is it that Kirk and Goodes can cover ground and find the footy but the rest of them can't. Roos is right but will he do anything about?

I don't include Craig Bird because he is playing mainly off the wing and is genuinely showing up our more experienced smalls. Moore might do something if he is played in the midfield and has a chance to shake his inevitable tag.
    Have to agree with you Nico. Whilst Bolton and Ablett have their missions, I cringed when I saw those 2, Kirk and Jolly in the centre square at a crucial time in the game, alas the ball went the other way. We do need quick hands/feet/minds in the centre, more often than we are getting them now.

Quote Originally Posted by big bear View Post
    What do we need to be contenders. Very simple.

About 5 years and some high draft picks. Our cycle is finishing and will take a time to go back up. It was good while it lasted. We are exposed against the top teams who have learned to counter our style of footy. The top teams have too much speed and skill. This was clearly shown last Sunday. God help us when we play the Cats.
    Correct, The Swans look like PLODDERS compared to the top teams like Cats, Dogs, Hawthorn, even Norths, it's a running 'take em on game' now, which does require high levels of skill and teamwork. It pruduces much more adrenalin to play like that and in the end is probably less tiring.
    The Swans do it sporadically.
    They will have to get out of PLODLAND TO BEAT tHE BLUES TOMORROW.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456