Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rising Star presentation

Surely the fact that Schneider played 22 games has got to count for something.
    You would think!!!

and was an integral part of one of the best forward lines in the comp.
    Ah that must be why - the whole team has played well so he didn't stand out individually... Honestly, what planet are these selectors from?

On the Rookie List
    Hawthorn?s Sam Mitchell is the 2003 National AFL Rising Star.

Mitchell enjoyed a great season, playing his 21 games in the midfield. The dashing blond became known for his ability to win centre clearances. In fact he topped the AFL with 135 clearances.

His impressive season statistics (199 kicks, 54 marks, 174 handballs) are proof of the great support he provided his midfield teammates including Shane Crawford, Peter Everitt, Richard Vandenberg and Rayden Tallis.

Mitchell has worked hard to gain regular senior selection. Originally from Mooroolbark in Melbourne?s outer eastern suburbs, Mitchell became the only player at the Eastern Ranges Under 18s to win two best and fairests, taking out the award in 1999 and 2000.

Overlooked at the 2000 National AFL Draft, Mitchell played with the Box Hill Hawks in the VFL. Despite playing only 11 matches, he won the VFL's best and fairest award, the 2002 Liston Trophy, polling 31 votes to win by 12 votes. He also won the Box Hill Hawks? best and fairest that year.

Mitchell was selection 36 in the 2001 National AFL Draft. He made his senior debut in Round 5 2002 and went on to play nine senior matches and was named as an emergency eight times. In his first season, he won Hawthorn's 2002 most determined player award.

Mitchell won the National AFL Rising Star award polling ahead of Graeme Polak (Fremantle), Luke Ball (St Kilda), Daniel Wells (Kangaroos) and Adam Schneider (Sydney).

On the Rookie List
    We do have to face facts that there is a Melbourne mafia in the AFL establishment and that they are very anti Sydney...We really don't have much of a chance with a lot of these award things

Congrats to Adam for a great showing ...

I hope I get to eat my words during the Brownlow..and I hope the Melbourne Mafia get to drown their sorrows when we win the flag!

Originally posted by pillowtalk
    You would think!!!

Ah that must be why - the whole team has played well so he didn't stand out individually... Honestly, what planet are these selectors from?

Maybe they're the Martians Sheedy's always talking about. LoL
    Actually, they're the All Australian selectors.....doesn't augur well for any Swannies getting in the All Australian team.

On the Rookie List
    Well a hawk is 'mathematically' in the top 8 now! They got what they set out to achieve, did they not?

I'm quite shocked that there was such a difference in Sam and Adam- I thought Schneids should have got more of a look in than that!

...... he's still our little star!

Originally posted by chewyonyourboot
    We do have to face facts that there is a Melbourne mafia in the AFL establishment and that they are very anti Sydney...We really don't have much of a chance with a lot of these award things

Congrats to Adam for a great showing ...

I hope I get to eat my words during the Brownlow..and I hope the Melbourne Mafia get to drown their sorrows when we win the flag!
    Yes, there is a huge conspiracy within the Melbourne media, determined to prevent any Sydney player/coach/officials from winning any award. The group with the title WHS(we hate swans) is led by Caroline Wilson and is financed by the Essendon and Collingwood football clubs.

These two clubs have colluded to ensure that any mention of the Sydney football club is removed from the Melbourne papers. And when Paul Roos misses out on coach of the year, and no sydney players are name in the AAT first 18, well we know who to blame, dont we?

Veteran Site Admin
    Looks as if the judges were more impressed by a few dominating games than by consistency. Mitchell aside - who deserved his win, clearly - most of the other players who finished above Schneider played a handful of dominating games and others where they made pretty much no contribution at all. Their best was probably better than Schneider's best, but their worst was also far worse. Seems that some of those judges gave Schneider no credit for his consistency at all.

Guess that without knowing the criteria on which they base their voting, its hard to comment further. Maybe they don't expect youngsters to make consistent contributions and hence are more on the look out for their potential to dominate a game.

Senior Player
    I'm sure a premiership medallion would erase any of the pain Schneider may be feeling now

Senior Player
    neo, dont ya think schneider shouldve polled better?

i thought he shouldve been 3rd myself...

On the Rookie List
    It's a shame that Schneider polled low in the votes (he should have been awarded at least one votes from every judge). Sam Mitchell is a worthy winner and I'm very happy for him, but Schneider was definitely more consistent then the rest. Oh well, wait until the cup comes to Sydney this year. We'll forget about everything else that falls against, be it Rising Star, All Australian, Brownlow, etc. etc.
    Sydney Swans Premiers 2005 - The Mighty Bloods

On the Rookie List
    I would have thought that the medal is awarded to the player who is most likely to be a "Star".

I did think Mitchell was great and a deserved winner, however AS should have polled better that say Polack.

AS was a cult figure almost instantly, played all 22 games, thrilled the crowd and looked like a "Star" in the making.

Rarely was he beaten in contests, kicked goals and influenced games regularly (did Polak and I missed it?).

Some of you guys are sometimes so one-eyed it is ridiculous and it's embarrassing for suggestions that the "Melbourne Media Mafia" was the reason Schneider didn't win.

Mitchell was clearly the best youngster of the year. I saw Polak in a few games and he looked fantastic - a maturity that belied his young years and really stood up in a number of games against quality forwards. At 16ppg and only 2 games with <10, it's hard to say Ball didn't deserve his votes.

Schneider probably should have voted higher than Wells IMHO, but they were only a few apart and at the end of the day does it really matter whether he finished 4th or 5th?!? Maybe there's an argument that he should have finished closer to Ball too, but again, it doesn't really matter.

The key things are firstly that he was never going to win and secondly he is going to be a champion player for us.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast