Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Media Conspiracy Theory (in Melbourne)

Warming the Bench

Angry Media Conspiracy Theory (in Melbourne)

I am thoroughly cheesed off! (In Melbourne)

Hardly any free-to-air Swans games.

Hardly any coverage in The Age or Herald-Sun leading up to the games. Nothing in the Hun for Saturday.

The Swans played on Saturday night. No paper in this age of internet and fantastic communications could manage to include coverage on Sunday of the match (only the score and votes). But they can manage to put in colour photos and a write up of the other games.

Monday papers - Herald Sun a piece written as though it was a backup of something that appeared on Saturday (but never did) - i.e. no proper match report. The Age - NOTHING!!

Blanket coverage though if they dwell on any of Barry's real (or imagined) misdemeanours, and include Adam Goodes here as well.

Today Tonight featuring Barry's 2nd girlfriend. Give us a break!

If they do deign to give us a report the other side is brave. We are lock down, flooding, defensive, ordinary, lucky....

Anyone else feel like me?
    Last weekend in Sept 05 - The best weekend of my life!

Yep we are dudded,but the so called Swans paper in Sydney is not much better.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    I am thoroughly cheesed off! (In Melbourne)

Hardly any free-to-air Swans games.

Hardly any coverage in The Age or Herald-Sun leading up to the games. Nothing in the Hun for Saturday.

The Swans played on Saturday night. No paper in this age of internet and fantastic communications could manage to include coverage on Sunday of the match (only the score and votes). But they can manage to put in colour photos and a write up of the other games.

Monday papers - Herald Sun a piece written as though it was a backup of something that appeared on Saturday (but never did) - i.e. no proper match report. The Age - NOTHING!!

Blanket coverage though if they dwell on any of Barry's real (or imagined) misdemeanours, and include Adam Goodes here as well.

Today Tonight featuring Barry's 2nd girlfriend. Give us a break!

If they do deign to give us a report the other side is brave. We are lock down, flooding, defensive, ordinary, lucky....

Anyone else feel like me?
    ...and on top of this, if you watch the AFL footy show, the swans match is either the last game or the second last game they (cough) preview (cough), and when they do preview it, they spend about 15 seconds on it and move to the next segment of the show.

I also noticed that there was hardly a mention of how drab and low scoring the first two and a half quarters of the hawks game was but when the swans play in a similar game it is the swans fault the game is being played that way and it is boring, lockdown etc etc etc.

The hawks and the lions do it and it is just good hard football (that yes thankfully did break open half way through the third term).

Hard to condemn the media for lack of coverage of a Sydney based team into melbourne.
    They can do whatever the hell they like.

The AFL on the other hand, owes it to Victorian based Swans fans to increase the number of free to air games.
    The Swans owe it to Vic based fans to demand this from the AFL.

In the end it seems that it will all be a bit of a waste of time with live streams from the internet.
    Soon enough the TV rights worth will plummet, and like the music industry, the AFL will have themselves to blame
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

The club could do more to preserve its links with Melbourne. There is nothing the club has done recently to suggest the ties to South Melbourne are anything more than an inconvenience for them.

It would be nice if they played in the South jumper at least once this year, which doesn't appear to be happening. The Lions' links to Fitzroy are far more tenuous than Sydney's history, yet they now play in the Fitzroy jumper every away game in Melbourne (and Tasmania it seems).

The club is concerned that by playing in the South jumper it will alienate Sydney-based fans. I think that's an insult to all supporters of the club.

Perhaps some of the anger you have should be directed towards the club itself, rather than the media.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Warming the Bench
    Well if you go to any of the Melbourne games and listen to the radio coverage, commentators marvel at the number of supporters in the red and white (as if they have seen it for the first time) but I would suggest that Melburnians regularly turn up to support the Swans.

It is hardly like covering a West Australian team in Melbourne - there are original Melbourne links and there would be many of the population who would like more coverage of the Swans in the media. We are not all interested in what Ablett eats for breakfast or how Dale Thomas changes his hair colour. Just a modicum of coverage would be an improvement!

I think it is very poor that the Swans PR and AFL seem to do nothing about this situation. It is a good way to turn the fans off.
    Last weekend in Sept 05 - The best weekend of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by swannymum View Post
    It is a good way to turn the fans off.
    It sure is.
    And it has turned me off.
    I have nowhere near the passion for my team when I don't get to see them play.

More troubling than that though is the kids.
    I have 5 little Swans supporters who have minimal interest in footy because they have not been able to develop a passion.
    We to to games when they are down here sometimes, but they just don't get that repeated exposure that they would from watching games regularly on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    The club could do more to preserve its links with Melbourne. There is nothing the club has done recently to suggest the ties to South Melbourne are anything more than an inconvenience for them.

It would be nice if they played in the South jumper at least once this year, which doesn't appear to be happening. The Lions' links to Fitzroy are far more tenuous than Sydney's history, yet they now play in the Fitzroy jumper every away game in Melbourne (and Tasmania it seems).

The club is concerned that by playing in the South jumper it will alienate Sydney-based fans. I think that's an insult to all supporters of the club.

Perhaps some of the anger you have should be directed towards the club itself, rather than the media.
    Do you have inside knowledge hammo?

The Sydney Swans do care maginley about Melbourne based fans.If you want to ask the hard questions e-mail [email protected],he is the media manager in Sydney or [email protected] at the melbourne office to get in contact with Tony Moorewood.

The Swans should play ever Melbourne game in the old South gurnsey,and if Sydney based fans dont like it then they can get stuffed.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

On the Rookie List
    You blokes wouldn't have a clue what the Club does or doesn't do regarding supporters in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. You just bitch and moan when anything happens you don't agree with. It's all about yourselves.
    Call yourself supporters. Thank God most sane people have not heard of this so-called forum for Swans supporters.
    Jim Main and Martin Blake are absolutely right: under the cover of anonymity you bag everything and everybody (particularly our players) that you don't like: not constructively but personally and with vindictiveness.
    To prove my point, I've done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Member View Post
    You blokes wouldn't have a clue what the Club does or doesn't do regarding supporters in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. You just bitch and moan when anything happens you don't agree with. It's all about yourselves.
    Call yourself supporters. Thank God most sane people have not heard of this so-called forum for Swans supporters.
    Jim Main and Martin Blake are absolutely right: under the cover of anonymity you bag everything and everybody (particularly our players) that you don't like: not constructively but personally and with vindictiveness.
    To prove my point, I've done the same thing.
    You proved the point that you whine and bitch.

But made no other point.

Your post = useless and nonconstructive.

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post

Agree with all that. The South jumper should be worn in every away game particulary in Melbourne. The Bloods media is very pedestrian. Need to throw the switch to vaudville occassionally FFS. We aren't boring on the paddock but we are duller than a Sunday night in Nowra off it.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast