Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Pies beat Swans this week, should Swans play kids & lose last game

As Billy Brownless said on the radio this morining about the boomers taking on the dream team and the fact that the dream team is $1.01 for a win.. "If there blood in it it's human"... after much mirth it was corrected "If there is blood in it it can be killed". Billy had to give up on philosophy. What he meant to say was ...

If you're in it you have a chance - If you ain't you got none.

We follow footy and we want our team to be there in September! I would rather lose in September than not be there - ask Richmond if they would trade losing in the first week of the finals against being 9th about 5 times in the last 10 years.

Swannies for the the premiership medal!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by swantastic View Post
    Then why would he say it then Nmw,i took it the same way as hammo,Royboy and Scott.I think your reading between the lines a little too much and IMO he's happy for us to get smashed.
    FWIW I interpreted it the same way as NMW.
    Last edited by AussieAnge; 20th August 2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: correct typo

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieAnge View Post
    FWIW I interpreted it the same was as NMW.
    Ditto.

On the Rookie List

Angry

2005 the luck came our way nick davis against geelong okeefe against stkilda leo barry you are a star maybe its the v mans turn or birds come and get behind them we may not even have to beat geelong

ask any body who followed sth melb finish 9th you sydney people hang your heads

Quote Originally Posted by NTH DENI SWAN View Post
    2005 the luck came our way nick davis against geelong okeefe against stkilda leo barry you are a star maybe its the v mans turn or birds come and get behind them we may not even have to beat geelong

ask any body who followed sth melb finish 9th you sydney people hang your heads
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

I held the cup with Roosy Mark Busuttil's Avatar
    Are you guys for real? I love the Swans & do not want to see them smashed. As some people have correctly interpreted, if we lose this week & win next week, then I think we will play a meaningless final & get smashed. I say this because I've seen too many Melbourne finals where we have been smashed. If I thought that it would acheive anything, then I would want to see the Swans play finals. However, maybe it would make the team hungry to miss out, have a high draft pick & place pressure on a few players to retain their spot. I'm not sure that making finals every year without winning any is a good thing. Our form against the top 8 sides is not good. Does anybody honestly think that we could lose this week, yet beat Brisbane & win a final as well?
    2005 will live forever (or until we win another premiership)

GO BLOODS!!!!!!!!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by 31 hard at it View Post
    In 1970 I stood (for 5 hours) and watched the Bloods run onto the MCG for the first final in many many years.
    We had tears in our eyes as we watched Bobby run around for his only ever final.

Never take a finals experience for granted. It should not be devalued because we have a winning culture now, i.e. we expect to be in finals !

Every season and every chance should be taken.
    Enjoy 2008 for what it has given us (yes a share of heartbreak) and what it still might bring.

Finals experience is exactly what Bird, Ves, etc need to get that hunger.
    Top post! almost shead a tear reading about Bobby's only final!

In 1970 I stood (for 5 hours) and watched the Bloods run onto the MCG for the first final in many many years.
    We had tears in our eyes as we watched Bobby run around for his only ever final.

Never take a finals experience for granted. It should not be devalued because we have a winning culture now, i.e. we expect to be in finals !

Enjoy 2008 for what it has given us (yes a share of heartbreak) and what it still might bring.

Exactly, although I have no 1970's experiences to talk about, I can tell you, having followed the swans from around 1979 onwards, that it was pretty dry in the early to mid 80's as well. When the Dr Edelston period came about, it was great, unfortunately even that only lasted a couple of seasons. We got smashed in the finals, but it was great to be there. We then had to wait another 10 seasons...thats TEN seasons people, until we tasted finals actiona again(1996). So just remember, dont take finals games for granted.

On the Rookie List
    You can recover your form by kicking two goals in a row. If we beat Brisbane of course we can win a final in Melbourne!

Beating Brisbane at home is a far cry from beating Hawthorn or Geelong or even the Bulldogs in Melbourne.

There seems to be a bit of a perception that we could be a threat in finals because of our past or something. Unfortunately that's gone and it's unlikely we will be a finals threat. A drop in our performance is hardly going to be surprising though. Most teams that appears in a number of consecutive finals seasons, including one or two GF appearances, drop back to the bottom of finals or outside the top 8 in the next few years. There are few exceptions to that and there is little reason why we should be. The critical issue is for the club to recognise that quickly, dump any underperforming older players and rebuild effectively over a couple of years to return us to the top quarter of the ladder.

Love it !
    My old man saw some great players in ordinary teams, then Ive watched some very good players in real bad teams and for the last 10 or so years have watched a pretty competitive,proud footy team go around in finals year after year. Wouldnt want the early 90s back .
    Est 1874
    SMFC

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Beating Brisbane at home is a far cry from beating Hawthorn or Geelong or even the Bulldogs in Melbourne.

There seems to be a bit of a perception that we could be a threat in finals because of our past or something. Unfortunately that's gone and it's unlikely we will be a finals threat. A drop in our performance is hardly going to be surprising though. Most teams that appears in a number of consecutive finals seasons, including one or two GF appearances, drop back to the bottom of finals or outside the top 8 in the next few years. There are few exceptions to that and there is little reason why we should be. The critical issue is for the club to recognise that quickly, dump any underperforming older players and rebuild effectively over a couple of years to return us to the top quarter of the ladder.
    So according to you, we should just give up on 2008 right now. Paul Roos to players....

"O.K. Lads, its round 21, we are sitting in sixth place on the ladder, if we win one of our next 2 games, we will enbark on yet another finals campaign, unfortunately, I think it would be better to lose those 2 games, dump a few senior players, make way for some youth, dwell down the bottom of the ladder for a couple of seasons and hopefully draft and trade well enough to get us back up the ladder in seasons 2011 and onwards. Apologies to Hall, O'loughlin, Kirk, Jolly Bolton and co.."

God am I glad you have nothing to do with selection at the club and also am glad I dont have to sit next to you at the games. I'm sure you would be a riot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast