Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig Bird- Rising star

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How have other youngsters gone this round?

Could a solid season then 18 disposals against the best team in the land be enough for Craig this round?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Probably Morton or Daziell from the Lions will get it this round. Bird was pretty good though. That side step was quick.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    How have other youngsters gone this round?

Could a solid season then 18 disposals against the best team in the land be enough for Craig this round?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Probably Morton or Daziell from the Lions will get it this round. Bird was pretty good though. That side step was quick.
    Would agree with Jeffers about Dalziell or Morton, but Bird would hopefully get a gong in the last 2 rounds.

Nominees so far are:

01 - Houli (Ess)
    02 - Hill (WBD)
    03 - Palmer (Frem)
    04 - Jack (Syd)
    05 - McKinley (WCE)
    06 - Rioli (Haw)
    07 - Wonaeamirri (Melb)
    08 - Tippett (Adel)
    09 - Ibbotson (Frem)
    10 - Brown (Coll)
    11 - Kreuzer (Carl)
    12 - Cotchin (Rich)
    13 - Morton (Haw)
    14 - Garland (Melb)
    15 - Riewoldt (Rich)
    16 - Reimers (Ess)
    17 - Ebert (WCE)
    18 - Urquhart (NM)
    19 - Grigg (Carl)

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Blog Entries
    I didn't see the Lions game, how did those two go?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I didn't see the Lions game, how did those two go?
    Dalziell was excellent again - 27 poss and a superb goal from the boundary line.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I think Bird will turn out to be better than a large portion of the nominees this year, so I'm not too concerned whether he gets nominated or not.

He's a footballer becoming an athlete, instead of the other way around. I'd rather that over the Trent Croad recipe for success. Along with Vez and Schmidt, he has one of the best football brains amongst the young players.
    Spot on DA that's the way it should be,but theres no to many people who have that natural ability or so called x-factor.

In the sport i participate in i reckon 1 out of every 1000 maybe would have that natural ability.

If you are one of the lucky ones its a lot easier to get fit.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Quote Originally Posted by NMWBloods View Post
    Dalziell was excellent again - 27 poss and a superb goal from the boundary line.
    he is older though, maybe too old? i am not sure
    Theres not much left to say

Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    he is older though, maybe too old? i am not sure
    21 years 5 months
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Veteran Site Admin
    I haven't watched the Lions for quite a while now so I've not seen this kid play. Therefore can't comment on his games and he may well really deserve a nomination.

There does, however, seem to be a bit of a trend at the Lions with first year mids racking up possessions in their first season but failing to go on with it. Scott Harding was a ball magnet in his first year, then it was Cheynee Stiller. Neither is a regular in their team a season or two on. At least in part it must be that Matthews gives his very young midfielders licence to just go out and hunt the footy. That is in contrast to Roos who seems to prefer to give his young midfielders a specific role to do before they graduate onto becoming playmakers in their own right.

I know not everyone is a fan of the defensive mindset of the Swans' midfield but I think it is clear this is what happens. Bird definitely started his career with run-with roles, if not exactly tagging roles, and has now graduated into winning more contested ball around the packs. He's also starting to position himself really well to receive uncontested kicks but at important times. Twice last week in the last few minutes when we were hanging on against Freo he went to exactly the right spot to help relieve the pressure.

Regardless of whether he gets RSN in the final couple of weeks or not, I am very happy he's playing for the Swans. Can't wait to see him when he has another pre-season or two under his belt.

I've been really impressed with Bird. I am sure he will be a star.

Reminds me a lot of a young Jimmy Bartel. Not quick, not flashy, but gets the ball and uses it very well. Very skilful in all aspects of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I think Bird will turn out to be better than a large portion of the nominees this year, so I'm not too concerned whether he gets nominated or not.

He's a footballer becoming an athlete, instead of the other way around. I'd rather that over the Trent Croad recipe for success. Along with Vez and Schmidt, he has one of the best football brains amongst the young players.
    I much prefer the option of taking footballers and improving their fitness and athleticism, than taking an athlete and trying to teach them football. A footballer understands the flow of the game and where to position themselves and can read where the ball is going. This is one of the keys to success of Geelong IMO, and answers one of the other threads about positioning.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Blog Entries
    Phwoar, that's a decent return. If he's eligible he should get the nod over Craig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast