Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ground advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Nice try, perhaps a smidgen of the handouts the Swans have received over the 25 odd years since their relocation + the ongoing 'Sydney top up to the salary cap' to cover increased living costs could be shared around. I understand Perth's house prices have outstripped Sydney's over the last few years.....

Kanga, the VFL didn't know what it was doing when it sent the Swans to Sydney. It could not afford to watch the club collapse, as this would have crippled the code in Sydney, and compromised development of the national competition. And whatever financial assistance was given to the Swans over the years will pale into insignificance compared to what's needed to establish a credible team in western Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Kanga, the VFL didn't know what it was doing when it sent the Swans to Sydney. It could not afford to watch the club collapse, as this would have crippled the code in Sydney, and compromised development of the national competition. And whatever financial assistance was given to the Swans over the years will pale into insignificance compared to what's needed to establish a credible team in western Sydney.
    So it seems someone will finally agree (partly) with what I said in #20.

This is a little off the track of the topic, but:
    The AFL is financially strong enough to prop up a Western Sydney team. You can be damn sure that the team will get the opportunity to have blockbuster games (eventually) such as Westies v Swans etc.

As has already been mentioned:
    1. TV rights with a game in NSW every week = big increase in $$
    2. Growing the game in the 'neglected' geographic centre of Sydney
    3. Getting to see more quality teams playing in Sydney, whether it is Blacktown or Homebush
    4. Additional media focus on the AFL generally in this market.
    etc etc....

All of this will be beneficial for the AFL and the Swans! The Westie's v Swans game will become a grudge match like Port v ADL & WC v Freo.
    TV rights $$ will (again) be used to pay for any expansion plans.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    So it seems someone will finally agree (partly) with what I said in #20.

This is a little off the track of the topic, but:
    The AFL is financially strong enough to prop up a Western Sydney team. You can be damn sure that the team will get the opportunity to have blockbuster games (eventually) such as Westies v Swans etc.

As has already been mentioned:
    1. TV rights with a game in NSW every week = big increase in $$
    2. Growing the game in the 'neglected' geographic centre of Sydney
    3. Getting to see more quality teams playing in Sydney, whether it is Blacktown or Homebush
    4. Additional media focus on the AFL generally in this market.
    etc etc....

All of this will be beneficial for the AFL and the Swans! The Westie's v Swans game will become a grudge match like Port v ADL & WC v Freo.
    TV rights $$ will (again) be used to pay for any expansion plans.....
    It sounds like you're assuming the best case scenario will come to pass. Being a Sydneysider, I have my doubts about the whole thing. I think you will find it was much easier to establish the Swans in Sydney than establish a second team.

What do we all want as swans fans ? TO WIN THE FLAG. We should be making it hard for the other clubs to play us on our turf.chopping and changing home grounds won't help us.if the swans want ANZ to be there home, Train there 24-7 not once every 1-2 months

On the Rookie List Darren Thomson's Avatar
    This stirs people up abit doesn't it? ANZ is not the best lpace to watch footy. The SCG is much better for spectators, if you spend the money for the better seats. You gotta love the Orielly stand on centre wing, at ANZ its 75 bucks to sit in what would be the outer at SCG, I was horrified first time I went there. The ground condition is in question a lot of the time because of League, union and every other game they play there, the retractable stands leave the wings in disrepair and make the players use the corridor, which creates more stoppages because they are all in there fighting, as it should be, for the ball. Personally, you can't beat the atmosphere of the SCG, next year it will hold 44000, although I remeber a game agsinst Cats some years ago where they claimed 44000. 96 prelim final was chockers and the noise was deafaning. At Anz you can't hear the crowd from the other side of the ground, I winder if the lpayers even know we are there

Paul Roos for PM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234