Thread: Kick Ins

Kick Ins

im not sure if this topic has been discussed, but wanted to get people's opinions who should do kick in's and if our tactics should change offensively that is.

i have to say that all our kick in's freak me out. personally i like tadgh to take the kick in, and imo im not all for the short kick in as it gives time for the other team do reset defensivley up field. the only reason there should be a short kick in is if it is deperately needed.

numerous times ive seen players free outside the 50 from a kick in and it never goes there, or rarely does i should say.

but yeah, just want to get ur views on who should kick in and what tactics you would like to see implemented

Leo,Bevo,LRT or Noggy should get the kick-in's.
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    im not sure if this topic has been discussed, but wanted to get people's opinions who should do kick in's and if our tactics should change offensively that is.

i have to say that all our kick in's freak me out. personally i like Tadhg to take the kick in, and imo im not all for the short kick in as it gives time for the other team do reset defensivley up field. the only reason there should be a short kick in is if it is deperately needed.

numerous times ive seen players free outside the 50 from a kick in and it never goes there, or rarely does i should say.

but yeah, just want to get ur views on who should kick in and what tactics you would like to see implemented
    I love it when teams play on quickly from the kick in, bomb it long to outside the 50 metre line to a player on the run and by the time he has one bounce he's entering the offensive 50 from a direct defensive play. Collingwood did it to us three weeks ago, someone kicked it out to Dane Swan who was on the run and then they got a goal I think.

Sometimes I do wish the Swans were a bit more inventive with their kick in's but we all know how horribly it can go wrong when they try!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Certainly discussed before but worth another shot. Our kickins are risible compared to other clubs. We delay too long and never take advantage of the chance to get moving quickly. If we're going to hold the ball, the midfield or forward area is the place to do it, not the defensive I50.
    And while Tadhg and B2 are OK, I'd like to see others have a go - Mattner might be a possibility, or Noggy - one thing he can do is kick the ball a long way.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    not too bad at all

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Certainly discussed before but worth another shot. Our kickins are risible compared to other clubs. We delay too long and never take advantage of the chance to get moving quickly. If we're going to hold the ball, the midfield or forward area is the place to do it, not the defensive I50.
    And while Tadhg and B2 are OK, I'd like to see others have a go - Mattner might be a possibility, or Noggy - one thing he can do is kick the ball a long way.
    Yes, i didn't know whether swanstastic was being sarcastic above but I certainly agree with dimelb that Luke Abblett can kick the ball a mile. Does he have the smarts to take on the opposing team's defence when time is of the essence?? I guess we'll never know (unless Roosey is reading this post LOL).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just take advantage of the new rule and kick it in quickly!

Go through every player on the team and give them a license to take kick-ins to uncontested players within set conditions, so;
    • LRT gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 20 metres away from the goal square, but can't play on
    • Bevo gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 20 metres away from the goal square, and can play on
    • Spida gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 30 metres away from the goal square, but can't play on
    • Spida gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 30 metres away from the goal square, and can play on

etc. etc. If the conditions aren't there then fine, go to the fallback options of Marty/Tadhg etc.

Get it out quick. Teams are more than happy to give up the short kick to the pocket, there's a reason for that.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

Just take advantage of the new rule and kick it in quickly!

Go through every player on the team and give them a license to take kick-ins to uncontested players within set conditions, so;
    • LRT gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 20 metres away from the goal square, but can't play on
    • Bevo gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 20 metres away from the goal square, and can play on
    • Spida gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 30 metres away from the goal square, but can't play on
    • Spida gets a license to take a quick kick-in to an uncontested guy 30 metres away from the goal square, and can play on

etc. etc. If the conditions aren't there then fine, go to the fallback options of Marty/Tadhg etc.

Get it out quick. Teams are more than happy to give up the short kick to the pocket, there's a reason for that.
    Bevo is a quarterback. He doesn't do kick-ins.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Bevo is a quarterback. He doesn't do kick-ins.
    Well of course, but I'm suggesting that they need to give set parameters for every man that runs out onto the ground; messiahs included.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    Ilike Marty taking the kick ins, he's accurate, can kick long if necessary and is smart. If the opportunity is there he willl take it. Otherwise we hold the ball up as is our game plan

Paul Roos for PM

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    It's certainly one new now old rule the Swans have failed miserably to exploit and it is hard to fathom why the defensive coaches have't tidied this area up.
    Get it moving light lightning boys FFS.
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.