Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ground advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    This is a little off the track of the topic, but:
    The AFL is financially strong enough to prop up a Western Sydney team. You can be damn sure that the team will get the opportunity to have blockbuster games (eventually) such as Westies v Swans etc.

As has already been mentioned:
    1. TV rights with a game in NSW every week = big increase in $$
    2. Growing the game in the 'neglected' geographic centre of Sydney
    3. Getting to see more quality teams playing in Sydney, whether it is Blacktown or Homebush
    4. Additional media focus on the AFL generally in this market.
    etc etc....
    A relocated Melbourne team would be just the shot. The AFL cannot prop up a financial disaster in the cash strapped Western Sydney (the mortgage and bankruptcy capital of Australia) as well as the financial basket case that you support. For charity give the Salvos a bell.
    Bevo bandwagon driver

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    A relocated Melbourne team would be just the shot. The AFL cannot prop up a financial disaster in the cash strapped Western Sydney (the mortgage and bankruptcy capital of Australia) as well as the financial basket case that you support. For charity give the Salvos a bell.
    I'm waiting.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

This debate again? And it's not even September yet

There's lots to like about either ground:

SCG:
    The shorter length means that our relative lack of runners doesn't hurt as much
    The atmosphere is excellent with a smaller crowd than ANZ Stadium
    Usually a better surface than ANZ

ANZ Stadium:
    Personally for me it is a lot easier to get to. Parking and traffic are streets ahead (haha) of the awful Moore Park spaghetti
    Facilities are much better
    The shape of the ground encourages us to straighten up and go through the middle
    Higher capacity

I think the mix is about right at the moment : 7-8 at the SCG and 3-4 bigger games at Homebush. Just in hindsight, games against West Coast and Essendon not such a great idea, not to mention playing Geelong when we were in awful form

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post
    Nice try, perhaps a smidgen of the handouts the Swans have recieved over the 25 odd years since their relocation + the ongoing 'Sydney top up to the salary cap' to cover increased living costs could be shared around. I understand Perth's house prices have outstripped Sydney's over the last few years.....
    Last edited by goswannie14; 20th August 2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: removed abusive part of post

Nice try, perhaps a smidgen of the handouts the Swans have recieved over the 25 odd years since their relocation + the ongoing 'Sydney top up to the salary cap' to cover increased living costs could be shared around. I understand Perth's house prices have outstripped Sydney's over the last few years.....
    If you are going to complain then at least get it right.

These 'handouts' to the Swans were actually loans and have all been repaid with interest.

The living costs reflect the real extra cost of Sydney, plus the worst grassroots football infrastructure of any state.

As for housing prices, Sydney still has the highest median house price, still 9% higher than Perth's and 20% higher than Melbourne's.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
    Hey lets come up with a name for the new 2nd Sydney team!!!

I suspect that they are gonna have to be named after a suburb/city, rather than western sydney etc - i think that will lead to a never ending comparison, eg "Western Sydney Bogans" vs Sydney Swans...
    They're the Blacktown Bogans.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    They're the Blacktown Bogans.
    A team after your own heart Annie????

Opportunistic Join Date Bob Neil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
    I am rather sure that a second Sydney team will struggle. First, who are their fans gonna be? Not me. I think most Sydney sider Swans fans are very unlikely to change their loyalties. So, its gonna take them ages to build a fan base.
    I can't wait for the McBogans to start - I'm dumping the latte-sipping Swans and heading west. Just think about the agro in the crowd at games - the intra state hatred is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    If you are going to complain then at least get it right.

These 'handouts' to the Swans were actually loans and have all been repaid with interest.

The living costs reflect the real extra cost of Sydney, plus the worst grassroots football infrastructure of any state.

As for housing prices, Sydney still has the highest median house price, still 9% higher than Perth's and 20% higher than Melbourne's.
    Don't bother.
    Clowns like Kanga still believe that Santa Claus is real.
    Never interested in the truth, just keep perpetuating urban myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Don't bother.
    Clowns like Kanga still believe that Santa Claus is real.
    Never interested in the truth, just keep perpetuating urban myth.
    So it is okay for your team to get a loan and repay it, but not the NMFC. Go figure? That really is flawed logic.

As for Santa Claus, are you ready to spoil that party for all the kids on this site? No doubt Paul Roos is waiting under the tree each Xmas for a forward capable of kicking goals!

Good luck this weekend......

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    So it is okay for your team to get a loan and repay it, but not the NMFC. Go figure? That really is flawed logic.

As for Santa Claus, are you ready to spoil that party for all the kids on this site? No doubt Paul Roos is waiting under the tree each Xmas for a forward capable of kicking goals!

Good luck this weekend......
    I think you're using flawed logic Kanga. In every instance the AFL has loaned Sth/Sydney money, there has been conditions attached. One of them was to relocate to Sydney!

Nth Melbourne has exactly the same offer (If not better). When NMFC does go down, and let's be honest, without AFL intervention, it's going to happen eventually, you'll get little sympathy aanywhere, let alone here.

Quote Originally Posted by reigning premier View Post
    I think you're using flawed logic Kanga. In every instance the AFL has loaned Sth/Sydney money, there has been conditions attached. One of them was to relocate to Sydney!

Nth Melbourne has exactly the same offer (If not better). When NMFC does go down, and let's be honest, without AFL intervention, it's going to happen eventually, you'll get little sympathy aanywhere, let alone here.
    ...and why would I look for sympathy here? Every time I offer a constructive comment someone on hear goes back to the old NMFC bailout/Gold Coast relocation saga. Tiresome.

Sticking to the point of the thread seems hard for you guys when I offer an opinion. Shame.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast