Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Potential Comp Re-structures for 2009 and beyond

aka Mr Taxman
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Well put.
    Rafters- Sydney Afl v EPL? The water boy in 4th division EPL gets the same amount as all the players combined in SydAFL- good point.
    QUOTE=Offal;406512]
    I do tax returns for very small family run businesses and also for some of the largest companies & well-known people in Australia ... whilst the figures are somewhat different in size it is amazing how similar the core issues are for each type of business.

I was merely providing examples (also take the main AFL comp where no reserve or u/18s for AFL clubs concerned) where the elite level in sport have different structures in play ... wouldn't we be a little bit myopic by not using our combined IQ of 340 & look at other sports/competitions & see what they do right (and wrong) and learn from them?
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Rafters you raise a lot of good points but you lose me on the EPL comparison of promotion and relegation. The biggest problem i see with the EPL is that its uncompetitive, only 3 teams can realistically win it and the bottom 3 who go down often go into administration because of the inflated prices they had to pay for players when in the top grade.

I could see a team being promoted and then spending a stupid amount of money to be competitive, not performing and being dropped back down and all of a sudden they were broke.

I remember playing against those awesome Parramatta teams of the early 90's and the money spent brought the club to its knees. My argument is that i think it will happen again.

On the retired list
    Boring!!!!
    Time to play the Game!!!

Oh really t-rock. I thought u would have better things to do than be on r&w online. Like maybe having an end of year drink with ur teammates.

On the retired list
    The team mates would be ok, my issue is with the coach.....he is a grade A peanut!!!

STILL BORING!!!!!
    Time to play the Game!!!

filling up the bottles
    oreally

I agree

On the retired list
    Maybe the coach should follow in the footsteps of the GR8 one, T-Rock, and retire?

I thought I'd get out now before the league gets completely screwed with the proposed "restructure"!

It's all a bit......................BORING!!!!
    Time to play the Game!!!

Restructure

I agree with that Radar idiot! I thought he had no idea, but it seems he has one....the restructure will be the end of a few clubs.

Clubs rely on other grades for support, for income (through canteen sales) and to perform fiunctions such as running boundary, water, messages or goal umpiring.....how does the restructure cater for this???

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    From the restructure document.....

Clubs being split ?

A draft draw has been done with the following results:
    - 0f 162 home games, on only six occasions will the senior and reserve grade sides not be at home together;
    - Of the 162 away games, 105 times the seniors and reserves will be at the same venue (i.e 2 in 3)
    - With the away games clubs will have at least two teams at the one venue on 136 out of 176 times

In summary, yes the clubs will be required to be split on occasions however if you look at the current situation at games, the majority of the lower grade players have left the ground by ? time of the next match.
    Clubs who have Under 18?s Premier Cup, Challenge Cup or Second Division sides have been dealing with split clubs for years.
    The importance is to have all club teams play at home together and as mentioned above this is achieved on all but six occasions.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

aka Mr Taxman
    Quote Originally Posted by shearer View Post
    I remember playing against those awesome Parramatta teams of the early 90's and the money spent brought the club to its knees. My argument is that i think it will happen again.
    Actually money had nothing to do with Parra's demise ... the club was & still is to my knowledge reasonably cashed up ... a thousand suspensions from 1991 GF coupled with political power plays at committee level led to a player revolt to a few other clubs (where former goannas were coaching).
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    1) Sorry to offend you Pekay, but I stand by what I posted.
    There is no need to attack someone else personally because they don`t agree with your opinion.

Everyone from the lower divisions is still missing the point.

If you were that hell bent on improving the competition as you all say you are, you would be prepared to sacrifice your own club for the betterment of football in your area. By this I mean we need to merge a lot of the current clubs in the lower levels together.
    Why?

Currently in the Penrith/Hawkesbury area there are two clubs - Penrith & Nor-West Jets. They generally get four senior sides on the field each week - the only reason they struggle for numbers (or have done so in the past) is because they are coming up considerably stronger clubs, which results in players continually walking away from the game. So the players are there.

You merge those two clubs for instance, and then you end up with two stronger sides who probably still won`t compete with Manly, UTS, etc and you then create a whole set of new problems (eg far more travel for training, etc). And merged clubs result in a lot of disaffected people walking away due to bitterness at the merge.

And what do you do with all the other players who suddenly don`t get a game because of the merge? Do you create new clubs? Or do you blow the Second Division out to 14, 16 or more sides which becomes even more unwieldy? (Incidentally , if you want to know how well mergers work, try and track someone down who was involved with the old Blacktown club and ask them how they think the so-called merge with Parramatta in 1995 went. ).

And why do betterment of the competition and retention of clubs have to be two mutually exclusive concepts? Answer - they don`t have to be. Frankly, clubs being forced to merge simply because they are playing in an inequitable competition is no answer whatsoever. Senior football in Sydney in particular is about growing the game - not compacting it. Why on earth sacrifice clubs when the problem is the structure of the competition?

Might I point out that this is most certainly not an argument for giving clubs easier games - it is an argument for having equitable competitions. Two completely different things. Because you can have an equitable competition while still having hard games (which is what you prefer in any case), but you can`t have an equitable competition where the difference in talent (and depth) between competing sides is so vastly different. In the latter case, the games aren`t just hard, they are ridiculously lopsided.

If you people from the lower divisions think people in Premier league don't care your wrong. We understand what we think would be of benifit to the Sydney AFL.
    From what I have seen in this thread, and from personal experience, I strongly disagree with the bolded comment.

And I have no doubt that you think you know what would benefit Sydney football, but it is from the Premier Division perspective only (your argument for mergers shows this perfectly). This is totally understandable of course, as you can only comment from your own experiences.

Divisionalizing Sydney football along these lines has been mooted for a number of years. This is not the first time it has been suggested - simply the first time it has been formally proposed. Personally I don`t know if it is the way to go as I am not in favour of splitting teams. However, from the suggested document if this aspect can be minimized it is certainly worth looking at.

I have had a strong interest in Sydney footy since the early 80s. In that time there have been competition restructures, teams coming and going from competitions, teams folding and competition name changes. Far too many changes in fact. And the current situation (ie farcical First Div comp and a `slops` Second Div comp) shows that after all those changes things still haven`t been fixed. Even the Premier Div is far from perfect if you wanted to be brutally frank.

Perhaps the AFL thinks that a restructure along these lines provides the best framework and structure to cope with all future competition changes as senior footy in Sydney keeps growing. Compared to the perpetual fiddling, chopping and changing I have seen in my time taking an interest in the local game they could well be right.

The other point I wish to make is that getting the lower divisions of Sydney football right can only be healthy to the game at all levels. I saw someone mention that Alastair Richardson came from Penrith (I think). I wonder how many other Alastair Richardsons have been lost to the game (and most likely the Premier Division) because of the current lack of competitiveness in First Div. Having footy healthy at all levels benefits everyone - not just the immediate clubs concerned. Strong football at the lower levels benefits the top level and vice-versa.
    Last edited by mountainsofpain; 26th August 2008 at 11:24 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast