Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roos blames injuries

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think @@@@e skills and dumb decisions and Bazza's RPMcMurphy impersonation had more to do with last night but think of the fringe candidates and injuries

* Fossie - injured
    * Davis - injured
    * Schmidt - injured
    * Laidlaw - injured
    * Barlow - injured
    * DOK - injured
    * Vez - playing but not fit

Add those to Goodes, Mal, Magic, Leo and Bucky's suspension and Roos has a serious decision to make

Persist with plodders like Ben or try a Smith or Currie or Brab
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

There have been a number of matches this year we were a rabble.

They appear clueless.

I have no idea why but I am sure others no what I mean.

Senior Player
    We had plenty of inside 50s. We just did not create enough opportunities up forward.

With Hall just back, O'Loughlin out, Playfair going down early and Adam Goodes injured... I think it is probably fair to say that injuries played a part.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Was probably at the airport making sure that Nick D did not get on the same plane as Sonny Bill.
    Made me laugh, thanks!

I think Roos made the point that it's tough to win in this competition if your players aren't fit and healthy, and to some extent I agree, for instance Goodes is one of those players that when firing does lift the team and we do miss something when he is down. Playfair might be at best a journeyman, but what he does do is contest (better than Hall atm I might add!), and we missed that when he went off.

But it's up to the coach to pick the best team possible from the players available. Why not give Jesse White a go if Goodes isn't right? Brennan apparently kicked 9 in the reserves a while back, we could do a lot worse than give him a run up forward if Playfair is going to be out. We're still 4th, and will probably be little more than a speed bump for the Cats in the qualifying final on their way to another flag, but I'd like to see the coaching staff at least experiment a little with selection when there are injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMase View Post
    We had plenty of inside 50s. We just did not create enough opportunities up forward.

With Hall just back, O'Loughlin out, Playfair going down early and Adam Goodes injured... I think it is probably fair to say that injuries played a part.
    Don't dispute that, but Adelaide didn't exactly have their best team on the park either.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Veterans List
    We'll struggle to win many games without Leo, Magic, Malceski, Goodes, Hall and with O'Keefe and Kenneally carrying injuries especially when we're down to 21 players early.

Crows outplayed and outcoached us last night and we weren't desperate enough but injuries clearly played an imprtant role.

micky o was a critical loss last night I thought. At least when he is on the park you have a reliable contested mark up forward and a decent target (Granted he can still be wayward in front of the sticks) who most weeks will take some decent grabs and kick at least a couple. Last night we could just not get marks inside 50. We got in there enough, but 9/10s of the marks were in the pockets on tough angles or too far out to score regularly.

Injuries played their part, but our tactical ineptness to cope with the flood was far more the root of the problem. For Adelaide were missing some more then useful players as well. We needed to run far harder and play on far more often and better. I think if we had of had a bit more consistent run out of the back and looked to run through the corridor with lots of runners rather then going wide then we might have had more of a chance to counter the adelaide tsunami moving backwards as soon as we got the ball.

On the Rookie List
    How can you kick 17 points and hope to win? Injuries did not cause bad kicking and bad kicking is bad football.No point having a first class defensive forward line that can't kick goals when they force a turnover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12