Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Lyon and St. Kilda: I was wrong!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries

Ross Lyon and St. Kilda: I was wrong!

Yep, it's a humble pie thread. Sort of.

I have often been critical of Ross Lyon's coaching since he went to the Saints, and on this board I've lamented the fact that he's attempted to transplant our game plan to the more talented St. Kilda team.

After watching the replay of the Saints-Hawks game, however, I have changed my mind. The Saints were fantastic in the second half against Hawthorn, and given that this is their fourth win in a row now, I am thinking that perhaps they have finally found the key to unlocking their massive potential, with this largely due to the discipline imposed by the Roos-Sydney-Lyon-St.Kilda-tempo-stoppage-footy-ugly-whatever-you-want-to-call-it game plan.

The 'conventional' wisdom when Lyon took over was that the Swans' style would add an element of hardness to the Saints' still very talented line-up, and while it took a while, I think they are starting to reap the benefits. It was a total team effort on Saturday night, and they now look to be a far more even team, yet still led from the front by Riewoldt, who's been terrific of late. They probably won't finish top 4 unless we and the other teams above them falter badly, but they are my dark horse for the flag nevertheless.

I might put a few bucks on them to take all the glory in September. After all, the only thing that Lyon hasn't copied from Roosy is to win a flag from nowhere!

They're very likely to win their next 2 (West Coast and Port) which would have them 11-7 and well and truly in the race for 4th spot, but having said all that, I'd like to see them beat a finals-hardened team like Collingwood (in a few weeks' time) before I talk them up any further. Otherwise I'd just look silly, you see?

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I wouldn't begrudge old man Harvey a Granny thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    unless it was against us!

Saints have a pretty easy run, with the exception of Collingwood and maybe the Crows. - they get WC. Port, Freo,and Bombers as the rest. Still Saints have promised so much over the years and have failed to deliver when it really counted. So dont know if they could really threaten the likes of Geelong, Bulldogs (and maybe even us!). then again - they have lost the unlosable too. We wait and see.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

You're not serious? I hope St Kilda and it's army of obnoxious feral supporters never experience another grand final again.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    You're not serious? I hope St Kilda and it's army of obnoxious feral supporters never experience another grand final again.
    Hear, hear.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by wardy
    unless it was against us!
    And with this.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I wouldn't begrudge the PLAYERS a flag, regardless of whether Harvey was playing or not. As wardy said they've promised so much in the last few years that you could argue that a premiership is long overdue, sort of like Spain in Euro 2008. As for their fans, well, all clubs have their share of feral supporters and I do have a few (non-feral, of course!) saints fans in the extended family so I'll just let that one slide for the time being.

As BeeEmmAre said, all this goes out the window, however, in the unlikely event we make the GF. I already know what losing one feels like, I don't want to see it happen again!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    I agree with this.
    Have you ever been to a St Kilda v Sydney game in Melbourne, especially either of the finals in 2004 and 2005?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Have you ever been to a St Kilda v Sydney game in Melbourne, especially either of the finals in 2004 and 2005?
    1999 at Waverley Park - we smashed em and they were feral.
    2000 at Docklands (opening weekend) - we won easily.
    2004 semi at the MCG - we lost by 51 points in @@@@ty conditions. It hurt a lot, especially the 4 hour drive home, but I still wouldn't begrudge Harvey a flag as long as it's not at our expense.

Their supporters IMO are a long way from the worst I've seen.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

I find StKilda supporters to be amongst the dumbest and biggest whingers.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    I find StKilda supporters to be amongst the dumbest and biggest whingers.
    And they have been so arrogant since the media said they had the best list in the AFL.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    2004 semi at the MCG - we lost by 51 points in @@@@ty conditions. It hurt a lot, especially the 4 hour drive home, but I still wouldn't begrudge Harvey a flag as long as it's not at our expense.

Their supporters IMO are a long way from the worst I've seen.
    They were so vile at that game. They have no idea how to behave graciously when they win, because they do it so rarely.
    Occupational hazards:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast