Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it injuries or do the Swans need a clean-out & to rebuild

This is a tad off the topic but i gotta put it somewhere!
    I thought Crouch provided good run yesterday particularly in the second half like the Crouch of 2005. If he gets bak to that he will go on imo.
    OUR EDGE IS REG

Quote Originally Posted by jenky28 View Post
    This is a tad off the topic but i gotta put it somewhere!
    I thought Crouch provided good run yesterday particularly in the second half like the Crouch of 2005. If he gets bak to that he will go on imo.
    Yep - that was the best I've seen him since 2005. Gives the selectors some decisions though over what we do in the future.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

a few points sort of crop up here.

Our use of people in the forward line seems wrong, people are playing in completely different spots in the ressies then chucked into the senior side in an opposite role.

I think the forward line has become a weak link purely because we almost hide players there.

I think our form slump has shown we have a brighter future than a lot outside the club think.

My biggest concern is where are the key defenders comming through?, wheres someone who is earmarked to play there? is it barlow?

I think we are in the midst of rebuilding and we have done well to be 4th in a transitional year.

I would personally clean out the following players at this stage

definite

mathews- got a lot out of himself but cant make it anymore
    crouch- good game on the weekend, maybe play the year out, but has little to offer beyond this season

buchanan- we have enough hard nut types, does he over anything more than say moore? who is a lot younger- though i will be surprised if he goes

my maybe pile

fosdike- though if he got fitness back has a bit to offer

davis- if we arent picking him get rid of him, though belongs in the side imho

ablett- wont happen is in the senior group, but has not developed and is treading water- needs a different role though and im a fan of his so its a tough call.

j.bolton- only because he has trade value- wouldnt delist, i think his stocks outside the club are highish

lrt- is he ever going to make it?

playfair- see above- but could stay

essentially i think we have an abundance of in and under rugged midfielders who scrap away with a lack of class and skill. We need to be looking for key defensive and forward posts.

I think we have good young mids and rucks look promising. But im not sure who the bookends are in the future.
    Theres not much left to say

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    When we trade for players or draft picks do we then consider our game plan and change it to suit the list. Look at the way Rocket has the Bulldogs playing, and the difference from the flooding he introduced to Sydneys game. It's all controlled by the players you have

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post

j.bolton- only because he has trade value- wouldnt delist, i think his stocks outside the club are highish

He has little or no value now - was on the tble last year and didn't attract anything. Why do people continually suggest he has currency.

I would be happy to be proven wrong - but don't think it will happen.

Trade value for high picks - Goodes, ROK & Jolly. But what do you get in return?
    sprite

the media (and all but the most hopeful of us) thought we'd bottom out with Kelly, Schwatta, Maxfield, Dunks, Lockett, Cresswell et al all retiring or close to retiring at the end of the 2002 season. Roos proved that we didnt need to get anywhere near the bottom of the ladder to be successful, and Im hoping this will be the case again.

He had inherited a team of stoppers and grinders and developed his gameplan accordingly. It'll be interesting to see what he envisages in the next few years- if he doesn't indeed leave like he's been promising all these years - and if he'll have a change of philosophy about the way the game is played. Im praying that the likes of McVeigh, Moore, Jack, Bird, Vez and co really blossom and allow us to play an attacking brand of footy (it seemed this way before the mid season break).

Like others, just worried about our lack of tall options at both ends of the field. We've always been able to trade for a big forward, but ever since Dunks and Roos himself left, we never really had a true KPP backman and our defensive gamestyle has resulted because of this.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by dendol View Post
    the media (and all but the most hopeful of us) thought we'd bottom out with Kelly, Schwatta, Maxfield, Dunks, Lockett, Cresswell et al all retiring or close to retiring at the end of the 2002 season. Roos proved that we didnt need to get anywhere near the bottom of the ladder to be successful, and Im hoping this will be the case again.

He had inherited a team of stoppers and grinders and developed his gameplan accordingly. It'll be interesting to see what he envisages in the next few years- if he doesn't indeed leave like he's been promising all these years - and if he'll have a change of philosophy about the way the game is played. Im praying that the likes of McVeigh, Moore, Jack, Bird, Vez and co really blossom and allow us to play an attacking brand of footy (it seemed this way before the mid season break).

Like others, just worried about our lack of tall options at both ends of the field. We've always been able to trade for a big forward, but ever since Dunks and Roos himself left, we never really had a true KPP backman and our defensive gamestyle has resulted because of this.
    I agree that KPP defenders have all but dissappeared from our list. Our defenders seem to be ad-hoc types.

I'd love to see another Paul Williams type of player running around too. Someone who can take the ball on the wing and run it to 50 and unload an accurate pearler to blow all our heads off.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfrou View Post
    I agree that KPP defenders have all but dissappeared from our list. Our defenders seem to be ad-hoc types.

I'd love to see another Paul Williams type of player running around too. Someone who can take the ball on the wing and run it to 50 and unload an accurate pearler to blow all our heads off.
    The KPP thing isn't just at the Swans. Across the board there's an increased focus on rebound and mobility, plus there are fewer "gorilla" forwards to mark because they, too, are expected to be mobile.

Someone like Jesse White has size, a good leap, sound spoiling instincts and is quick, and he's looked more convincing at reserves level as a defender than as a forward. He doesn't seem to have natural instincts of when to lead, nor does he read the ball coming forward particularly well. But his good closing speed and excellent leap mean he's not bad at defending against a leading forward. In his two senior outings he's looked lost up forward. I wish they'd give him a shot at FB (though not against Pav this weekend!!).

Jack might eventually become a Williams type if he gets let off the leash. He has the speed, though not yet the powerful build. But if his dad is anything to go by, he should have the genes to bulk up a fair bit.

I always hoped that Schneider might turn into a Williams-type. He had the same chunky build, the speed and a penetrating kick. Sadly he never developed the endurance while with us.

The other likely type is Veszpremi. Yes, we have to "keep a lid on things" where he's concerned but his powerful build and style (especially for an 18yo) and his thumping kick were on display yesterday. When you see more of him you'll also see he navigates his way through traffic with aplomb and has excellent vision. He's a little taller than Willo or Maxfield but he has the raw attributes to become that kind of player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Thomson View Post
    When we trade for players or draft picks do we then consider our game plan and change it to suit the list. Look at the way Rocket has the Bulldogs playing, and the difference from the flooding he introduced to Sydneys game. It's all controlled by the players you have
    The benefit of many low draft picks.

On the Rookie List
    Crouch has a year to go on his contract and if he can maintain what he did in the second half he can go on. He has played little football in the past two years so no wear and tear. Mathews, Everitt and Davis are probably finishing and perhaps Leo. But I see a bright future. I go back to that NAB Cup match against Hawthorn. We have youthful talent. The gaps appear to be at the KPP level. Grundy, White, Murphy, Faulks, LRT(still developing) are all possibilities down back but it is in the forward line that there might be some gaps.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by bigswan View Post
    Crouch has a year to go on his contract and if he can maintain what he did in the second half he can go on. He has played little football in the past two years so no wear and tear. Mathews, Everitt and Davis are probably finishing and perhaps Leo. But I see a bright future. I go back to that NAB Cup match against Hawthorn. We have youthful talent. The gaps appear to be at the KPP level. Grundy, White, Murphy, Faulks, LRT(still developing) are all possibilities down back but it is in the forward line that there might be some gaps.
    We will no doubt trade for a big name forward post-Hall???

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfrou View Post

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The KPP thing isn't just at the Swans. Across the board there's an increased focus on rebound and mobility, plus there are fewer "gorilla" forwards to mark because they, too, are expected to be mobile.

Someone like Jesse White has size, a good leap, sound spoiling instincts and is quick, and he's looked more convincing at reserves level as a defender than as a forward. He doesn't seem to have natural instincts of when to lead, nor does he read the ball coming forward particularly well. But his good closing speed and excellent leap mean he's not bad at defending against a leading forward. In his two senior outings he's looked lost up forward. I wish they'd give him a shot at FB (though not against Pav this weekend!!).

Jack might eventually become a Williams type if he gets let off the leash. He has the speed, though not yet the powerful build. But if his dad is anything to go by, he should have the genes to bulk up a fair bit.

I always hoped that Schneider might turn into a Williams-type. He had the same chunky build, the speed and a penetrating kick. Sadly he never developed the endurance while with us.

The other likely type is Veszpremi. Yes, we have to "keep a lid on things" where he's concerned but his powerful build and style (especially for an 18yo) and his thumping kick were on display yesterday. When you see more of him you'll also see he navigates his way through traffic with aplomb and has excellent vision. He's a little taller than Willo or Maxfield but he has the raw attributes to become that kind of player.
    I must admit after the second quarter debarcle against the dogs I left the pub I was at to go to my little brothers birthday party and I hear Ves had an impact in quarters other than the second. But with all the talk I would love to see the Eski pin point a 50 m pass out of the back line to the Vespi free on the wing - him run to the 50m line and bang away straight over the umpires head... anybody else like to see that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12